Preserving muscle and staying sane during a cut

Options
EliseTK1
EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
This week I started a cut. (Technically I started last week, but didn't continue... so try, try again!) My maintenance is just above 1900 kcal/day plus additional for exercise as measured by an Apple Watch. (I verified this by compiling a year's worth of log data.)

In 2018-2019 I lost ~20 lbs with mainly cardio and diet. I started lifting weights regularly a little over a year ago, and I've been within the same 5 lb range since then. I have a decent amount of muscle at this point, and I'm ready to let go of the last 15-20 lbs to let that muscle shine.

One thing I've noticed is that it is very difficult for me to lift weights while calorie restricting. Cardio is no problem and even helps decrease my appetite, but weight lifting makes me HANGRY. I also struggle with strength loss while in a deficit. Nothing huge, but it still sucks.

I decided to handle it this way- I'm going to only lift twice a week, just to hit all the body parts and keep my muscle. Intensity will be adjusted based on how I feel. Cardio is daily. I've increased my protein percentage and am getting at minimum 100g daily (5'5" and currently 160 lbs) to help with both appetite and muscle preservation. Overall kcal deficit is ~500/day.

My question is, do any of you have some good tips or tricks to make this cut go smoothly? I have lost weight successfully in the past, but this will be the first time I focus so hard on preserving muscle. I've worked hard for it!

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yep, do the opposite. Cardio twice a week and lift more often. Do some full body resistance training daily.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I don't experience what you are describing but I do lose any ability to progress when cutting as well as some lifts drop. But it doens't impact my hunger at all.

Are you eating back some portion of exercise calories? Maybe 500 cals per day is too aggressive for you with only 15 to 20lbs left to go.
  • EliseTK1
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback. I agree it would be beneficial to have a smaller deficit, but I'm already looking at 4-5 months to hit my goal, and I don't want to drag it out longer than I have to. I'd really like to be back at maintenance by the holidays. :p

I eat back enough exercise kcal to keep my deficit right around 500, so it's not unreasonable. I'll take that advice and swap some of those cardio sessions for weights. I'll have to gauge how I feel and up the protein if I'm losing strength or battling hunger. Some days I get up to 130g protein already- just depends what I'm eating.

It really is a huge challenge to juggle the right amounts/types of exercise with proper diet to get that lean and strong physique, especially when you're used to being fluffy and all that comes with it. But I guess if it were easy, everyone would do it.
  • EliseTK1
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Lyle McDonald

https://bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-while-dieting

"An additional idea that seems to have come straight out of professional bodybuilding in the 70’s and 80’s is that training frequency and volume should INCREASE on a diet. There are some today that still propagate this nonsensical idea and I want to address it first."

"In general, both research and real-world experience shows that both the volume and frequency of training can be reduced by up to 2/3rds from their original level but only if training intensity is maintained. Any other combination, meaning any approach that reduces training intensity, always results in a loss of training adaptations.

In this context, maintaining intensity means maintaining the weight on the bar as this is what maintains the high muscular tension that both build and maintain muscle mass.

In practical terms this means that someone who had been performing 6-8 heavy sets per muscle group twice per week could reduce their volume to roughly 2-3 sets (a 2/3rd reduction) done once/week. Quite in fact, this is one of the very few times I think training a muscle group once per week is optimal: when the goal is maintenance."

This was a really good read, thank you.
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I am in a similar boat losing again- but I go much slower. In terms of calorie cutting I personally can't be at that much of a deficit and be a nice human. LOL! (true though) Some days I am- but not purposely so and rarely since I eat every few hours. Like you I love feeling strong and lifting weights. Its more of my hobby and passion than for a certain goal.

I am sure you are great with diet- but have you tried going for higher satiety/fiber with your meals? Like many of us I stick to the same types of things when I lose weight, lots of chicken breast / ground chicken/ fish and sweet potatoes as my base with veggies/salads to keep me feeling well fueled. Then I am flexible about a few meals a week or adult bevs.

I also keep carbs in the whole diet in the form of sweet potatoes and what is in veggies and that seems to help keep me sane while developing the toned physique I prefer. Keep in mind my goals might be totally different though. I like having abs and muscle at 170-180lbs on a 5'10 frame. Roughly 17-20% body fat.

My very last cut I lost 30lbs much faster than I anticipated (in 3 months) eating sweet potatoes and chicken 4 times a day. With SF BBQ sauce. Random, but it kept me super satiated - and the excess weight just melted off. I did do cardio twice a day since my fiancé had to for a show he was in- so I just did super low intensity slow cardio along with my lifting routine 3-4 times a week. I also went Kindle crazy and read a LOT to keep me entertained mentally.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    With the info on refeeds available, and diet breaks, and only 15-20 to go, normally 1/2 lb weekly would be reasonable, but if you did 1 lb weekly goal until around 10 left, took a break for a week to confirm hormone levels back, did another 5 @ 1 lb weekly, another week break, and finished off the 5 at 1 lb weekly - you could have little to no issues. Still shorter time span than 1/2 weekly (30 wks to 17 wks).

Only because you haven't been dieting down to the last 15-20 lbs for months on end already.
    You are starting at maintenance. You have a little more play available.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    OP my training doesn’t change at all when I’m cutting.

I guess if lifting makes you hungry then I can see this is a problem. Can you cycle calories at all around your hunger? I’ve never tried this.

I tried 2 meals a day and that worked up to a point but I like breakfast.

The only thing that seems to work for me is a small deficit and regular diet breaks. It takes me about 12 weeks to lose 5 pounds which is a lot slower than many lifters here. But I’m not in a hurry
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    @heybales - thanks for pulling that Lyle quote up. I was about to do so myself... I’ve been through many bulk and cut cycles and have never lost muscle using his principles. It’s very frustrating hearing people push the exact opposite, high frequency, high volume, and low intensity lifting during a cut. I see so much wheel spinning because of this and subsequent suspicion about the bulk and cut process.
  • EliseTK1
    Options
    Soooo I posted this two weeks ago, and this is how things have gone so far:

- I've lost ~4 pounds in 3 weeks. Some of that was definitely water starting off.
    - I am lifting weights 3 x week alternating upper and lower body which is my usual for the last year, so I did not change it.
    - I am doing cardio every day which is more than my usual 3-4 x week: walking, spinning, elliptical, whatever I can do to burn some extra calories at low to medium intensity.
    - My strength has stayed the same so far. Whew.
    - My excessive hunger has subsided. I am no longer feeling hangry, and I definitely don't feel weak. My protein level is generally 100g+ daily which is a minimum of 1.52 g/kg or 0.69 g/lb goal weight.
    - My overall kcal deficit is between 250-500 on most days. It's difficult to maintain the 500 kcal deficit every day with life happening, but at this point I can stick close to it without feeling ill effects.

I think this is working. The diet breaks will happen naturally during some upcoming vacations and special events, so at this point I don't feel the need to plan those out. I will probably lose a little slower than I originally hoped, but slow progress is still progress.

In the meantime, my clothes already fit better, and I can see a line down my thigh that I've never seen before. Woooooot!!