Struggling ~ Is it my age?????? WTH

Options
Hi MFP!!!! I have just hit that magic age of 50:noway: I feel like I am 30 :bigsmile: I have been focused for the last 6 weeks, logging in and exercising. (OK 1 week vacation mixed in) I am taking gym classes (weights, step, zumba) Also just started a running 101 group and have added spin to the list. I took a 7 mile hike Sunday, I also walk. I make sure to be moving 5-6 times per week:bigsmile: I also bought a heart monitor over the weekend so I really know what I am burning.

My head is in the right place and I am excited to lose 25-30# and keep it off this time!!!! The bad news is I had lost 6 pounds as of 2 weeks ago and now have been gaining:grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: So now with all my hard work in 6 weeks I have lost about 2 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH....................I really mean WTF :indifferent:

Are you going to tell me it's muscle???? I hate hearing that. I want to speed this up. Any ideas are welcome :happy:

I am NOT giving up :smile: Thanks for your help

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    First question, are you eating enough? With all of that exercise, you want to make sure you're not putting yourself into negative net calories each day.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Are you doing heavier workouts? When I do a workout that is more intense than usual I weigh in 4 lbs heavier. This is due to muscles storing water for muscle repair. I drink extra water and in a few days the 4 lbs are gone.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    You need to strike the right balance between diet & exercise...which sometimes takes a lot of tweaking and trying different things. Need to make sure your eating and not putting your body in starvation mode & maybe you need to work out less. Have 3-4 higher impact days and a couple where your workouts are lighter. I"m not 50 yet but that has been working for me so far.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    First question, are you eating enough? With all of that exercise, you want to make sure you're not putting yourself into negative net calories each day.

My thoughts exactly! By the way welcome to 50!

Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • QueenHanifa
    QueenHanifa Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel,for me it's the same working out hard and not losing the weight in 4 months only ten pounds and my eating habits are on point .I guess it's harder the older we get...but hang in there
  • mollybeslimmer
    mollybeslimmer Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    sister mine!!
    same boat! am 53 and swear when I hit 50 and then mighty men o pause~!grr~
    everything seem to change-and not for the good.
    WTF is more like it.
    I had great loss then BAM..gain back ...
    I keep trying something new every other day-walk more-drink more water etc..
    had 3 bad days of BIG amounts of sodium (fast food-hubbys fault-lol)
    I have no answer but felt so strogly to post...
    you are not alone!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP!!!! I have just hit that magic age of 50:noway: I feel like I am 30 :bigsmile: I have been focused for the last 6 weeks, logging in and exercising. (OK 1 week vacation mixed in) I am taking gym classes (weights, step, zumba) Also just started a running 101 group and have added spin to the list. I took a 7 mile hike Sunday, I also walk. I make sure to be moving 5-6 times per week:bigsmile: I also bought a heart monitor over the weekend so I really know what I am burning.

My head is in the right place and I am excited to lose 25-30# and keep it off this time!!!! The bad news is I had lost 6 pounds as of 2 weeks ago and now have been gaining:grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: So now with all my hard work in 6 weeks I have lost about 2 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTH....................I really mean WTF :indifferent:

Are you going to tell me it's muscle???? I hate hearing that. I want to speed this up. Any ideas are welcome :happy:

I am NOT giving up :smile: Thanks for your help

It is a myth our age does not hinder our progress it is we move less. The Metabolism does not not change. I see you are exercising so that is not the problem. 1. Drink your water at least 64 oz a day. Watch your sodium 1500 - 1800 per milligram, Incorporate flax seed or fennel seed in your diet (google as to the benefits) Try zig zagging your calories, but don't go over the total amount of calories this site allows to you in a week. Never go under 1,200 calories no day. Preplanning is the key!!
    I wish you best !!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    We have a bit in common -- age and gym workouts to start --- and I feel like 30 too!

The last 10-20 pounds is the hardest for sure... I recently took a whole week of from the gym and still ate my goal calories 1400 and sometimes up to 1600 -- and I actually lost 2 pounds. Then I went back to the gym and my routine and stopped -- go figure!
    I've decided maybe my body is telling me this is where I need to be and just be glad I'm healthy! I'm still doing zumba 5x week (which I love) and some strength classes (which I hate) and tracking my food/exercise/fluid -- but I think the days of 2lbs a week is long gone --- especially so close to goal.

(PS I did have a long plateua trying to do 1200 calories and didn't start losing again until I upped it to 1400 -- weird but true)
  • Vicky0192
    Options
    I think age does play a big part in it. I am 40 and finding it very hard as well, hormone changes, water retention and the most minimum deviation in your diet and the pounds start to pile up again. Do not give up keep doing what your doing and the weight will come off.

Good Luck!! :)
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Fifty is a memory in my rear view mirror, and yes you can do this! I've taken off 28 pounds in 3 months so far with careful planning of what I eat and moderate exercise (I have rhuematoid and osteo arthritis). I was stalled at first until I went to see a nutrtionist and found I wasn't eating enough. It was very helpful, so maybe speak to someone at your gym? They could guide you as to what to eat when you work out.
  • wvunut
    wvunut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling myself too! I'm at a standstill, so I'm trying my best to eat more! Goodluck :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    sister mine!!
    same boat! am 53 and swear when I hit 50 and then mighty men o pause~!grr~
    everything seem to change-and not for the good.
    WTF is more like it.
    I had great loss then BAM..gain back ...
    I keep trying something new every other day-walk more-drink more water etc..
    had 3 bad days of BIG amounts of sodium (fast food-hubbys fault-lol)
    I have no answer but felt so strogly to post...
    you are not alone!

AMEN ME TOO!!!! 53 here! Been working out for years, maintaining a healthy weight. I hit 50 and peri-menopause (haven't had a period now in 2 months, hoping this is it!!).....and everything changed! It became much harder to maintain my weight no matter how hard I worked out! I just look doughie-er now! I've tried working harder, changing things up and I'm struggling! Menopause and whacky hormones are a Beotch!!! I know there is a right combination of diet and exercise out there for me and my big fat doughie menopause belly....I just need to find it!

LET'S ALL HANG IN THERE, WE CAN DO THIS! WE ARE SO FAR AHEAD OF THE GAME THEN WOMEN ARE AGE WHO DON'T EVEN DIET OR EXERCISE. LET'S KEEP MOVING AND STAY STRONG!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I so agree. Do you measure and account for everything you put in your mouth? From what I understand age does not effect weight loss. Yes, it becomes harder meaning you have to work at it harder it just doesn't fall off like it did when we were younger but it is still doable and possible. Is it stress?
    Look at everything. Look at what you did 6 weeks ago and compare to the mose recent weeks you gained and that will help you truly analyze the situation. I soooooooooooo UNDERSTAND and I agree never give up.
  • PositivePower
    PositivePower Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I love this site :love: Thank's everyone!!! Yes I am eating most of my calories including exercise. I was thinking of only eating half of my exercise calories to see if that moves something:ohwell: I am getting addicted to exercise and am almost afraid to scale back for fear I will stop doing it. That's probably won't happen since I am signing up for a 1/2 marathon in November and have already signed up for a Rock N Roll 1/2 in Feb 2012.

I will take a look at sodium and water, some days I am great with water others not so much. Stress...hum:huh: I can't really get away from that. But I have a pretty easy going personality so between that and the exercise I think I am handling it OK. (I do have teenagers and a husband, work full time and help take care of my Dad) Yes I miss my wine :drinker:

Anyway thanks again friends - I guess I need to get back to work:yawn: That job thing is getting in the way of my positive MFP :laugh:
  • LJA1968
    LJA1968 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Bump, I like what was written about the bmi and deficits.
  • rdeloria
    Options
    Hey Girl!

I am going to turn 48 on Friday and until I turned 45 I NEVER had any problem with weight! I have gained almost 20lbs in the last 3 years. Feel like I have tried everything (although I know I haven't) and am VERY discouraged! Used to be that I could cut out a few brownies and drop a couple of pounds...not anymore. I also don't have any answers for you, but wanted you to know that I feel your pain and am glad that there are other women out there fighting the same battle!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    A little harder at our age, what I found out...... well what working for me is, I cut sugar down and carbs, I still can have up 100 in carbs I'm eating more vegetables and more clean Strength and toning exercise and cardio. Also I eat a little more for 5 days and the 2 days I do no exercise I eat less, but no less than 1200 on those days. My BMI is 23.7