Spirtual help with weight loss

Options
Anyone ever sought any spiritual help or " a higher power" ie: God with their weight loss journey?

Replies

• sixxx
    sixxx Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    No.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. But I seek spiritual help, guidance, comfort and strength for all of life's challenges, not just the weight loss.
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm pagan so my spirituality is part of everything I do including trying to lose weight. If you have a path or believe in a "higher power", I think your spirituality is a valuable tool dealing with weight loss.

For Christians "your body is a temple" and you should look at how you are treating that temple and how you SHOULD be treating that temple

For Pagans - it is a nature-based religion ... if you are fat then you are using more resources that you need which is not good for you or the earth.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    God helps those that help themselves.

In other words, prayer can help the faithful as long as you don't work against what you pray for.

Example: You pray "Please help me stay away from fried food" and then you have McDonald's for lunch.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I Can Do all things....

You bet! A little help never hurt.
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have! It's what got me started actaully about a month ago. After a horrible fight with my fiance'....started by me because I had gotten so down on myself due to my weight I was driving to work. God told me that I'd been praying for years and years for a reason to be motivated and gey myself into gear to lose weight without being sick or having health issues. He told me that he can't give me any more reasons or motivation than what He'd already given me. Because I had to decide and make the choice that I needed to take care of myself. But He could give me the strength to fight that voice in my head that tells me to not do it today, to wait till tomorrow, to eat whatever I want, etc....I try to stay in prayer about it. And I have others praying for me as well. It's the only thing that's made this time on my journey different.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about a weekly "fast day"
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I pray regularly and ask God to continue helping me improve myself, being a better mom, stronger person, ect. Getting fit has been spiritual too since it goes along with those prayers and because you go through struggles and find yourself searching for strength to continue and reinvest your hopes. I don't pray for God to do it for me, but I do pray for His continued presence and involvement in ALL of my life :)
  • pattybond1234
    pattybond1234 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Personally, I believe that God will not do for you what you can do for yourself. In other words, I don't believe I can ask Him to help me lose weight while I continue to eat unhealthy foods and not exercise. However, I do believe that if you make the effort and do those things for yourself, you can ask Him for the strength, willpower, stamina, etc., to keep wanting to eat healthy and exercise. For example, I smoked for 15+ years. When I finally made the decision to quit, I'd built a very strong addiction to them and was puffing on 2 packs a day. I made the effort to quit smoking and was successful, but I couldn't seem to break the addicition or desire for them. I prayed and asked God to help me overcome that last hurdle. And, He did! I haven't smoked in over 10 years and, today, I cannot tolerate the smell of them. In fact, second hand smoke makes me very ill. Hope this helps!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Bikermike, I hit on this in my recent blog:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/trelm249

Cheers.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I suggest a book by Lysa TerKeurst – Made to Crave.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

In other words, prayer can help the faithful as long as you don't work against what you pray for.

Example: You pray "Please help me stay away from fried food" and then you have McDonald's for lunch.
    So what does prayer actually do then?
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    As a born again believer I cannot separate my "physical" side from my "spiritual" side, so I approach thing more holistically, so yes, I do seek Spiritual help from God on his.
  • winstonh
    Options
    It ain't my bag but whatever works for ya!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options

So what does prayer actually do then?
    Helps you keep your resolve. Some might use a mantra or motivational/inspirational thoughts of the day. I believe in God, it's always nice to have someone to go to for strength.