Much needed support and motivation

Options
I've been exercising for 2 weeks now, the exercises are nothing, but it's getting harder and harder when people around you are not too keen about supporting you and just said 'your body is enough' and when you get fat, you are bombarded with question 'why did you get fat?' Especially when I want to them get on board with me through my exercise and you can see the distaste that they don't want to, and I am left alone. I'm in a normal weight 124 lbs 5'2 and had 22.7 to 23% of body fat, but still I want to stay fit. But the people around me...I don't know and the quarantine is not helping so much...

Replies

• Andia15
    Andia15 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on anyone else to do what makes you feel happy or what you feel you want/need to do.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Options
    You've located the problem... "The people around me.."

Rule 1 of weight loss: don't rely on others, get support off then for sure but don't rely on it.

You need to ignore them, and support yourself! Or alternatively find the right people to support you like other friends or family or even people on here! I'm sure you'll find every one on here highly supportive of your goals as we're all in the same boat lol!

You won't be able to get anybody to get onboard with you if they don't want to. They have to want it themselves and if they don't (which is what happening) they will look upon it with distaste.

Any further questions from others I would just respond with, I'm not trying to lose/gain weight just maintaining fitness.
    That way it shows you're happy with your size so they got F all else to say about it!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Do what works for yourself. Unfortunately, other people get to follow that same mantra. Your friends, family may have no interest in taking this journey with you. They may change in time but don't count on it.

If you are the sort of person who does not want to exercise/workout alone - look for local groups you can join. It is more challenging now with the pandemic, but you may be able to find something that gives you a social connection in addition to exercise.

I share my goals with my immediate family. And with friends I know to be like minded. Not to try to get them to join me, but as a way of letting them what is important to me. And because if I share my goals, it make me a little more assertive in sticking with them. As an adult with a family, it becomes so easy to put everyone else's needs above my own bt it is OK to be a little selfish from time to time.