Question regarding protein

Options
I find myself going over on my protein quite often and I am just wondering if that is really a bad thing? I stay under on my Carbs, Fat etc...but atleast 2x a week I am over on protein. Today I am over by 30...

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No, its a good thing!!!!
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing the exact same thing. I've always heard that protein is good for you. Would like to hear input on this one as well.
  • cjack19
    cjack19 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    are you basing that on the MFP Diary? I saw something yesterday about the default % is set by MFP and you can change that based on your needs - hopefully someone that understands it more can explain it! I was going over everyday as well and I changed by options .....
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You could tweak your protein/carbs/fat ratio/goals in favor of protein (such as 50/30/20 or so)...
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't going over by a huge amount its not a problem. Some people have problems with excess protein.
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    I have done South Beach Diet before which is no carbs, all protein for phase 1 and honestly I think it's ok to do all protein and less carbs unless it's whole grain carbs. More protein equals more muscle!

Carbs hold water. So, if you eat less carbs you don't retain water and you pee a lot which is how you lose water weight!

So, to answer your question-going over on protein isn't a bad thing. It's just not good in the long run for the kidneys if I'm thinking right but by "long run" I mean doing all protein, no carbs for a LONG period of time!!!

HTH!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Wish I could even get the protein recommended. I tend to go for the carbs. . .
  • k121777
    k121777 Posts: 306
    Options
    If your going to go over on something, it should be the protein. (But try not to do it often) I must be your twin because I go over on mine several times a week too. Easy to do when you eat a protein bar.......those things are loaded with protein!
  • HotMamaByVday
    HotMamaByVday Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I am over on protein almost every day. I don't stress over it.
  • tjnd88
    Options
    Not a problem going over if you are drinking enough water. Excess protein can put some some pressure on your kidneys, but water intake is how you balance it all out !
  • karengroovy
    karengroovy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I need extra protein and limited carbs, so I changed my % settings in goals to increase protein. (my understanding is) as long as you're eating lean proteins, it's fine.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go over on anything, protein would be the thing to do it with! But still got to watch. Too much of anything is bad.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein/carbs completely backwards in my opinion.. Luckily you can change them to fir your own lifestyle.

I have mine at 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat ... it works for me. (I am former Type II diabetic and have pcos)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Like others have said - I switched mine to. I shoot for 40% carbs, 30% each fats and protein. I barely ever hit it - but that is my goal.

Oh, and change you fiber up too - in my opinion, that is the other thing MFP sets a bit too low. Everyone should be getting 25 g of fiber.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Over on protein is fine.
    Carbs hold water. So, if you eat less carbs you don't retain water and you pee a lot which is how you lose water weight!
    That's simple carbs ONLY. Complex carbs do not cause water retention (actually can help shed water weight).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find myself going over on my protein quite often and I am just wondering if that is really a bad thing? I stay under on my Carbs, Fat etc...but atleast 2x a week I am over on protein. Today I am over by 30...

I find myself doing the same thing. I don't have any healthy problems because of it but now that I'm logging and tracking it I have been trying to keep any eye on it. I've found that having more vegetarian meals keeps a better balance. I usually still go over especially when I eat meat, but I get a better weekly balance. As long as you don't have any existing kidney problems I doubt the extra protein is likely to hurt you.
  • kk0223
    Options
  • kk0223
    Options
    Over on protein is fine.
    That's simple carbs ONLY. Complex carbs do not cause water retention (actually can help shed water weight).

Thanks!
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....very helpful:happy: