started gaining again!

Options
hi everyone, i could do with some advice...

i reached my target weight several months ago and have been maintaining fine.
i weigh myself once a week (in the morning, before food) and seem to have gained 2 pounds in 2 weeks. i am not eating any more than usual (sticking within my maintainence calories) and i'm definately drinking enough water. any idea what could have caused this?
at this rate i'll be back to my starting weight be christmas!

thanks!

Replies

• SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise like? Did you stop exercising when you started maintenance? Have you been eating more processed foods now versus when dieting?
  • melissabee31
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates because of many different factors. I weighed 136 3 days ago and today I weigh 133. While I am still trying to get to my target weight, I find that what I'm eating really affects my weight. If I eat tons of salt, I weigh more. If I'm on my period, I weigh more. If I ate late at night the night before, I weigh more. If I'm dehydrated, hungover, drank some alcohol, I weigh more. You get the point.

Don't freak out over two pounds. Drink more water and maybe try and focus on what you're eating more, not simply how much you're eating. More fiber, fresh fruit veggies, and low glycemic index foods will control your weight better than high fat, empty calorie foods, or foods high in sugar, fake sugar, and high fructose corn syrup.

Hope this helps!
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    2lbs in 2 weeks shouldn't be much of a concern. Your body fluctuates quite a bit. Are you getting enough potassium? It could be water. Are you strength training? Could be muscle (a good thing!) Seriously I wouldn't worry about it...

Scott
  • cuquee
    Options
    I just wanted to encourage you to continue on the path you are on. Gaining two pounds within two weeks could mean a number of things but it doesn't mean you will go back to where you were before. I don't want to throw out medical reasons why b/c I'm not a doctor but I think the important thing is you have made healthier choices and overall have become a better person for it. Our body's gain and loose all of the time; I think it's normal and it keeps us in balance. Continue on and if it's 5lbs. in a month than maybe do something different but I don't think you have anything to worry about. :) Keep moving forward!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Have you been exercising more heavily? Developing muscle could cause weight gain, and sore muscles also retain water.
    Have you moved recently? Altitude and humidity levels can affect how much water your body retains, too.
    Have you been getting enough sleep? Even something like that affects your hormone levels, and your hormones affect how efficiently your body will process calories. I generally lose steadily, but I notice that I lose less if I'm not very careful to get enough sleep, or at certain times of the month, or if I'm stressed out about something.

And of course, for women there's always the indelicate question of "Could you be pregnant?" :blushing:
  • joliejolie123456
    Options
    cheers for the advice guys.
    I dont think i'm doing anything differently but i will definately pay more attention to what kind of foods i am eating and drinking. I guess, to be honest, i dont exercise quite as much as i used to when i was trying to lose so that could be part of it. unfortunately i cant afford my gym membership anymore so i should probably spend some more time hoola hooping.
    thanks again!