Any suggestions for a fitness tracker?

My Apple Watch 3 has a snowy/static screen and doesn’t work anymore. Looking for a cheap fitness tracker to use until Apple Watch 6 is released (hopefully this fall). I basically need one that tracks heart rate, steps, and calorie burn. Any suggestions? Looking at Fitbit Versa or Charge but also saw some odd brand ones on amazon that do the same for cheap...but worried about quality/accuracy. Thanks!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Your phone?
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Another vote for Garmin (I have an Instinct). I enjoy not being tethered to a charger! I can go a week and a half or so (depending on GPS use) before changing and for fitness tracking it has a lot of bells and whistles (far different than AW bells and whistles though).

I did find a Garmin something at Walmart on clearance for $30 (regularly over $100) when a new model came out. I also purchased a refurbished FitBit from there years ago and didn’t have any issues with it.
  • Tophers_Motivation
    Tophers_Motivation Posts: 39 Member
    I'm a Garmin guy. They do what I need to track fitness stuff, and not much more. Price is reasonable and connect to MFP.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    More love for Garmin here!
  • cmentis182
    cmentis182 Posts: 36 Member
    Getting a Garmin Fenix 6x Pro tomorrow only because I haven't gotten myself anything for a long time, and it has amazing reviews and spotify is available on this watch. Yay!
  • DeterminedGirl08
    DeterminedGirl08 Posts: 24 Member
    Wow. Thanks for everyone’s input. I will check the Garmin. I want another Apple Watch because I like it coordinating with my Apple phone...phone calls, texts, apps.
  • GetHeroFit
    GetHeroFit Posts: 27 Member
    New Garmin user. I'm loving it more than my Fitbit. The band is comfy (which is needed to track sleep) and it gives me more useful data and a more functional app. Bonus, it's not a touch screen, so the kiddos at work aren't turning it on all day.
  • hawkeye45_
    hawkeye45_ Posts: 812 Member
    If you just need a cheap option to tide you over till the fall, I've had mostly good luck with my Xiaomi Mi Band 4. I am currently wanting to replace it with a Garmin, but it does track steps and sleep somewhat reliably -- when the app doesn't get updated and broken.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I have a Garmin Vivofit. Super simple and it gives me the info I need. Works well with both my IPhone and MFP
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    I'm a beginner runner, and would appreciate recommendations on Garmin trackers. I'm mostly interested in pace, time, and GPS mapping. It would be nice if the device also tracks for other activities, such as swimming, hiking, biking. What would be the benefit of a Vivofit versus a Forerunner? Any compatible with Spotify? Thanks!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    msapplek wrote: »
    I'm a beginner runner, and would appreciate recommendations on Garmin trackers. I'm mostly interested in pace, time, and GPS mapping. It would be nice if the device also tracks for other activities, such as swimming, hiking, biking. What would be the benefit of a Vivofit versus a Forerunner? Any compatible with Spotify? Thanks!

I think any of their watches will do that. (But I think you want to ignore the Vivofit line and look at Vivoactive instead?)
  • msapplek
    msapplek Posts: 95 Member
    @jm_1234 and @NorthCascades - thank you for the intel!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

I don't know about the Vivofit, because as a runner first and foremost, I've always had Forerunners. Started with the FR205 which was like wearing a housebrick on my wrist, but did everything I wanted. Eventually upgraded it to the FR25 which again did all the things a runner requires, but now because I've recently started cycling I've upgraded to the FR45. Again it's mainly aimed at runners, but also has the option of choosing other activites. There are other Forerunners which have more bells and whistles, but I'm happy with it. Check out D C Rainmakers reviews on all things Garmin.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews/garmin
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member

I have a Vivoactive 3 (since supplanted by 4), and use it for walking, biking (indoor & out), rowing (machine and water), canoeing, sometimes strength (but not for calories for strength). Swimming is specialized, and indoor vs. outdoor matters - I think you may need specialized models of watch or chest belt or something, I forget - so you would have to check on that. I rarely swim, and when I do, I don't rely on the sport-specific metrics. (I have a personal problem: I think being on water is good, even great, my favorite . . . but being in water is major icky. So, I have to swim sometimes for practice, but I don't wanna. ;) So, I can't advise on that.)

I know there's a Vivoactive model that does music, but I don't know details because I don't do that, either.

Agree with others that the Connect app is kinda swell, and you can also link it with other fitness-oriented apps (beyond MFP).
  • CM_73

I have a Vivoactive HR, had it a long time now, I pre-ordered one before they were released which must be 2 or 3 years ago now
    The fitness tracking is extremely good, the calorie burn calculation (for me) is accurate, built in GPS so great for tracking all sorts of activities and the battery life is spectacular.
    Downsides: It doesn't always connect to my android phone, both the current Huawei and previous htc's had issues only resolved by switching the Garmin off and on a few times. The stock strap needs constant washing or it caused me rashes. When the strap broke I replaced it with a copy from ebay, that one has been absolutely fine.

One of the most impressive things is the durability. I work on the water and spend a lot of my leisure time in, on or by it. The Garmin is constantly being crushed, submerged in mud, suffers vibration and impact and is regularly submersed in salt water way beyond its depth limits - it just shrugs off everything!
    The step counter is also very good. Whereas my Wife's fitbit clocks up erroneous steps from movement, car journey's etc, the Garmin is far, far better at filtering out false step counts.

All in all, I'm a fan!
  • Hagensieker
    Hagensieker Posts: 25 Member
    I've just started again and am shaking down fitness watches. My advice leans towards.........."it kind of depends on what you do". I tend to agree with most here. Garmin products are superior and I have a Garmin bike computer and two Garmin hiking computers. No watches (yet). They lack one critical element though and the OP hit it. The ecosystem. I also have an Apple Watch Series 5 GPS and cellular and I LOVE that when I roll out on a run or a bike ride that I have a phone on my wrist that has fall detection. Because I fell jogging a while back. No phone with me and at exactly the furthest point from home on my run.

I have a blog and I've been shaking down fitness watches and my criteria. I'd post a link however I'm not sure if that is cool here or not. I just did a shakedown blog on the Amazfit T-Rex and another one on Apple Watch and another one on Fitness Trackers in general.

I'd riot and risk Coronavirus for a Garmin Fenix 6x Sapphire except IT DOESN'T HAVE A PHONE.

I'd be willing to bet in a year or three most of the big players will have a phone onboard but for now if you want the ecosystem and phone you need the Apple Watch.

• KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    I love my Apple Watch but the rest of my family uses Fitbit and it’s sufficient for what they need. That might be a good one to look at for the interim.
  • DeterminedGirl08
    DeterminedGirl08 Posts: 24 Member
    I ended up ordering the Garmin vivoactive 3. I just ordered it today so have not gotten it yet. It was the most economical for me to tide me over until the fall. I got it for $129.99 on Beach Camera if anyone is interested. I almost got the vivoactive 4. But decided to save over $160. I didn’t need the extra features for the use I need it for.
  • CM_73
    Good choice, enjoy!