Looking for friends and motivation

Options
Hi everyone just wanted to get to know some people who struggle just like I do I’m 31 years old 5 foot 3 and 450 pounds 😒 I’m hoping to lose 100 pounds this year I’m just starting changing everything I’ve never been on a diet and haven’t exercised since I was a kid does anyone have any tips for someone just trying to better themselves even when this journey seems like the impossible .

Replies

• H2596
    H2596 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @liljroe8888
    The hardest part is starting and you’ve already done that. 👍

MFP tells you what calories you need to be eating to lose weight and any activity you can manage is a bonus. I like walking more than anything else but there’s so many exercises to choose from including free internet classes (some are seated workouts if needed). I do lots of different ones to prevent boredom. Remember starting out has to be both manageable and sustainable - you don’t want to be rushing into something and hurting yourself and if you hate it you’re probably going to struggle to keep it up.

Have you checked out the challenges or groups? I’m in “Rebooting -50lb loss wanted”, which is quite new and could be a good starting place if you’re interested.

Good luck.
  • YemaH20
    YemaH20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am starting all over again. I used this app before and had success. I’ve been inactive for a while, but I’m getting back on track 😊
    I am looking for new buddies for support.
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have 90 lbs left to lose. Being on here and getting gears oiled up is the most positive thing to keep with you for life. We're proud to have ya here to share our journey.

Don't expect physical changes right away unless you're into extremities, I'm not. 'Dieting' is hard but remember, it's unlearning some things to begin a new chapter.
    I promise that in 2 weeks, you won't remember the initial struggle. Frustration equals you're almost there, keep going.
    Focus on nutrition first and take baby steps with exercise. It took me about 4 weeks to get the calorie/high nutrition thing. I burned out for 2 weeks when I started exercising but learned that I needed modifications with the right program. Nutrition has to support your weight loss efforts.
    Make small goals that progress to the final result. I do 2 week check ins for bodily things like weigh in, measurements, etc. However, nutrition and tracking is a daily thing. Eat what you love. Make modifications that have a healthier side. For example, instead of using white bread, use multi grain bread. Instead of regular mayo, use vegan mayo. A lot of folks will emphasis lean meats but if you go too lean, you'll have to add more condiments to prevent dry and tasteless meat which means fiddling too much with calorie and macros adjustments. It's just an example, so with that you don't have to do 99% lean turkey. Stick with 93% lean. More satisfying.
    Anyhoo, read books and articles about why certain foods are good for you. Play with your recipes, I do all the time to hit the spot, especially for dinner. Use your first couple of weeks to get a good view of where you're at. Remember to support yourself despite feeling like you've been thrown against a wall lol.

HUGS 🤗
  • gracie245
    gracie245 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @liljroe8888 pick a simple strategy (like a sensible calorie deficit) and pick a good period of time (maybe 6 months). You'll see change and hopefully you'll be good enough to yourself to say, yep, I can do this. I thought I'd never shift weight and I did. I still have more to go, but I broke it into milestones and put in in my diary. If you fall off the horse, dust yourself off and get back on. It is literally a marathon, not a sprint. You want to set yourself up for the future.
  • Unicornmama612
    Unicornmama612 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is my millionth time on here- I have used it to lose about 120 collective pounds over the year but have always gained back. I’ve noticed that my thought processes tend to get me in trouble so while I am making changes like eating more mindfully and exercising, I am trying to focus on what I am feeling. For example I have always joked about if I’m seen running it’s because there’s a murderer and you should run too. But I recently started with a couch to five k app and I am going faster and farther every run. I am still SLOOOOOW. And I am not going far at all. But I’ve noticed it’s easier to walk up a big hill and I don’t have to take breaks. My body feels better when I drink more water. And I try to tell myself all the things I like about myself such as being a good mom or my sense of humor. I’ve always hated myself into change and it never lasted. This time I’m trying to love myself into better health. I would never ever allow someone to talk to a friend the way I talk about myself, and I have to change that to get all of me healthier. You’re amazing and you’ve got this!
  • carrierose2
    carrierose2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Starting here again as well. Started a new workout that I love so feel I will be more successful this time. Feel free to add me.
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hey , also loooking to lose the similar weight same as most here tracking calories is the best way but its hard. Lovely that you done the hardest step which is starting 💕