Ideas for Casseroles?

Options
Morgz45
Morgz45 Posts: 6 Member
Hello!

I will be traveling over the next few months for work. I want to make up some heatlhy casseroles to freeze that my husband can eat while I am away but that I can use when i am home but too tired to cook. Any ideas for healthy, freezable meals?

Thanks,
Morgan

Replies

• mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marindak
    Options
    bump
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Mashed potato casserole:
    make mashed potatoes as you usually would, but throw in some cheese, low fat/fat free cream cheese and garnish with chives. Bake in oven for 45 minutes at 350, then eat. My hubby begs me to make this all the time. Incredibly filling, too.

Sweet Potato Casserole:
    Boil sweet potatoes, drain, then puree with apricots or plumcots. Add nutmeg and cinnamon. Bake for 30 mins at 375.
    Tastes kind of like pumpkin pie filling and is super healthy!
  • emachine
    emachine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found this weight watchers pdf. that has a lot of crock pot and easy meals etc. here is the pdf attachment.
    https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B525ckzClYn6MDA5MjMwNGMtZmNmYi00ZGZkLWExZjgtMWIxMzg0Mjc2NzRk&hl=en
  • Honeyjar66
    Options
    bump
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    bump

ditto this idea guys :wink:
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Rice, Bean, and Cheese Casserole?
  • miss_motivation
    Options
    I made one on monday with sweet potato, carrot, onion, mushroom, corn, peas, pork mince, tinned tomato, paprika, bisto gravy. Only 200 calories per serve and lots of fibre.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are after- the UK or US version of a casserole.

I'm not sure what the US version of a casserole is really, but I have seen many recipes for ones containing pasta, or cheese. Perhaps more like a 'bake' in the UK. I would be grateful if someone from th US could define the US style of casserole?

The UK/French versions of casseroles are made in casserole pots (Dutch ovens) and slow cooked on the hob/ in the oven or made in a slow cooker (crock pot). These are liquid based and usually contain meat and vegetables, casseroles/stews are hearty comfort foods.

You can make many casseroles lower in cals/ better for you by choosing the leaner cuts of meat, low sodium stock, skimming off any fat that accumulates at the top of the pot etc...

Try chicken breasts slow cooked with chicken stock, garlic, a tablespoon of green pesto and summer veg like broad beans, french beans, courgettes (zucchini) spinach and basil.

or hungarian goulash- pork, tomatoes, paprika, bell peppers, veg stock, onions finished with low fat sour cream.

Or lean beef cooked in red wine and beef stock with carrots, onions and mushrooms and a couple of bay leaves.

Yum.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    You can make a large Shepard's pie casserole, and freeze it. Take a large casserole pan and layer beef rump roast, corn, vegetables, and then top it with mashed potatoes. Bake it for about fifteen to twenty minutes and it will be delicious. :)