Ideal weight preference?

Options
Ok, body builders/powerlifters..

I want to ask you guys what’s an impressive weight for my height/weight.

I’m building up my deadlifts (I just started), and squats.

I have a pr for squats at 165.
Deadlifts weak right now at 125.

I’m 166cm, 58kg.
Muscle mass 36%

I feel I could push more, but should I just push for hypertrophy at lower weights, or just max out with one rep tries?

I’ve noticed using a lifting belt has helped my with squats tremendously. How long do you rest each set?

Thanks.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I think you have a few questions that there isn't a answer especially if you are asking bodybuilders and powerlifters in same breath.

Impressive weight for your size?
    A weight that is closer to your short and/or long term goal. If your goal is lift impressive weight, I'm not concerned about today...rather years from now.

Strength isn't measured by a number alone, but by the individual capabilities and what they have adapted to.

I'm easily impressed by a 52kg pulling 55kg or 156kg or a 120kg lifter pulling 105kg or 350kg if that is their goal.

Btw hypertrophy can be achieved at lower and high reps, lower and higher intensity if programmed correctly for the individual. Plenty of established evidence showing this.

It goes back to sufficient volume at appropriate intensity that involves full muscle motors recruitment.

1rm does in fact involve full muscle motor recruitment, but not sufficient volume to drive MPS. So maxing out 1rm doesn't achieve strength or hypertrophy in any measurement.

1RM is used to display strength, not gain it.

In fact frequent 1rm will hinder progress until the individual can once again train & build up sufficient volume and intensity within ranges they respond to.

As far as belts and wait time between sets, generally speaking about 3-5 minutes is reasonable.

I have some of my lifters on 15-20 second rest periods within my programing at times. I wouldn't suggest anybody doing it randomly and it is specifically dosed for a reason.
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/lb

I like to use this chart as inspiration. I'm not sure about the accuracy of it.

That’s an interesting site to do. Thanks for the link. I saw some other website have that as well, but the one you’ve linked was more of a detailed one I think
  • imxnianne
    imxnianne Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    imxnianne wrote: »

I’m 166cm, 58kg.
    Muscle mass 36%

I feel I could push more, but should I just push for hypertrophy at lower weights, or just max out with one rep tries?

I’ve noticed using a lifting belt has helped my with squats tremendously. How long do you rest each set?

Thanks.

Stefi Cohen is 5' (152cm) and weights about 119 lbs (56 kg). Her deadlift record is 529 lbs (239 kg) and her squat was 495 lbs (225 kg). That is impressive by any metric. It's much more than I can either deadlift or squat and I'm a fairly muscular 225lb man... I can bench a lot more than she can but that's about it. lol

u8dflsjobmxy.jpg

Jesus Christ! That is insane for her height!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I’m 166cm, 58kg.
    Muscle mass 36%

Thanks.

Stefi Cohen is 5' (152cm) and weights about 119 lbs (56 kg). Her deadlift record is 529 lbs (239 kg) and her squat was 495 lbs (225 kg). That is impressive by any metric. It's much more than I can either deadlift or squat and I'm a fairly muscular 225lb man... I can bench a lot more than she can but that's about it. lol

u8dflsjobmxy.jpg

Jesus Christ! That is insane for her height!

Sometimes shorter height can be a advantage especially with specifically longer arms because a shorter ROM. Steph is a cert bada$$ and is a educated person in the industry from the content I've witnessed so far. The only advantages some might argue she has over others is a extremely dedicated training style and perhaps special "help" that "might or might not" assist more than other lifter who do not.

I would hazard if I had that ROM at my height(6'3") I might add in the area of 100# to my 1RM instantly in a fantasy powerlifting world :dizzy: .