My upright walker makes walking for exercise possible again

I fly around the local sidewalks using my upright walker. It has made walking for exercise possible again!

Bear in mind, I'm pushing 70 y.o. Between being sedentary and obese, having scoliosis, totally lacking core strength, untrustworthy knees, ... walking became painful. Walking is an enjoyable exercise for me. For a few years, I used crutches to help me stay upright but eventually it got to my wrists and wasn't supporting my back enough.

Yes, yes, I know, appropriate strength and stretching exercises are important for core strength but I'm just recommending an upright walker, too, if you think it will help you get the aerobic exercise that is also important.

Right now, I'm increasing distances with daily 5K being the aim. So far, at about 2K and, oh, boy, it makes me feel good!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    God bless you for doing this, and may you reap many rewards for your efforts.

I’ll bet you a dollar you’ll be off the walker completely by the time you reach 5k, and I sure hope I lose!
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Go Heidi go!!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,748 Member
    Finding a way around or through limitations and obstacles, and gradually working at it, starting from wherever a person finds herself, is how fitness happens. Kudos to you!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Yay! You are so inspiring.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Awesome!! Rock on!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Oh wow! Good on you!

Not sure if you've heard about or looked into these Alinker devices...

https://www.thealinker.com/

And if you have access to an occupational therapist or physiotherapist, they may have some other tips for you to make the most out of your walker. It sounds like you'll grind this one to metal shards in no time!

Keep it up!!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Well did!

So happy for you.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Not sure if you've heard about or looked into these Alinker devices...https://www.thealinker.com/
    That's a cool looking machine. Wouldn't be the ticket for me but I can see lots of other folks using it.