activity with sore ankle

Options
Hey Community.

I find myself in a bit of a pickle. Yesterday I hit a personal steps record (over 40,000). Everything feels great except for an inch-wide crescent around the back and bottom of my right ankle bone. I’m sure it was from interval jogging in my non-work shoes. When sitting I can keep the foot comfortably flat or in a tiptoe on the floor, and once I’ve been moving for a couple minutes the pain reduces to heaviness and I can mostly walk normally. Been icing and massaging the area off and on, but it goes back to being quite painful after rest, making it difficult to go about daily things like meal prep or bathroom visits. It’s also driving me a bit batty sitting around so much (I’m the fool that goes for hour+ walks in rain and blizzards).

TL;DR: My ankle’s sore but functional, I’m bored and frustrated, and wondering if doing several small walks throughout the day will be safe/helpful with ice/rest spells between.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No. It is just one day. Rest. Do not go for a walk until you are pain free. If you cannot do daily things around the house, listen to your body
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'd let the ankle rest today - I sometimes work out when sore but I can usually tell when it's a normal kind of sore or "oh this joint/area doesn't feel right" so I base my decision on that... what about doing some upper body workouts if you really feel too restless? I did one last night, with a pair of dumbbells, that barely used my legs at all, it still felt like a decent workout (though I know it's not the same as going for a walk)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    You walked 20 miles yesterday. You can afford to sit this one out. Sounds like you've irritated something, don't keep at it until it heals.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Learning the difference between being hurt and being injured is very important. If you are injured then you need to stop and rest it. Pushing through an injury can lead to something even worse that will knock you out for weeks or longer, when you could've just taken a day or two off in the beginning.