Weekend Disaster

Options
I feel like I completely failed my diet this weekend. I do great during the week, but as soon as the weekend hits I blow it. This has become a pattern for a while now and I don't know how to get out of this rut. I keep my workouts up on the weekend, but it seems like when I do my Monday morning weekly weigh-in, I have gained back everything that I burned off during the week. Any advice on how to train my brain to stay focused?

Replies

• Lola922
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat. I lose and gain the same 3-4 pounds every week!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Maybe, weigh in on Friday? That way, if you do have an off weekend, you will have all week to "fix" it.
  • rsuhayda
    Options
    I would change your weigh in day to a Saturday.
  • arykh24
    Options
    I am having this problem also and decided last night to move my weigh in to Sunday instead of Friday...to help me stay on track during the weekend. Good luck!!
  • persanta
    persanta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hiya,

Why not change your weigh day to Friday, that way you have longer after the weekend to burn off your weekend sins!!

It could be worth a try.

Good Luck

Paula x
  • Montco_cancel
    Montco_cancel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer advice, but I have the same problem. My birthday was on Friday so in addition to my normal weekend meltdown I had a crap ton of cake.

Result is a gain of 3 lbs over a few days. Sucks. Good luck though.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    i do the exact same thing almost every weekend. not sure how to break the cycle at this point. Just keep working at it
  • msallymae
    msallymae Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    today is a new day, just press the reset button! dont give up hope.
  • pstaub70
    Options
    I go by the old 80/20 rule...

I try to eat perfect 80% of the time and I don't lose any sleep over the remaining 20%
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in on a Tuesday and changed it to Friday for this very reason!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I struggle with that almost every weekend!! I did manage to keep it in check this weekend and emerged unscathed. I think I may even be down a pound from Friday...which is huge.

I have found that I can either drink or splurge on food, but I cannot do both. This weekend, I actually managed to find a pretty good balance. That meant splitting meals with my hubby...which clearly may be the way to go!! One of us ordered something that we could easily split and the other ordered a salad or steamed shrimp. I also stuck mostly to wine when I drank, with a couple of beers thrown in.

I have often said if it weren't for weekends, I would have been at my goal a long time ago. I go back and forth on my weigh in days. I weigh every day, but my "official" day is Friday. Gives me a few days to work off the weekend, and also lets me know how much damage I have done on Mondays.
  • Tinks2007
    Tinks2007 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Think there are so many people struggling with the same thing as you work hard all week and feel you deserve a break at weekend, and it would be really hard to be good 24/7 maybe its looking at alternatives for weekends where you still get treats but that are maybe not quite as bad for you, my downfall was when my partner comes home at weekend we go out for a curry so now I have started having sizzlers as they are just as nice but better for you and I try to do extra exercise to account for it, doesnt always work especially when you have a few drinks to
  • shreyaj
    shreyaj Posts: 196
    Options
    I agree with maybe changing your weigh in day to something different. I'm having the same problem on the weekends except with beer. Give yourself a reasonable limit on the weekend one that you can stick too, if you eat out 4 times a weekend for instance cut it down to two for next week and gradually reduce the things that you are eating so that when the weekend rolls around you don't feel like your depriving yourself.
  • Pristess
    Pristess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just accepted the fact that one day a week, I’m going to blow my diet, and so I give myself 1 free day. (Hey, it’s better than two, right?) On that day, I try to eat the amount of calories recommended to maintain my weight, so that I don’t ruin my hard work and gain. Allowing myself to have whatever I’ve been craving all week that one day is enough to keep me dieting the rest of the time. We’re only human and can only do so much, even with dynamite willpower.
  • cladou2
    cladou2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have my weigh in first thing on Sunday morning, which really helps me focus during the weekend. Also, Sunday is our busy day with church, housecleaning etc which keeps me from being idle. I don`t keep junk food in the house, that REALLY helps. Then again, if you know you are going to be out for a long time, pack a some good healthy snacks and just refuse to stop in anywhere to get junk food. When I have snacks handy, I usually can wait until I get home to eat a healty meal. It works for me, but everyone is different. Think of all your possibilities!
  • yes_i_can
    Options
    Plan, plan, plan!! I wouldn't change your weigh-in day... that just lets you ignore the fact that it happened.

For me, it's all about planning the meals ahead of time, and not having extra calories available in the house. Plus, if you take advantage of the extra weekend time to throw in some long workouts, you can allow yourself to eat a few extra guilt-free calories, plus, you won't have as much idle time to think about cheating.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was like that in the beginning. You just have to learn self control, period. Once I really started seeing that I was getting some where in my weight loss, I just got over myself. I still have issues now but I know that if I let myself go and eat wheatever I want, I'll be right back where I started. And for me, that is just not an option. I consider this a lifestyle change and my lifestyle is not going to be binge eating on the weekend and trying to kill myself during the week to make up for it. Just STOP. You are the only one that can control yourself. Don't have junk food in the house. My child is not allowed that food so it is not in the house. Goodness knows we do not want our kids eating crap food while we are trying to get healthy.

Tough love hun, tough love.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Weekends are tough. I try to get in extra, unique exercise on the weekend to make up for my gluttony. There is more time for long walks, swimming, hiking, playing with the dogs, etc. Also, I weigh in on Thursdays to avoid my weigh in day being after the water weight gain from weekend splurges. Monday morning scales are usually up a couple of pounds, but its gone in a day or two. I really need to try to be better on the weekends too! So many excuses.
  • parrothead48116
    Options
    If you can, do something on weekends that really makes you happy and keeps your mind and body occupied. I tend to eat more when I am bored/watching television. Also, my friend told me to try and keep every meal to 300 calories and wait 3 hours between meals. He said the body can only use 300 calories at any one time, and the rest goes to fat. While the 300 calorie limit is REALLY hard, I do know that eating 5-6 times a day is a lot healthier.
  • amwharton
    amwharton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I, too, am in the same boat. I get out of my routine during the weekend and have more access to crappy food. My thought from yesterday was that I need to plan everything out for my weekends. If it is all planned out beforehand, I don't have to worry about going over. A short term fix is that if you know you are going to be drinking or going out to eat, maybe eat less calories during the day so you have more to give that night. I was really good all weekend until yesterday when we got a late invitation to a labor day cookout and my breakfast/lunch calories were already spent.

Long term, we need to figure out what makes the weekends so hard and fix that. For me, part of it is boredom. When I am at home more I tend to eat more because of easy access and because I am bored. As a teacher, summers are hard for me because I am home all day, usually alone, and bored out of my mind. I need to fill my time with other things or I will never make it. I'm not sure what the trigger is for you but figure that out and replace it with something more healthy.