Measly Weight Loss - Should I Reset?

Options
So over the past year I have lost about 7 measly pounds. Yep thats like 3/4 of a pound a month. My starting weight was also higher than normal - my max. Obviously I didn't give it my all.

It's time to get serious and get this weight off. Would you just wipe out those 7 pounds and start fresh with today's weight? Or count those pounds lost over the one year period?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    1FitBabe wrote: »
    So over the past year I have lost about 7 measly pounds. Yep thats like 3/4 of a pound a month. My starting weight was also higher than normal - my max. Obviously I didn't give it my all.

It's time to get serious and get this weight off. Would you just wipe out those 7 pounds and start fresh with today's weight? Or count those pounds lost over the one year period?

Wipe them from where? Or count them where?

I don't understand your question.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Do you mean reset your MFP goals/starting point?

Here's the thing: it's kinda irrelevant. It is what it is. You lost 7 lbs. Great! That's moving forward, albeit maybe not at the pace you'd like. You probably learned some things about yourself and your habits and your intake/output during that time. Great news as well! You feel motivated to crack down. Good news there too. Just move forward. Maybe that year worth of data can help motivate you as well by being a reminder of what happens when you are less focused. That's ok too. I would say don't get too hung up on things from the past. Learn and move on. A year from now you will see where the line in your progress changes dramatically and remember that that's when you committed to things more.
    You got this!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. There's no objective reason to either exclude them or count them.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    How much do you want to lose? If it's 50 or more, 7 doesn't seem like much (although is't positive), but if you have say 20 to lose, 7 is a lot because the last lbs go slow.
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I know there's no right or wrong...just curious what you all would do?
    On the one hand I like the idea of a fresh start and really going at it. On the other I dislike the idea of 0 pounds lost next to my name ;) especially after logging in daily for 290 days!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1FitBabe wrote: »
    I know there's no right or wrong...just curious what you all would do?
    On the one hand I like the idea of a fresh start and really going at it. On the other I dislike the idea of 0 pounds lost next to my name ;) especially after logging in daily for 290 days!
    I’ve lost 4 pounds since the end of March and I’m happy with that.

How much do u want to lose ?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I keep my high of several years ago because it was my "normal," not-paying-attention weight. I want to have credit for all the pounds lost no matter how long it takes!
  • OmarVinden
    OmarVinden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Only an opinion here but if I had to give a straight answer I would say don't restart your count. Your progress did happen and should be celebrated.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Every 10lbs or so I update my “start” weight in my goals settings to adjust daily intake. Usually it reduces my daily limit by about 20 calories and (when I’m consistently logging) I find rate of loss is more consistent. In my diary however I keep my daily weigh ins from the start so I can see how far I’ve come and monitor my loss/gain trends.