Overtime snack ideas

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking for something that i can store, doesn't require water, won't go off too quickly etc, that I can keep in a locker or toolbox at work for days when we run over and I don't have enough food etc.

Alpen cereal bars are nice enough but just don't fill me up or seem to offer me any energy boost.

I have loads of fruit during my normal days and plan my packed lunch ahead, but I'm after "emergency" stashes that I can grab on the way out of the door and eat en-route to a call-out for example. Obviously I am not going to make loads of extra packed lunch just in case we work late, but know I can't go from 2:30pm until 7pm without something...

I don't mind if it's homemade, but it has to last for ages (so I'll make a large batch every so often), needs to be a bar or bisuit or something. I'm a bit stuck.

Cheers, Martin

Replies

• tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    NUTS! They sell mini packs, but it is easy to just buy them in the bulk section and dole out a serving size into bags to store in your desk or anywhere else.

I just had another idea. It is kind of weird-- I snack on 1/2 a cup of beans sometimes. They are full of protein and fiber, and keep me pretty full. 100 cals per half cup, depending on what kind of bean. Just store a can of them and a can opener somewhere.
  • potuschris
    Options
    I'm a big fan of fiber bars. I tend to have a smaller 90 calorie one as a morning snack, but when I was taking night classes, I would often have one has a late afternoon snack to get me through class. I also really like the High Energy Trail Mix from Wal-Mart.
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi, someone on here suggested taking in 25g bags of mixed fruit and nuts in, protein and enough cals to tide you over (one saved me today) lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I keep nuts and Kashi granola bars (the ones that are lower in sugar) in my desk for the very same reason. I find that one bar and a handful of nuts can keep me going for another 1-2 hrs.
  • alohabrie
    Options
    They have small cans of tuna in water. You can keep a couple of those around and some crackers? Other than that - Fiber One bars are my go to for a good shelf life.
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K meal replacement bars. They have chocolately chip, chocolate peanut butter, chocolate caramel and other flavors. My local walmart sells a 6-pack for just under $6. On average it is 170 calories, 10 g protein, 5 g fiber, 6 g fat.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky
    Nuts
    Dried fruit
    Dry cereal (high fiber/protein)
    Apple chips (baked not fried)
    Canned beans
    :)
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    In the UK we have "fridge raiders" (pieces of chicken in a bag for snacking) or "pepperami" or "cheese strings". Great for snacking.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Did I mention I don't like nuts...

lol.

I'll try some different ones as I know there are loads of types. Good idea, and one I may have thought of if I liked nuts lol.

Any canned goods, tuna etc aren't an option, anything that requires spoons etc is no good. Must be in a bag or wrapper I can bin on the go.

Nuts or maybe the granola/special k bars seem the best ideas so far. Thanks. Might try making a trail mix of nuts and rasins and maybe dried fruit?
  • martinh78
    Options
    In the UK we have "fridge raiders" (pieces of chicken in a bag for snacking) or "pepperami" or "cheese strings". Great for snacking.

I am in the UK, will have a look at those. I make my own chicken bag snacks for the day actaully, with left over chicken, but they don't keep for long.

I haven't had cheese for 6 weeks....I daren't, I'll crack and and up ordering pizza!
  • martinh78
    Options
    Just another thought, maybe a protein shake but a ready made/330ml bottle. Need to check if they keep out of the fridge.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    http://www.mattessons.co.uk/?page_id=212

Fridge Raiders.. :)

They do a range of flavours - piri piri, southern fried, tikka

They are handy little bags. :)
  • martinh78
    Options
    http://www.mattessons.co.uk/?page_id=212

Fridge Raiders.. :)

They do a range of flavours - piri piri, southern fried, tikka

They are handy little bags. :)

They look good actually, you'd expect them to be worse for the ingredients etc. Should be able to keep them in a fridge at work and remember to grab them before leaving. Thanks.