How to input a certain food?

Options
Hey guys
I’m having lasagne for dinner tonight :P
How would u Input?
Would u scan everything individually as I’m only going to have a slice
Or should I just weigh the slice I’m having and put it as like 200g?
Any advice would be grateful! Xx

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you making the lasagna? In a perfect world, weigh each ingredient and create a recipe in the recipe builder. Then make a serving size 100 grams. If you weigh your final servings and it's 250 grams, log that you had 2.5 servings.

With all that said, I'd probably just log a Stouffer's lasagna. :laugh: But I've been doing this a long time, and have a pretty good idea of the calorie count of things.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I didn’t know I could make the recipe I just thought you add each ingredient :)
    I make my own stuff from fresh! It’s all Italian/Mexican in this house
    I love pasta,lasagna,meatballs and enchiladas,fajitas and in particular I’ve gone mad on the nandos rubs so I rub that in the chicken yummiiieee
    I’ll do that now thank you :) xx
    Are you making the lasagna? In a perfect world, weigh each ingredient and create a recipe in the recipe builder. Then make a serving size 100 grams. If you weigh your final servings and it's 250 grams, log that you had 2.5 servings.

With all that said, I'd probably just log a Stouffer's lasagna. :laugh: But I've been doing this a long time, and have a pretty good idea of the calorie count of things.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    If I make a big dish like lasagne or a curry that I'm going to bag / box to freeze, I use the Recipe builder and select how many servings the final dish makes. You can adjust that afterwards if necessary. Then when you eat it, you select that entry from the Recipe list and choose 1 serving or whatever.

I live alone so, although I try to get each portion to be the exact same size, eventually I'll eat the whole lot anyway so if one day is 50 grams over and one day is 50 grams under, it won't make any difference in the long run. If you're cooking for more than 1 person, you could weigh the lasagne dish beforehand and weigh it afterwards so that you know how much the whole lasagne weighs. Then you can enter your number of servings as multiples of 100g as quiksylver suggests.

Your recipe will still be there the next time you make lasagne, so you can just Edit it to update the weights of individual ingredients if needed.

I don't know if you can scan entries when compiling a recipe though; I don't scan anything at all as I like to make sure I've selected the correct entry - something the recipe builder is particularly bad at.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    Hi strudders!! Thank you for your advice :)
    I just found that I can go to + recipe and scan all the items individually.Then I created it and it’s come up as 159 calories per serving I hope that is correct haha!
    I only have 1 slice anyway and have some salad with it Yummie!
    I didn’t even know you could do this so both thank you for your help :)
    I could scan it all in too which saved a lot of time yayyy!
    If I make a big dish like lasagne or a curry that I'm going to bag / box to freeze, I use the Recipe builder and select how many servings the final dish makes. You can adjust that afterwards if necessary. Then when you eat it, you select that entry from the Recipe list and choose 1 serving or whatever.

I live alone so, although I try to get each portion to be the exact same size, eventually I'll eat the whole lot anyway so if one day is 50 grams over and one day is 50 grams under, it won't make any difference in the long run. If you're cooking for more than 1 person, you could weigh the lasagne dish beforehand and weigh it afterwards so that you know how much the whole lasagne weighs. Then you can enter your number of servings as multiples of 100g as quiksylver suggests.

Your recipe will still be there the next time you make lasagne, so you can just Edit it to update the weights of individual ingredients if needed.

I don't know if you can scan entries when compiling a recipe though; I don't scan anything at all as I like to make sure I've selected the correct entry - something the recipe builder is particularly bad at.

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    159 calories? That sounds like a very tiny piece of lasagna...I would think a normal three inch by four inch piece of lasagna would be several hundred calories. Just the noodles alone would be more than 159.

I agree with this. You may want to revisit your scans ... did you record the correct quantity/# of servings?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    Options
    Yes, 159 sounds low. I did have lasagna the other day and it came in at around 490 calories. I was surprised how low calorie it was. However, I used more veggies than meat. And.. well.. I was cooking while working and accidentally throw a pile of milk into the pan and forgot to actually make bechamel. It was quite edible after a night in the fridge, but that first evening it was just cooked veggies with a bit of meat, sheet pasta and milk :s
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the MFP recipe builder. My kitchen must haves: kitchen scale & a dry erase noteboard that is stuck by magnet to the side of the fridge. I have on the top of the board a list of my common pans, casserole dishes & their weight in grams.

When I am making something, I weigh out each ingredient as I add it: and note the item/weight in grams on the noteboard. I use that data for entering into the MFP recipe builder - or for editing an existing recipe.

When the dish is done - I weigh the final product. Such as a baked pasta in a 13 x 9 glass casserole dish perhaps came to a total of 5500 grams. My noteboard says the dish itself is 2595 grams so 5500-2595 = 2905 grams for the weight of the pasta.

Then in MFP, for the recipe I set the # of servings to 2905. Meaning each 'serving' is 1 gram. Then when I spoon some onto a plate for msyelf, I weigh it. If my portion is 290 grams, I log my meal as 290 servings.
  • Lildarlinz
    Options
    I forgot to add some stuff 🤣🤣🤣 so yes ur right but I am looking forward to this lasagna 😛😛😛
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,606 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I do it a little differently, since I don’t know how many grams it will ultimately be, and I don’t think you can adjust the number of servings once you’ve begun entering it. (Wishing they’d change that is my biggest MFP wishlist item.)

I enter the total ingredients and set the serving as “1”. Then when I log it, I choose the recipe, and enter it into my diary as (for example) .25 servings if I think it reasonably makes four servings, or .125 if I think it makes eight.

It may not be perfect to the gram or ounce, but is still pretty accurate.

Since you can’t copy received, If it’s something I make fairly often, I’ll pull up the recipe and adjust (for example) the weight of the meat or veggies for the next time I cook it. I make muffins every week or two, so I’ll just remove chocolate chips and add chopped apples and cinnamon the next time I make it.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the MFP recipe builder. My kitchen must haves: kitchen scale & a dry erase noteboard that is stuck by magnet to the side of the fridge. I have on the top of the board a list of my common pans, casserole dishes & their weight in grams.

When I am making something, I weigh out each ingredient as I add it: and note the item/weight in grams on the noteboard. I use that data for entering into the MFP recipe builder - or for editing an existing recipe.

When the dish is done - I weigh the final product. Such as a baked pasta in a 13 x 9 glass casserole dish perhaps came to a total of 5500 grams. My noteboard says the dish itself is 2595 grams so 5500-2595 = 2905 grams for the weight of the pasta.

Then in MFP, for the recipe I set the # of servings to 2905. Meaning each 'serving' is 1 gram. Then when I spoon some onto a plate for msyelf, I weigh it. If my portion is 290 grams, I log my meal as 290 servings.

This is my method as well.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I do it a little differently, since I don’t know how many grams it will ultimately be, and I don’t think you can adjust the number of servings once you’ve begun entering it. (Wishing they’d change that is my biggest MFP wishlist item.)

I enter the total ingredients and set the serving as “1”. Then when I log it, I choose the recipe, and enter it into my diary as (for example) .25 servings if I think it reasonably makes four servings, or .125 if I think it makes eight.

Since you can’t copy received, If it’s something I make fairly often, I’ll pull up the recipe and adjust (for example) the weight of the meat or veggies for the next time I cook it. I make muffins every week or two, so I’ll just remove chocolate chips and add chopped apples and cinnamon the next time I make it.

I don't know if you use the app or the website, but certainly on the website you've been able to Edit a recipe and change the number of servings for as long as I've been using MFP. More recently, ie within the last few months, they added the option of being able to copy a recipe which is such a help. I used my Beef Curry recipe as a basis for a Chicken Curry and just renamed it. The amount of bolognese I make varies every time, and therefore the number of portions that I'll bag up will change. I've always been able to go back in and change that number once I know how many portions I've actually created.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I build the recipe and set it to whatever amount of servings (usually 4 or 6) and divide the total weight of the finished product. I write that on the label so I know how much "a serving" is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

You can change the number of servings in recipes you create. I do it all the time. Just edit it and change the number of servings like you'd change anything else. Sometimes I've found you need to click somewhere else in the recipe outside the servings box after you've changed it to get the change to "take" -- I just click on "edit quantity" for one of the ingredients and then save that without changing the quantity of the ingredient.

You also can copy recipes that you've created (this may be a new things, as I've always wanted to be able to do it, and just noticed that as an option recently).