Eye Health / myopia (short sightedness) Risk of detached ret

Options
porffor
porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
Anyone else have extensive myopia (short sightedness)?
Or issues with their eye health?

I have always been extremely short sighted (and always will be of course).. but the last 2 eye exams have come with a firm warning to go back if I see 'above average for me' floaters or loss of vision etc. I questioned this a bit more today and it turns out I'm at high risk of retinal detachment. :noway:
To be honest I'm in a bit of shock I think, I knew I had poor sight but never dreamt I was at risk of LOSING my sight. Seems from researching (good old internet) that I have a chance of repair if I get help fast (so I'll be sure to get that if anything happens).

There are further risk factors other than my -9.25 vision which is still deteriorating, astigmatism and blue eyes, these are impact i.e. through sport (yes falling off a horse would count as a high risk :cry:, car accidents and even things like rollercoasters.

I must admit I had a lot of floaters after a recent fall off my horse (I was practicing show jumping and he bucked after landing and I hit the ground on my back). I didn't think much of it but I am going to have to be careful and have a long think about continuing to jump. I don't want to give up riding :brokenheart: but jumping increases the risks of falling a LOT.

Sorry to vent on here.. :embarassed: I'm just a bit worried and to be honest near tears if I even consider not having my sight, I know this sounds pathetic when people go through a lot worse but we do take sight for granted when we have it. I have always laughed off my 'blind as a bat' vision but not anymore.

Anyone with similar concerns or situations would be really appreciated.

Replies

• lukeleia4
    lukeleia4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband had several retinal detachments in his 20s and 30s and if you see any flashes or a "curtain" coming down get STRAIGHT to the hospital. They can do amazing things if you get there quickly. He has learned to adapt very well with his eyesight changes. Deal with it as it comes. Don't stress about. It won't help one bit! Good luck to you!!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am at high risk due to extreme myopia as well. I knew about things like, no sky diving, and increased risk from things like roller coasters, but never thought about horse riding. It does make sense though.

I have had several relatives who have suffered from macular degeneration also. Fortunately not until they were in their 80s. But it's definitely a concern for me.

The best thing to do is just be aware of any changes in your vision and seek emergency care if you suspect anything has gone wrong. Quick treatment makes a huge difference in the outcome.

You are definitely not alone.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks for your posts, I'm coming round to the news, it just surprised me that I hadn't realised the high risks till now.

For sure I will be seeking medical attention if I suffer any of the symptoms and won't be ignoring vision issues after riding accidents either.

Thanks again.
  • jumperchick
    Options
    im sorry ao your eye issues, that is very scary !

i totally know where you are coming from because i have an eye condition called keratoconus, and i will probably need a corneal transplant in the next 10 years because my eyes are getting worse.
  • porffor
    Options
    Thanks, it's a strange feeling, but am tryin to think it's nothing to worry over, just be aware of.

How worrying for you about the transplant. My friends baby (same age as my youngest) has to have a liver transplant by the time he's 5 and it's an awful thought :(. I hope it goes as well as it can for you, and you get the longest time before it happens. ((hugs))