Not sure whats happening

tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
edited June 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! Been awhile since I've posted on here.

I can't figure out what's going wrong with my weight loss program. I weigh my food. I watch portions carefully when I am not near a scale. I have been eating around 1500 calories/day for a week now and I somehow weight more than i did 7 days ago. My TDEE is 2012 calories/day, so I'm consuming well under that.

I have been tracking what I eat for years, so I know what I'm doing there, just can't seem to get my body to lose any weight. I generally take action at about 170lbs and get down to 165lbs in 1-2 days...then I sit at 165/166 for 2-3 weeks, give up, back to up to 170lbs. Repeat.

Asking here now because I'm just totally stumped. The math says I should lose, but I'm not. Ugh. Any suggestions? Or should I just drop down to 1200/day and cry my hungry butt to sleep nightly. lol.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    well...you don't have to be at "about" 1500 nor at 1200.

But you do need to find a calorie goal that will work.

Are you getting any exercise? I find that when I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I really need to be on point with food calories, nutrition AND exercise.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited June 2020
    Weight loss does not necessarily happen in a week. It happens over weeks and months. You could weight more today than last week due to water weight from sodium, stress, change in sleep habits, change in the types of food you're eating, hormones/TOM. Track your calories, eating around 1500 (you mentioned TDEE of about 2000) for the next 8-12 weeks and assess your progress at that point.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    It could be that the point at which you "give up" is the problem. If you are menstruating, you'll be going through water retention/gut slow-down cycle once a month. The first thing I would suggest is powering through the "give up" period and see if you can maintain a plan for 2 months & re-assess. The second thing is that while your tracking is pretty consistent, those meals that you aren't logging (maybe eating out or at a friend's?) may be ones that you are consuming more than you think. The third thing is to look at your level of activity - if you are over-estimating that, then your deficit is smaller than you think. Smaller deficits are easier to wipe out over the course of a week if you're eating out/take-out, whatever.