I'm Hungry...

Options
I'm starving.
My Fitness pal has me ingesting 1340 calories a day...which is a big drop from what I'm used to eating, let me tell ya.
I've been working out a couple of times a week just so I can have more food to eat.
Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an adjustment period that I need to go through before I start feeling 'full'?

Thanks.

Replies

• clvdandj
    Options
    i am always hungry! so and it always happens between 1-4 no matter what size lunch i eat...guess ill just have to get used to it! good luck i have no idea.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yup, I had that same problem. It is better now, but I still feel hungry sometimes. I drink lots of water and chewing gum is my friend. You may want to plan out mid morning and mid afternoon snacks, to stave off the big hunger. I try to eat something with protein in the am (an egg or a yougurt) and that helps me get to lunch. If it is really bad, hot tea helps too.

Good luck and hang in there!:drinker:
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    yes, it's hard for your body to adjust immediately from what it's used to. just stick with it :)
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I think that is something you have to get used to. It was hard for me in the beginning but now, I'm fine. Part of it is actually learning what it is like to FEEL hungry. I was so used to being miserable full all the time, I had no idea what real hunger pains even felt like.

Plan your day and make sure you get some snacks so you are not STARVING by the time you do eat.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    There is an adjustment period, yes. It will get better! Also, look at what you're eating. Protein and fiber keep you full longer, and a big plate of veggies fills you up with less calories than a piece of bread, in some cases. Make certain you're drinking your water, too, as that helps keep you feeling full. It helps me to eat smaller meals more often, if that's an option for you.
  • DandyGal88
    DandyGal88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this.
    I'll be glad when I adjust...The other day I saw some kid eating a piece of pizza and I almost ran him over just to steal his crust.
  • Pristess
    Pristess Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Watermelon is my life savor. Very few calories for a lot of food. Keeps me feeling full between meals.
  • SlenderSuze
    SlenderSuze Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try adding a healthy mid morning and mid afternoon snack. Keeps me from being starved and overeating at meal time. Some say it also keeps the metabolism revved up as it's working to digest food throughout the day.
  • willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said. Water and between meal snacks.

Everyone is taught/raised to eat 3 large meals a day. But, 5-6 smaller ones are much better for you, and you won't be as hungry.
  • yokurio
    yokurio Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your body needs to adjust to what you are supposed to be doing. Its easy to have a decent day of eating, and when you end the day and count your calories, you are still over.

Heres what I do to contend with the hunger pains, I do what they say and it really works:

1. Eat 6 meals a day, very small, none of them should be over 300 calories. Its all about balancing.
    2. Always eat within 1 hour of waking up.
    3. Always eat within 30 minutes of a workout.
    4. when you have the hunger pains, drink water or have some almonds... they easily fill you.
    5. eat atleast every 3 hours.

I eat at certain times. breakfast: 6am, snack 9am, lunch noon, snack 3pm, dinner 6pm, snack 8pm.

yes, i eat before bed, but, as long as i'm within my calorie count, it really doesn't matter, it won't kill me. This keeps my metabolism going. I increase my calories if i'm working out that day, not alot, just enough to fuel me. Running burns ALOT of calories, especially if youre training.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    In the afternoon I sometimes find myself hungry. Make sure you are eating lean protiens they help you feel full longer. I also find that if I drink hot decaf coffee or tea, it helps ease the hunger. You can also try some warm beef or chicken broth. I have found some very low calorie(15) and sodium that actually have a grm of protien in them. I found them in single serve packets handy for your work place.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    yep, there is an adjustment period. there are some things you can do to help yourself. first, eat food that takes longer to digest. foods that take longer to digest have you feeling fuller longer. many nutritionists recommend eating some protein with every meal (including snacks) because protein takes longer to digest...and it helps keep your body from eating muscle. also, eat carbs that have a low glycemic index number. these carbs takes longer to digest. meanwhile, carbs that have a higher glycemic index number digest more quickly and cause an insulin spike, which in turn creates cravings.

second thing you can do is drink lots and lots of water (aim for 100-132 ounces/day...not just 64). drinking water keeps you hydrated. hunger is actually a sign that you are not properly hydrated. staying hydrafted helps keep the cravings down. also, water has several other really good benefits for you.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm starving.
    My Fitness pal has me ingesting 1340 calories a day...which is a big drop from what I'm used to eating, let me tell ya.
    I've been working out a couple of times a week just so I can have more food to eat.
    Does anyone else have this problem? Is there an adjustment period that I need to go through before I start feeling 'full'?

Thanks.

here's some tips:
    1. drop the carbs from you diet. Eat meat. Eat fat. Eating stuff that is "heavy" will make you full, longer.
    Avacados, olive oil, eggs, bacon, chicken, salmon, and tons of veggies is a great way to elimate those sugar additions you may have.

2. stop eating wheat, corn, peas, cereals, milk and other foods that have a high glycemic index. Spiking your surgar levels will give you a crash. Yep, even that yogurt for lunch will make you feel hungry sooner.

3. Eliminate MSG and gluten from your diet for a week to end that addiction of food cravings:
    carmel coloring, adobo seasoning and MSG found in most chips and processed meats, processed and packaged foods with malt and modified food starch... May be gluten, a very addicting neurotoxin.

happy training.
  • ajfranzen77
    Options
    Yes! I was always hungry when I first started. I find 90 calorie granola bars help me if I get hungry. Also small apples or a handful of almonds or popcorn. I love popcorn!!! 20 calories for a cup of air popped white popcorn. Drinking water will also help.

Good Luck!! You will do great!
  • erikaphoffmann
    erikaphoffmann Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yes there is an adjustment period. at least there was for me. i had to get myself in the frame of mind of knowing what i was eating and how it effected me. i made myself exercise whenever i got the cravings to eat, as i realized it was habit to get up and go to the kitchen. i wasn't really hungry, i was bored, stressed or anxious. that was 4 months ago. i've lost about 15 lbs. and am down two sizes in clothes. i still eat the things i love most, but have learned that moderation is the key. there are even days now that i eat too little according to MFP, but find i don't eat due to stress, boredom or anxiousness, i now run...

stop thinking of this as a diet. learn what foods will keep you fuller longer. don't deprive yourself of the foods you love, just eat smaller portions. drink lots of water. exercise. it's starts off slow and may be frustrating, but keep it up, don't lose hope, if you eat too much one day, eat less the next. you can't fail if you keep at it!

good luck!
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to get in more protein/fiber in the foods that you are eating. They should help you "feel" fuller longer- and I eat every 2-3 hours.

Breakfast at 8:30
    Snack at 10:45
    Lunch at 1:00
    Snack at 3:15
    Supper at 5:30
    Snack at 7:00 - if I have any calories left- I usually don't because I do spead them out thru out the day.

I have only 1200 calories and I find it difficult somedays to GET ALL my calories in! I do eat lower calorie items for my lunch and breakfast so that my supper can be the more "meater" meal since I go from supper time to next morning with out food. I also try to drink plenty of water with EVERYTHING I eat, even my snacks. I find it helps me.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    It's not how many calories you eat, it's how you USE those calories. I eat lots of raw veggies every day, lots of fruit too. Since I weightlift and bicycle a lot, I go protein heavy for muscle replenishment. I avoid nutritional shakes, instant breakfast drinks and juices.... waste of calories... GIVE ME BULK!!!

Here's my average lunch (look at the quantities):
    5 oz turkey breast (not from the deli -- I roast a turkey breast every Sunday for an entire week's of lunches) - 180 cals
    1 whole medium (or large) cucumber - 24 cals (30 cals for large)
    3 oz baby carrots - 35 cals
    3 oz sugar snap peas - 36 cals
    10 oz watermelon - 80 cals

Total calories 355. Yes, you read that right only 355 calories for over 1.5 lbs of food! Look at what you're eating. Is it processed. Is it a "quick meal" like those nutrition shakes? Replace it with fresh food, and enjoy eating.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest skipping the almonds. Nuts, while healthy, need to be consumed with great moderation. While they provide a healthy fat source, one serving size is too calorie laden to fill most people up.

One handful is easily 200 calories - most people are not content with eating one handful of nuts, so it's a snack that most people easily and often overeat. I would suggest a snack high in fiber and volume, but low in calories if you're looking to curb hunger - a combination of fruit and non-fat cottage cheese works well to curb hunger.
    Sometimes your body needs to adjust to what you are supposed to be doing. Its easy to have a decent day of eating, and when you end the day and count your calories, you are still over.

Heres what I do to contend with the hunger pains, I do what they say and it really works:

1. Eat 6 meals a day, very small, none of them should be over 300 calories. Its all about balancing.
    2. Always eat within 1 hour of waking up.
    3. Always eat within 30 minutes of a workout.
    4. when you have the hunger pains, drink water or have some almonds... they easily fill you.
    5. eat atleast every 3 hours.

I eat at certain times. breakfast: 6am, snack 9am, lunch noon, snack 3pm, dinner 6pm, snack 8pm.

yes, i eat before bed, but, as long as i'm within my calorie count, it really doesn't matter, it won't kill me. This keeps my metabolism going. I increase my calories if i'm working out that day, not alot, just enough to fuel me. Running burns ALOT of calories, especially if youre training.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Here are my tips:

I exercise almost every day to get some more calories to eat - a great motivator to get strong and healthy!

I've noticed that when I do eat meals with a balance of whole grains, complete proteins, healthy and plenty of vegetables for fiber, I am more satiated for longer periods of time.

I would absolutely avoid refined grains and added sugar when possible, even those found in "diet" foods. These will spike your blood sugar only to make you feel more hungry soon afterward.

Drink plenty of water. Avoid caffeine; I've been really hooked lately and I've found it makes me hungry after I drink it. I've replaced my daily coffee with a vegan whole foods/protein shake (Vega or The Ultimate Meal), for the mental boost that I need before work. I'm so excited about the nutrition I'm getting out of it, too!

I agree with other postings, that part of weight loss is getting used to feelings of hunger. Use these tips and give yourself a little time to get adjusted. However, if you are losing more than 2 lbs/week, maybe you are losing too fast and could afford to increase your caloric requirements a little to slow you down to a more reasonable goal and lifestyle.

I do not believe in the 6 small meals a day. Number one, because I feel our stomachs need a break and "fasting" between meals helps my mind stay clear, allowing more circulation to other parts of my body other than my digestive organs. Also, to me, not being able to sit down to a (portion-controlled, healthy) meal is a deprivation that I do not feel is necessary. When my family sits around the dinner table, I want to eat with them, not nibble on some apples and peanut butter. As mentioned before, if you have balanced meals (protein, non-refined carbs, fiber, fat) then you will feel fuller longer. That being said, sometimes I am more hungry some days and I do probably average about 1 snack a day.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in the 6 small meals a day. Number one, because I feel our stomachs need a break and "fasting" between meals helps my mind stay clear, allowing more circulation to other parts of my body other than my digestive organs. Also, to me, not being able to sit down to a (portion-controlled, healthy) meal is a deprivation that I do not feel is necessary. When my family sits around the dinner table, I want to eat with them, not nibble on some apples and peanut butter. As mentioned before, if you have balanced meals (protein, non-refined carbs, fiber, fat) then you will feel fuller longer. That being said, sometimes I am more hungry some days and I do probably average about 1 snack a day.

While this might work for you, I don't know of any respected nutritionalist who would support the idea of restricting the number of meals solely to improve ciculation and give your stomach a rest. The "diverted" energy required to digest a snack is going to be neglible at best, and the benefit in the increase of metabolism far outweighs these concerns for the vast majority of people - especially those looking to lose large amounts of weight.