eating disorder

Options
13»

Replies

• stillkristi
    stillkristi Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Sorry about that experience Rose. I was on a very low dose of prozac for a short period of time, because it also tends to suppress appetite. It worked great for about a month, then not so much. I didn't want to go on a higher dose, so ..... here I am, three years later. I lost about 20 lbs at that time which I have more or less kept off.
  • dhutch33
    dhutch33 Posts: 25
    Options
    i know how hard it is to stop. Do you feel guilty if you dont go or dont stay as long?

I do! Plus, I noticed that if I take a day off, it's so easy to skip the next day, too...and then I'm out of my habit.

I just came home from the Y and I actually had a message from my trainer saying she noticed my cardio goal is 90 minutes/week and for the last 2 weeks my average has been 327 minutes/week! (I didn't even realize.) This is in addition to strength training at the Y and at home.

And I don't really "enjoy" it :tongue: but I do enjoy the results.

I think it's a sickness I have though. This seems really abnormal, especially if your trainer has to message you to "stop it, already." :embarassed:

ive been through many of the same issues, i used to go to the gym twice a day and was so embarrassed to be seen that i joined another gym so people wouldnt realize i was going twice! With time my body got REALLY tired and i began hating working out...so from the advice of a good friend, I began taking one day off and made sure I did something worth while..something to look forward to. and after time i began working even harder the day before the day off knowing there was something good to come!!! It takes time...Good luck!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I binge, I fast, I restrict, I go on diets, I exercise compulsively...etc.

You just describe me in college, after I had lost some weight using Weight Watchers. I, too, enjoyed fasting. If I set a goal, such as a 3 day fast, and I was getting weak (not hungry, just weak to taste something), I would get a box of cookies, or whatever, and chew then spit into a cup. I was doing all that, THEN when it was getting close to my graduation and I was drinking/eating out every weekend, wow did I get bloated and gain weight fast! I guess it was then that I changed my eating/non-eating habits....along with the fact I was moving back home with my parents.

I do enjoy seeing REAL results now that are long term. :flowerforyou:
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think there are varying degrees of eating disorders. I do not take this subject lightly and I do understand that it can be life threatening. I just have a tendency to overeat and I use to binge eat which I haven't done in quite a long time. I hope that anyone facing a serious disorder will get help.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone has sought professional help (mental health, not medical) and if you are willing to share what part that plays in your struggle. I have been considering seeing a therapist, but don't really know if I should seek out someone who specializes in weight loss, or just see someone I know is a greta therapist.

I've used therapy off and on for most of my weight loss journey. It has helped me extensively - but it wasn't geared toward weight loss. Really, I ate to cover pain that I didn't want to deal with, couldn't deal with, or wasn't even ready to acknowledge it existed! Uncovering all those issues and dealing with them has helped more than I can say. I really think that those of us that are obese and/or have food addiction issues are really trying to cover up something - jmho! As I get more healed, I have a more normal relationship with food. That's my $.02!