Adjust macros?

Options
Should I be trying to customize macros/calories or trust what MFP gives me? I’ve tried a few different online macro calculators

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    MFP's macros are a reasonable starting point, for most people. Once you get your calories and satiation dialed in, if you feel like going more nerd-like about nutrition details in pursuit of health goals, you can research beyond that if you like. Meantime, I'd suggest treating protein & fat as minimums, but not stressing about being a little under/over, especially if you are under on one on one day, and the other on another day. Close is plenty good enough.

IMO, carbs are mostly important for personal and individual reasons: Some people find that that carbs trigger appetite; other people find energy level tanks if they go too low. You'll figure that out pretty easily along the way, for your own body, I suspect. Personally, I use carbs (and occasionally moderate alcohol**) as the balancers for calories, once the essential protein and fats are on point.

** Alcohol isn't carbs, fats or protein. It's sort of like a whole separate macro, at about 7 calories per gram, but I wouldn't call it a "macronutrient" because . . . it's not really a nutrient, is it? ;)