Things to consider when buying a bike

Options
Five years ago I bought a bike at a yard sale for $2 and been riding it in the summer for fun/exercise
But my last ride it started making a clicking noise towards the end
I thought it was the brakes so I called my dad he came to look. Turns out the brakes need replaced and that's happening. He can do that. But my noise is a wheel bearing going bad. He says it will be ok this summer but then I might need a new bike.
I'm looking on Facebook we have a Walmart but I don't plan to spend alot.
What are some things I need to look for buying both new or used bikes? This one I really like I don't know how to describe it.
I think it's like a mountain bike the handles are straight? I don't like the curled handle bars. I don't think I like "cruiser bikes" I'm 5 foot 7 and female

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike store. They may be able to fix it or at least sell you a used one. Support your LBS. Bikes from Walmart and the like are really just junk.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I had to buy a wheel for the basic bike I used for commuting when some low-life oik stole my front wheel and it really wasn't at all expensive and it comes with fresh bearings of course. I got mine from just a small local bike shop. He even had a few used ones from dismantled bikes but the price differential wasn't huge between new and decent quality or unknown brand and possibly well worn.

This is a UK cycle chain but from this link you will find buying guides to all the many different styles of bikes.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/
    Your intended use really determines what sytle of bike you go for and your budget sets the level.
    A picture would help identify what genre of bikes yours is - there are straight handlebars on many different kinds of bikes from pure off road to pure on road and everything in between.

Wouldn't recommend getting a bike from Walmart style outlets - although cheap they can be simply awful and a far worse option than buying a pre-used better quality bike from a recognised manufacturer.
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike store. They may be able to fix it or at least sell you a used one. Support your LBS. Bikes from Walmart and the like are really just junk.

We don't have a bike store 😭
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I had to buy a wheel for the basic bike I used for commuting when some low-life oik stole my front wheel and it really wasn't at all expensive and it comes with fresh bearings of course. I got mine from just a small local bike shop. He even had a few used ones from dismantled bikes but the price differential wasn't huge between new and decent quality or unknown brand and possibly well worn.

This is a UK cycle chain but from this link you will find buying guides to all the many different styles of bikes.
    https://www.evanscycles.com/
    Your intended use really determines what sytle of bike you go for and your budget sets the level.
    A picture would help identify what genre of bikes yours is - there are straight handlebars on many different kinds of bikes from pure off road to pure on road and everything in between.

Wouldn't recommend getting a bike from Walmart style outlets - although cheap they can be simply awful and a far worse option than buying a pre-used better quality bike from a recognised manufacturer.

Walmart is bad? That's where my parents got my bikes growing up
    I should look at it maybe it has a model number or name?
    Might just get a new tire...I was thinking of spending no more than 200 on it
    I'd like it to be able to ride on a road or on gravel stone too that's why I'm thinking mountain bike. We took it over turkey ridge for a fun ride my husband and I and that's when the trouble started. I'm thinking maybe my bike isn't the kind you ride like that on
    Oops
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Walmart (and similar outlets) can only sell bikes dirt cheap if they are buying them dirt cheap or there's no profit margin. And the primary reason they are dirt cheap is because they are built down to a price using very poor materials and componetry.

Maybe they sell some better built, better made bikes too (at higher prices) but then their only price advantage is that they may buy in bulk and maybe pass that on. The other disadvantage is the sales staff. Bike shops tend to be staffed by knowledagble enthusiasts, big stores - not so much.....
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Different tires would probably get you on to gravel road just fine.

If only less than $200, you'd just be getting another cheaply made bike likely to have issues quickly.

If the bearings were correct tightness just taking current bike on gravel road isn't going to cause a problem except in handling and your rear feeling it.

Walmart has no people skilled at putting bikes together - and although the makers try to package them in such a way as to avoid much skill needed - they themselves are also selling cheap bikes with not the best quality.
    I've tweaked one of those bikes for someone and the headset and wheel bearings were wayyyyy tooooo tight, and would have caused a short life span.

You may have a cross or hybrid bike with smooth tires for trail/road riding.
    It may have already come from like a Walmart, and hence the bearings going bad.
    The fact it seems to fit nicely for you may make it worth keeping.
    And yes it has probably 2 names on it - maker and model. And that would help.

Just getting a new wheel where you reuse the current tube/tire would work and keep you inexpensive. Current rim should give a name and size on them (ERD559-54 for example), then it's a matter of ordering new wheel.

Or, if your dad has ever packed wheel bearings on a car - he can do this if he wants to.
    But the means of getting new cup & cone may be interesting if it can't be figured out who made the current set.
    But there are plenty of videos on how to replace them and not hard for someone mechanically inclined.

Or spend the summer looking for used bikes and finding one of those nicer ones that fits well and meets your needs.

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Not knowing where you're located makes this advice generic, rather than specific. Here in NJ USA, we have a couple of "bike charities" that accept used bikes and recondition them for resale; the orgs often also have a program where young people recondition their own bikes to learn the skills in a "sweat equity" deal to get a new bike. The one near me, to which I donated my kids' old bikes is called "Second Life Bikes," in Asbury Park, NJ. This is no longer a unique idea, I think similar orgs are sprouting all around the country.

I recently sold two of our old bikes online as we prep for downsizing from our current home in retirement. I was overwhelmed by the demand/response. Now that I have been through the process, I am much more aware that in this current bike shortage, there's a significant percentage of junk being sold for top dollar. I took our basically solid, classic bikes, spiffed them up, performed my usual home maintenance on them (mech checks, drivechain lube) for the new owners. You'd need to keep in mind the old adage, "caveat emptor" ("buyer beware"). This "junk" warning also applies to what I see being offered as replacement parts through irregular channels. It's the Wild West out there now - those that are honest/qualified/etc., are, those that are not, not.

The pic is my 1983 Fuji Touring Series IV that I recently sold, ready for her new owner. I show it as an example of an old bike as a good deal. They don't need to be falling-apart old rustbuckets. Good luck in your quest. The advice you get about local bike shops is the best. Most shops are decent, some are great. As you say there aren't any in your area, there may be someone you can work with at a distance. But keep in mind, most good shops are overwhelmed right now, too.

i3wdxt75rm4u.jpg
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Get a decent bike lock and bike insurance if you buy new and get a decent bike. It might be different near you, but where I am bikes and bike parts are being stolen constantly.

If it's just a wheel bearing it would be cheaper to repair that than to buy a whole new bike.

If you do decide to buy new, consider where you will be using it - different bikes are made for different types of terrain. If you will mostly be cycling on roads, a road bike will be your best option as there is less drag from narrower tyres (these are usually those ones with curly handles). If cycling on trails, you will want the bigger tyres of a mountain bike or hardtail for more grip.

Whether buying new or second-hand, get yourself a basic repair kit and have the bike serviced regularly to ensure it's still in good working order.

If you're really unsure where to start, go to a bike shop and ask for some advice - they will be able to tell you what kind of bike will work best for what you want to do with it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So advice is useful - some facts the OP mentioned.

NO local bike shop. Walmart available, likely where brakes bought since they have them.
    Wanting to spend less than $200.
    Doesn't want road or cruiser/beach bike.
    Really likes current bike with wheel bearing problem.
    Current is likely a comfort/hybrid/crossover with non-aggressive tire because concerned about usage on gravel road.
    Recreational riding so far for fun/exercise, basic usage.
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A simple answer to your question as what to look for in a bike, one is comfort. Test ride some bikes, talk to your local bike shop, and see which ones feel right. This is the bike you will be riding all the time, so be sure to get one that feels right and is comfortable.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,938 Member
    Options
    What are some things I need to look for buying both new or used bikes? This one I really like I don't know how to describe it.
    I think it's like a mountain bike the handles are straight? I don't like the curled handle bars. I don't think I like "cruiser bikes" I'm 5 foot 7 and female

First, determine what you want to do with the bicycle.

Do you want to ride gravel roads? Trails? Paved roads?
    Do you want to commute?
    Do you want to travel and tour?
    Do you want to participate in events?

Next, what options do you have available? Are there bicycle shops in your area? Are there sporting goods shops which sell bicycles? Is there a cycling club in your area? Are there places where you can rent bicycles?

Renting bicycles is an option to allow you to try different bicycles and see what you might like.
    Or see if you can borrow a bicycle or two from friends for a ride or two.

It's good to try a few options before buying so that you can make a list of things you like or dislike.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You can get a new wheel. You can even order one online if you can figure out what size.