Returning to the gym, what do?

Chieflrg
Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
As some gyms are starting to reopen, many of you might question what volume, rep schemes, etc... is appropriate to reset training towards your goal(s).

State your goals and a brief training history of your current programming e.g., frequency, volume, rep/set schemes, etc.

Something along the lines...
Day 1- High bar squat 4×10 @RPE7
OHP 3×8 @RPE8
Hip thrust 4×12 @RPE9

Please also post the programming you are preparing to start. The weight isn't important but the reps, sets, and RPE or percentages if you aren't familiar with RPE would be important.

This would also be useful for a washout block for those of you continuing to train at home and want to desensitize your muscle to current training.

This would not be exclusive to any specific style of training and if you have a specific question I'll try my best to answer it.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2020
    Of course, I went in and did heavy squats (265 lbs), bench (165 lbs), and deads (355 lbs)...and couldn’t walk for two days. And I don’t regret it!!! 😉

Therapy!!!
    https://youtu.be/Jmr6VwXH-ak
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    What I would do specifically is completely irrelevant to you. My suggestion, start lighter and fewer than you might think necessary. 'Tis easier to catch up than recover.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm actually not entirely sure what I should be doing.
    I was lifting pretty heavy before the gym closed here. Not heavy for some people, but heavy for me. I'm 6 months pregnant, though, and by the time our gym reopens it will be two months off from the gym, so I almost don't know where to start.
    My midwife gave me the okay to lift, and to lift as heavy as I'm comfortable with without fear of passing out. But I'm not sure how that should apply after 2 months of wimpy home workouts. I plan to ask her at my next appointment, but I'm also thinking that I will start off at a moderate weight and aim for more reps, see how that feels, and work my way up from there.
  • Chieflrg
    pondee629 wrote: »
    What I would do specifically is completely irrelevant to you. My suggestion, start lighter and fewer than you might think necessary. 'Tis easier to catch up than recover.

I'm not asking for advice sir, I'm offering to help those in the situation of the title of post.
  • Chieflrg
    Of course, I went in and did heavy squats (265 lbs), bench (165 lbs), and deads (355 lbs)...and couldn’t walk for two days. And I don’t regret it!!! 😉

Therapy!!!
    https://youtu.be/Jmr6VwXH-ak

Well you did desensitize yourself in a very unconventional way much like your Sumo deads ;) .
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2020
    I'm actually not entirely sure what I should be doing.
    I was lifting pretty heavy before the gym closed here. Not heavy for some people, but heavy for me. I'm 6 months pregnant, though, and by the time our gym reopens it will be two months off from the gym, so I almost don't know where to start.
    My midwife gave me the okay to lift, and to lift as heavy as I'm comfortable with without fear of passing out. But I'm not sure how that should apply after 2 months of wimpy home workouts. I plan to ask her at my next appointment, but I'm also thinking that I will start off at a moderate weight and aim for more reps, see how that feels, and work my way up from there.

Sounds reasonable.

With that approach, I would "discover" the volume you feel comfortable with your first week back. Keep it in the RPE 7-7.5 range.

Then look at past data of volume that is normal for a week one or standard block of beginning.

Perhaps take a jump of volume in the middle if the "discover day" and previous data. You should be good way to reintroduce you in your situation.

Btw, "lift heavy" is a vague term. The weight you use compared to others is arbitrary. We all have a "heavy" :smile: .

GL with training and the new critter to come!

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    How do I lock it out next time, @chieflrg?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Va-vrGmTiA