Is wheat bad or not?

Options
EDITED TO ADD: Please read the link before responding. This isn't about whether wheat in general is good or bad, for some people or others, etc....this is about wheat supposedly being a different thing nowadays than it was years ago. http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/08/30/book-review-wheat-belly/

I am looking for thoughts from those who *really* know....no offense to anyone, but I am not interested in mere opinions from people relying on stuff they've been told of things they've heard.

Nutritionists, people with real first-hand stories to tell, scientists, doctors, certified trainers, etc.....what do you think of this?

And supposing the author of the book just wants to scare people out of eating wheat products, why would he do that? What could he or anyone else (person or entity) possibly have to gain from that, financially or otherwise aside from simple book sales?

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/2011/08/30/book-review-wheat-belly/

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to wheat. They should avoid it. For everyone else, it's ok.
    Some people are allergic to nuts. They should avoid it. For everyone else, it's ok.
    Some people are allergic to dogs. They should avoid them. For everyone else, they're ok.
    . . .
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

I am looking for thoughts from those who *really* know....no offense to anyone, but I am not interested in mere opinions from people relying on stuff they've been told of things they've heard.

Nutritionists, people with real first-hand stories to tell, scientists, doctors, certified trainers, etc.....what do you think of this?

And supposing the author of the book just wants to scare people out of eating wheat products, why would he do that? What could he or anyone else (person or entity) possibly have to gain from that, financially or otherwise aside from simple book sales?

There's 16 pages of bibliography in that book so you could flip through that to get a handle on the supporting evidence.

Don't know what anyone has to gain by suggesting people go without grains ... at least to see if makes a difference for you. Everyone is different.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    As a Celiac I have to agree completely, but that's me with my wheat allergy and all the weight it caused me to gain. I do know that non-celiacs/gluten intolerants feel better after going wheat free.
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    taso42, did you look at the link? This isn't just about a simple wheat allergy. This is about the genetic structure of wheat supposedly changing/being modified over the years, thus making the wheat we are eating now wholly different than the wheat our grandparents ate.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Some people are allergic to wheat. They should avoid it. For everyone else, it's ok.
    Some people are allergic to nuts. They should avoid it. For everyone else, it's ok.
    Some people are allergic to dogs. They should avoid them. For everyone else, they're ok.
    . . .

This. Research has shown over and over again that any single food category has its place, including breads and other grain products. The key is moderation, balance, and continuing to stay active.

As far as wheat being genetically modified... thats a good thing. We genetically modify foods to have traits that are needed to help grow more food to feed more people, resist bugs and disease, and grow faster and easier in harsher climates.

Without genetically modified grains, there would be a lot more starving people in the world than there is now.
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Wheat is not bad. There are lots of different kinds of wheat and many different kinds of grain. Wheat is overused and GMO. It's really hard to get wheat that isn't GMO, at least on some level, because it cross breeds so easily. There is one type, Emmer, that does not cross breed so it's still better. What the genetic modification has done is increase the gluten in wheat which many people are sensitive to.

Wheat is overused and tampered with. If you have no problem with gluten you're probably fine with wheat. If you eat too much of it too often you may develop an allergy. Switch it up wheat, rye, barley, oats, millet. There's lots of great stuff out there.
  • kmelski
    Options
    We watched this movie, too, and did a lot of research on the topic. I finally trusted the American Diabetes Association. Since people with diabetes are probably more sensitive to blood sugar and the glycemic index than anyone else, and since the ADA is run by (presumably) really smart people who don't want to kill their members, I figure that what they say about carbs is worth trusting:

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/carbohydrates.html

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/grains-and-starchy-vegetables.html

In a nutshell, you need the fiber and nutrients that come from high-carb foods. But stick to the whole grain stuff so you get the most out of it.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    . . .

Taso, must I to tell you once again to get the hell outta here with your sound and logical bull****? It's not welcome here.
  • therobinator
    Options
    . . .

Taso, must I to tell you once again to get the hell outta here with your sound and logical bull****? It's not welcome here.
    I do NOT want this thread to turn into a flame war. Please let it go. Both of you. Everyone. Let's stick to the science of the topic at hand. Thank you.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    For celiacs it absolutely is ..wheat or any grian containing gluten distroys the small intestines of celiacs.. we cannot digest it it all and it prevents us from absorbing nutrients from our food. one in 100 people have this disease but only about 5% are ever diagnosed.. what is even more scary is the fact that 1 in 4 people have some type of wheat allergy or sensitivity and don't know it.. that is a huge number. pretty much tells me that wheat is NOT good and only a few people can eat it and have no reaction. just my opinion.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    For celiacs it absolutely is ..wheat or any grian containing gluten distroys the small intestines of celiacs.. we cannot digest it it all and it prevents us from absorbing nutrients from our food. one in 100 people have this disease but only about 5% are ever diagnosed.. what is even more scary is the fact that 1 in 4 people have some type of wheat allergy or sensitivity and don't know it.. that is a huge number. pretty much tells me that wheat is NOT good and only a few people can eat it and have no reaction. just my opinion.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Wheat is bad. It borrowed my car, adjusted the seat all funny, left cigarette burns in the headliner and brought it back without putting any gas in it.
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    momof8munchkin - I agree with you 100% when I was growing up they (the health nuts) all said whole wheat everything was best so my mother being the wonderful caregiver she was made everything out of whole wheat ..as a result my father and I and maybe my sister are allergic .. but I am also allergic to eggs and shrimp and cows milk too..all "healthy" foods..

Robin- too much of a good thing can be bad- buy the best organic and mix up your grains don't stick with a fad, be flexible and genetic modification is just scary sometimes :-)
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    . . .

I do NOT want this thread to turn into a flame war. Please let it go. Both of you. Everyone. Let's stick to the science of the topic at hand. Thank you.

Not saying wheat is good or bad, but if you want to stick to the 'SCIENCE' of whether or not wheat is bad, your first step might be to rely on some sources other than the Fathead website.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Oh I know.. after the birth of my last child I did the CW approach to loosing weight.. high high fiber and lots of whole grains.. only I was getting sicker and sicker, but had no idea what was going on.. fast forward a year later when I discover I have celiac disease.. major aha moment for me. since it is hereditary we have taken the family nearly gluten free and low grains as well..
    momof8munchkin - I agree with you 100% when I was growing up they (the health nuts) all said whole wheat everything was best so my mother being the wonderful caregiver she was made everything out of whole wheat ..as a result my father and I and maybe my sister are allergic .. but I am also allergic to eggs and shrimp and cows milk too..all "healthy" foods..

Robin- too much of a good thing can be bad- buy the best organic and mix up your grains don't stick with a fad, be flexible and genetic modification is just scary sometimes :-)
  • therobinator
    Options
    . . .

Not saying wheat is good or bad, but if you want to stick to the 'SCIENCE' of whether or not wheat is bad, your first step might be to rely on some sources other than the Fathead website.
    Hance why I am posting here and asking for only the opinions of people who actually know something.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    . . .

bwahahaha It's called having a laugh my dear. Taso and I are buddies....you may chill out now.
  • therobinator
    Options
    . . .

bwahahaha It's called having a laugh my dear. Taso and I are buddies....you may chill out now.
    And there is no way for me to have known that, is there? I don't know why I bother posting things in the forums, asking for serious replies only. People clearly can't adhere to that. Ugh.

Taso and I are also friends here on MFP, and I get and laugh at his sarcasm all the time. I just wish that when people post in the forums asking for serious responders only (hoping to avoid exactly what's happening here), that others would honor those requests. I get that there are stupid people all over the place asking stupid questions. Whether you like to believe it or not, I am not one of those people.
  • therobinator
    Options
    As far as wheat being genetically modified... thats a good thing. We genetically modify foods to have traits that are needed to help grow more food to feed more people, resist bugs and disease, and grow faster and easier in harsher climates.

Without genetically modified grains, there would be a lot more starving people in the world than there is now.
    Sure, it's a good thing insofar as we can grow more and sustain more people....but at what cost? That's the point. Maybe we don't know what effect these modified foods have on the human body. That's what the article and the book delves into, and what I was wondering if anyone here has thoughts on other than "my friend told me...." regarding the idea that (other than for people who clearly have a disease liek celiac's) wheat might be causding weight and other health problems.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

How about T. Colin Campbell's own data? I was reading around through Denise Minger's archives and thought this monolith was particularly interesting. Correlation, not causation, etc. But interesting, no?