ideas on how to stay active

2»

Replies

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Haven't read all responses, so apologies if I am duplicating. More walking, maybe on your lunch for at least 30 minutes or early morning or in the evening. While working from home, maybe get a stationary bike or treadmill to use for a few minutes to take a break.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    When working from home this spring, I would get up early to workout before logging on the computer. YouTube has so many great channels. I do Sydney Cummings workouts mostly for strength, fit outside the box and Jenny Ford/Freedom Fit for step, and Quest Club and Yvette Bachman for something a little different. Look around and try a few to see what you like
  • avtlove
    avtlove Posts: 82 Member
    When working from home this spring, I would get up early to workout before logging on the computer. YouTube has so many great channels. I do Sydney Cummings workouts mostly for strength, fit outside the box and Jenny Ford/Freedom Fit for step, and Quest Club and Yvette Bachman for something a little different. Look around and try a few to see what you like

I haven't heard of any of these. I'm excited to check them out! Thanks for the recommendation.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I have desk cycle. It works really well and is just as hard as a recumbent exercise bike! 9w3n92lgi7d2.png
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    avtlove wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    harper16 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to ask for a standing desk?

I'm solely working from home right now. I really don't want to spend the money on a standing desk, although it might come to that.

I had an adjustable desk at work. When my job was eliminated and I "retired" I got an adjustable desk for home. When I went back to work as an agency employee the company was providing these vrmdd938z451.png

Now we are working from home, I use the adjustable desk I purchased, but the company is letting people come in and take their desk converter (as pictured) home with them for WFH.

It really seems to make a difference if I stand. I took another posters advice and used a box, which actually works quite well. Today I stood for most of my sessions and my clients don't even know that I am doing leg lifts and small kicks while I am working with them, lol.

If you're standing get an Airex Pad

https://www.amazon.com/Airex-30-1915-Balance-Elite-Blue/dp/B01B8GQVRA/ref=sr_1_5?crid=23YF2B80HBD18&dchild=1&keywords=airex+pad+balance&qid=1593351376&sprefix=airex+pad,aps,281&sr=8-5

Knockoffs that are actually pretty good can be had for $15-20 on Amazon. Gives a nice cushioned surface while standing and the thick cushion allows you to do nice balance work.
  • avtlove
    harper16 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to ask for a standing desk?

I'm solely working from home right now. I really don't want to spend the money on a standing desk, although it might come to that.

I had an adjustable desk at work. When my job was eliminated and I "retired" I got an adjustable desk for home. When I went back to work as an agency employee the company was providing these vrmdd938z451.png

Now we are working from home, I use the adjustable desk I purchased, but the company is letting people come in and take their desk converter (as pictured) home with them for WFH.

It really seems to make a difference if I stand. I took another posters advice and used a box, which actually works quite well. Today I stood for most of my sessions and my clients don't even know that I am doing leg lifts and small kicks while I am working with them, lol.

If you're standing get an Airex Pad

https://www.amazon.com/Airex-30-1915-Balance-Elite-Blue/dp/B01B8GQVRA/ref=sr_1_5?crid=23YF2B80HBD18&dchild=1&keywords=airex+pad+balance&qid=1593351376&sprefix=airex+pad,aps,281&sr=8-5

Knockoffs that are actually pretty good can be had for $15-20 on Amazon. Gives a nice cushioned surface while standing and the thick cushion allows you to do nice balance work.

I've never heard of these. Thank you for telling me. This might be a great option to keep those muscles engaged more, even while I work. Thanks!
  • avtlove
    I have desk cycle. It works really well and is just as hard as a recumbent exercise bike! 9w3n92lgi7d2.png

I'm not sure my desk is tall enough that my knees wouldn't hit it... But I LOVE this idea, if I can make it work.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Drink more water. I've found that drinking more of it ensures I leave my desk and walk about much more often. :)
  • avtlove
    Drink more water. I've found that drinking more of it ensures I leave my desk and walk about much more often. :)

Yes! I'm finding this out, too!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member

I'm not sure my desk is tall enough that my knees wouldn't hit it... But I LOVE this idea, if I can make it work.

it could also be used with a kitchen / dining room chair while watching tv or reading (desk not required) ..... if you didn't have the room for a true recumbent bike .... what's the price on something like this?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2020
    I'm on my recumbent bike for 1 hour every morning then one or two 25 minute walks per day at work, typically eat at my desk. Planks and other core exercises plus pushups mostly daily to try and keep at least some muscle tone there while I lose.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited July 2020
    BMcC9 wrote: »

it could also be used with a kitchen / dining room chair while watching tv or reading (desk not required) ..... if you didn't have the room for a true recumbent bike .... what's the price on something like this?

I use it while watching tv or while browsing the internet instead of just sitting on the couch when I get home from work. I bought the desk cubi for 160 on amazon and highly recommend it. One of the pedals started squeaking after 6 months so I contacted the seller and they send me another one for free LOL!