Low fat versus low carb

Options
I’m wondering who out there has personally tried BOTH low carb and low fat diets? And did you notice any difference between the two with; weight loss, energy levels, mental clarity, mood, or anything else worth mentioning

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    I've tried both...weight loss is down to lower calories, full stop.

When I was actively losing weight I was set at a lower carb/higher fat split. I was usually around 45%-50% fat, about 100g-125g carbs. That seemed to keep me happy and to stop me over-eating.

It's hard to compare, but since fat is the more important nutrient I'd say it was a better deal for me to go lower carb.

After experimenting to see if I liked one or the other, now that I'm at a maintenance weight I tend to eat right at the default macros these days and feel the best. (50/30/20)
  • Sarahgracetln
    Sarahgracetln Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It doesn't have to be one or the other. There is a whole middle ground. For weight loss I find Keto to be highly beneficial but all my initial weight loss was mainly just calorie counting and focusing on protein.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone!

Thanks for coming back <3
    So yes, eat the way you want, just less. The weight will come off.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Weight loss the same

Most people look and perform better in higher carb diets

I personally look god awful on low carb/keto
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I base my dietary goals around protein because I feel the best like that. I try to keep my carb and protein intake about the same. I try to eat 100+ grams of protein a day, about 100 grams of carbs a day and about 50 grams of fat a day. I don’t sweat it if my numbers are perfect but I can tell my appetite is much more reasonable when I eat healthy macro balanced food.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I have done variations of both. Never went too low in either direction. I felt unsatisfied at low fat, and with low carb I had very intense cravings and wasn't happy with my body composition. I like medium carbs (200-300g) and fats (about 75-90g), but would go a bit lower fat vs lower carb though if I had to choose. Too low carb and I find I look soggy and flat. Carbs help fill my muscles out.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There has been stuff in the media over the years touting either low-fat or low-carb as being better or even necessary for weight loss and for health. These were often based on single studies indicating one or the other. As it turns out, our bodies respond best, in terms of health, from balanced, nutritious diets. We lose weight through eating fewer calories than we burn. It's as simple as that.

If you want to learn about healthy eating, start with the "Healthy Eating Plate" at https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/. If you want to lose weight, stick to eating at a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Neither. I feel better with moderate macro levels, and my weight loss/gain has always tracked with calories regardless. I struggle with hunger whenever any macro gets too low accidentally.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    There has been stuff in the media over the years touting either low-fat or low-carb as being better or even necessary for weight loss and for health. These were often based on single studies indicating one or the other. As it turns out, our bodies respond best, in terms of health, from balanced, nutritious diets. We lose weight through eating fewer calories than we burn. It's as simple as that.

If you want to learn about healthy eating, start with the "Healthy Eating Plate" at https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/. If you want to lose weight, stick to eating at a calorie deficit.

I would actually agree with eating less calories for weight loss, but not with a "balanced" diet being the "best" . There is no best. There is evidence from current hunter gathering populations that show that people can thrive on extremely high carb diets or diets high is fat. Protein being almost identical. Both groups have nearly ideal bf, glucose, and blood pressure. What they have in common is more interesting. High amounts of fiber from plant material,near complete absence of hyper processed foods, and high activity rates.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I have tried both. Low fat didn’t do anything special, low carb made me sick and spiked my anxiety.

Now I just count my calories try to make sure I get enough protein and don’t overthink my macros.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose low for anything then it would be fat as I don't find it at all filling and especially in tasty forms such as nuts and cheese I can very easily overeat.

I thrive on a high carb diet, gives me loads of energy, wide variety and starchy carbs are my most filling/satisfying/enjoyable foods.
  • rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I have done both and now need to count calories and also do very low carb together in order to lose weight. I have tried it without doing both and I always stop losing weight (wasn't true 25 years ago). I adore carbs of all sorts, however, although I could simply count calories when I was younger, now I need to both do that and keep very low carb to lose weight. Apparently, my insulin production/sensitivity changed at some point (and I've never been diabetic or pre-diabetic). Protein is my savior since it keeps me satiated longer without any carbs.

Haven't really seen any big differences (other than actually losing weight), but I do need to very slightly increase my carbs in order to have the energy/motivation to exercise.