Fitbit not connecting

Options
Sometimes MFP won’t update my steps with my Fitbit. FitBit syncs with my other apps though so it’s obviously a MFP problem. I’ve disconnected and reconnected. I’ve logged out and back in. This is the second time this has happened. How do I stop this?!

Replies

• christinafurtaw
    christinafurtaw Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's STILL not syncing for me today.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    There are two things that happen:

1) Sometimes there are documented outages that MFP is aware of. When this happens, MFP specifically requests that people not attempt to connect and reconnect, as this just increases the load on the system and delays recovery for everyone. You can see these outages on the support page.

2) Sometimes there are just delays that aren't connected to documented outages. I've had my Fitbit synced since 2015 and I would say these happen a few times a month -- there's nothing really wrong except a delay. I don't mess with my connection, I just wait for it to resolve and it has always updated within several hours.

You can't stop the documented outages because they're typically caused by something MFP has done that has broken the connection between Fitbit and MFP. They're pretty good about spotting these, but they sometimes take a few days to resolve.

You likely can't stop the delays because it's probably not caused by anything you're doing.

Some people do report that connecting and reconnecting is a way to resolve certain issues. I will say in my experience, I've never once disconnected my Fitbit and reconnected it (other than when I've swapped out for a new Fitbit) so it hasn't been the cure for any of the delays I've seen.
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    So it has been going on since June 5 and it hasn't been resolved yet? WOW
  • PedanticPete
    PedanticPete Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info/link janejellyroll
    Also: you can see that there is an issue that is currently active. MFP is specifically recommending that people not try to disconnect and reconnect.

https://support.myfitnesspal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044563091-Extended-Sync-Server-and-Fitbit-Issues-Starting-6-5

my gut reaction is a panic response (I went on that 10-mile walk at the crack of dawn to get some calories!!!) so I am one of the 'guilty ones who disconnect and reconnect' because 9 out of 10 times it works ... In fact, apart from making a copy of a recipe, it is the only time I use the web site ... so it always takes me a while to remember how to do it ... it would help IMHO ... if, anticipating people like me adding to the "number of backlogged sync requests lengthening recovery time" ... they put a note on the App page next to the disconnect button saying that they are aware of an issue, with a link to the "ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM OUR TECH TEAM" section of the help ...

Luckily I've only been introduced to the problem since yesterday (Exercise calories: -8 "Yikes" disconnect/reconnect Exercise calories: 1430) so as you can imagine it's quite important to my monitoring/eating regime to have these added ...
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    MFP is giving so many error messages lately I assume the problem is on their end.

In general I don't worry about it. I can use the Fitbit app to make sure I'm moving enough to hit my total desired calorie burn goal for the day. Which 'affords' me the food I log in MFP.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ann262 wrote: »
    So it has been going on since June 5 and it hasn't been resolved yet? WOW

Yes, but important context is that it isn't been impacting everyone since the 5th. For example, my sync pretty much working fine until yesterday (it's down now). I don't think they know exactly what is wrong, so it might be a while before it is consistently working for everyone.

The good news is that all the Fitbit information is still available to us. You can see how many calories you're burning and use that to estimate how many you'd like to eat back. Not as convenient as the sync, but there's no reason this has to stop anyone progress.
  • cxeex
    cxeex Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I’m having the same problem. So frustrating
  • christinafurtaw
    christinafurtaw Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Any updates to this?? Mine hasn't synched since 6/24!
  • marykelly04
    marykelly04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    No sync since June 23!
  • marykelly04
    marykelly04 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Still no sync of any data from Fitbit since June 23. I've even emailed support, and have never received a response.
  • thudweber
    thudweber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Synch Solver used to fix that, but that isn't working anymore. Because I'm following a keto lifestyle, and the calorie adjustment helps me with that. Without the calorie adjustment, MFP is just working as a food logger, of which there are other apps.