New with a couple questions!

Options
Hi Everyone! I am new to this and am trying to educate myself about the site. My main question is do I stick to my calorie goal that is the same everyday? When I add my exercise in my calorie intake for the day goes up stating I can use more. Is it okay to use the extra calories or do I need to stay focused on my calorie goal it gives me even without exercise for the day? Please help! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to follow the calculations including the subtraction from exercise. So if it says 1000 and you burn 300 exercising, you can eat 1300 calories and achieve the same goal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to eat those extra calories in order to hit your weekly weight loss goal. Your static amount has a build in deficit when you exercise you increase the deficit, so if you eat them back then your deficit is what you intended it on being to hit your weekly loss goal.
  • tjnd88
    Options
    It's a good idea to eat back at least half of your exercise calories, if not more. Just don't eat them late at night. Try to stick to the "no food after 10 pm" rule, if you can.
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    They give you the extra calories to eat. Your body has a Basal Metabolic Rate, BMR, that is what is needed to live for the day, doing NOTHING... when you add in your activity level (this is supposed to include ALL the stuff you do EVERY DAY) your calories are adjusted to reflect that by MFP. When you exercise, you burn ADDITIONAL calories that were not calculated into the initial # of calories you were advised to follow according to your activity level, (Your body can't run as well on insufficient calories, so they give them back to you to eat). The one caveat I have to that is, it seems they are a TAD generous with exercise calories... I eat back a good portion of them, but not generally all of them.

Good Luck!

Sonia
  • frannieelijah
    Options
    Thank all of you soooo much! That is what I was thinking to but after many failed attempts at weight loss I wanted to make sure I was just making it up in my head to add extra calories! LOL