New here - feeling down about myself

Options
Hello. My name is Jen. I have a wonderful baby boy - he turns 6 months old tomorrow! He's the light of my life and I want to be healthy and active for him (and any future kids we have). I've always teetered between being "ok" and being "overweight." I know i can do it. I lost all but 5 lbs of my baby weight within a month of my son's birth. My prepregnancy weight was ok for me - about 10 lbs from my happy place. Well, since then, I've gained an additional 10 lbs. It seems no matter what I do (eat less, eat more) I gain. I'm starting to get depressed about my body shape and size. I want to feel good and have my clothes fit again! Not to mention, we want to TTC #2 by the end of the year. I can't do that if I am unhealthy. So, here I am. Ready to try again. I look forward to chatting with you all!

Replies

• chelle083
    Options
    Hello. I too have gone through depression over my weight. It seemed no matter what I tried, I failed. So finally I gave up and gained everything I had lost back plus some. Yesterday I decided enough was enough and joined this site. I am already feeling more encouraged and enthused. Hang in there and give it your all. I know you will do great! Feel free to add me as a friend. :smile:
  • tilulah1304
    tilulah1304 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    stay posititive!! friend requet on the way to you! :heart:
  • Eloveg
    Options
    Hi Jen,

Don't get discouraged! Keep your head up and be consistent. When you fall....just get back up and continue on & don't beat up on yourself! Let the baby help you! Take him for a walk around the block or roll around on the floor with him.

Good Luck!
    Ericka
  • lublin1987
    Options
    Welcome! I know exactly how you feel I've been there too. Feel free to add me. Good luck on your journey.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i have also been depressed about my weight for a long time and i tried to lose weight on my own by increasing excercises and no matter how much i did the scale wouldnt move, then my friends doc told her about this site and i started it and didnt really get into it until mid june i started using it religously and i have lost 25lbs. i also have a 9 yr old and a 20 month old. i like to use my baby as my weight sometimes for my arms shes 22 lbs / :) add me if you like and good luck keep your heard up it will get better, oh and btw i havent been depressed since i started losing
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I can tell you I've been nothing but happy about using this app/website. It's really a great coach in every aspect of losing weight. Spend some time on these message boards and feel free to make comments/ ask questions! I think I spend most of my time on the success stories because it's great motivation to continue what I have been doing (eating better and continue exercising). Trust me, you're not alone in being unhappy about your weight. I've been "chubby" most, if not all, of my life. I decided last month to join MFP to see if paying attention to diet for the first time would actually help in the weight loss dept and it turns out it does! Now I'm looking forward to seeing those numbers on the scale go down and making my clothes looser over the next several months. My ultimate goal is wear a two piece swimsuit for the first time in my life this next summer (2012).
  • sexyminxinthemaking
    Options
    i no what you mean friend request on its way to you now goodluck for your journey
  • davehebden
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am new to this, i would love to here from anyone with tips to making this regime a HABIT and not a FAD.
    Thanks

Dave
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I lost my baby weight minus 15 lbs after 4 weeks, due to better eating habits when I was pregnant. I stayed that way until I slowed down on the breast feeding at 5 months. (started working full time and couldn't keep up). I gained 15 lbs in a month and a half. And it just kept piling on. My daughter is now 2 and a half and I am just starting to do something about it. Congrats to you for taking initiative earlier than me!! My lowest point,mentally, was a couple of months ago when I weighed as much as when I went in to have my daughter at 40 weeks4 days preggers. (238lb). My point is that everyone feels down about themselves at some point but we are here to help each other through this process. Feel free to add me so that we can motivate each other. :)
  • Jenyfleur08
    Jenyfleur08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think holding myself accountable will definitely help. I appreciate all your kind words. We can do this! :-)
  • martina123321
    Options
    Hi there

welcome!!

Don't get down about it, its not worth it. You have a beautiful baby to think about.

My son is 19 months old and I have been struggling with my weight since forever but more so since I have had him. But since joining M.F.P. I have so much more determination, feel so much more encouraged and I know I am heading in the right direction.

Its not going to happen over night - but it will happen.

Good luck, feel free to add me.:)
  • saraht109
    Options
    stick with it hon we are all here to support each other and I have found this site amazing... feel free to add me if you want to btw the more friends the merrier is what I say :happy:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think most people on this site have been unhappy for some reason or another, in relation to their weight. Feel free to add me as well. My son is 8 months now, and I started on this site about a month ago. I've already lost 9 lbs, so something's working. Any time I feel like eating something I look here first, or immediately after to make sure it's logged in--everything. This really helps to keep calorie levels high enough to keep your body from going into starvation mode, but low enough to get you down to your ideal weight. Many people here have lost over 100 lbs, so you can do this!!! Be easy on yourself if you eat the wrong things. We all do occasionally. Exercise is key.