Separating & Storing Egg Whites?

Options
Hello, I've searched the Message Boards but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so maybe all you wonderful MFP people can help?

In the effort to save pennies wherever I can, I want to start separating and storing my own egg whites, rather than buying the cartons of them at the grocery store. Has anyone done this? And any recommendations on how long I can store them that way? I was thinking of doing a dozen eggs at a time and storing them in a shaker cup. The type that you can make shakes in and they have the measuring marks on them.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    good question,i await a top answer too!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hello, I've searched the Message Boards but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for so maybe all you wonderful MFP people can help?

In the effort to save pennies wherever I can, I want to start separating and storing my own egg whites, rather than buying the cartons of them at the grocery store. Has anyone done this? And any recommendations on how long I can store them that way? I was thinking of doing a dozen eggs at a time and storing them in a shaker cup. The type that you can make shakes in and they have the measuring marks on them.

Thanks everyone!

Why not keep them in the shells and separate them when you need them?
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

Gorilla you just made me laugh out load !!!!! Good answer!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I've just gotten really good at separating. It only takes a few seconds in the morning to separate as you make eggs. Hardly any more time then just pour. Although I do know seconds count sometimes :)

Is there another reason you are looking to store?

In any case, here are a few weeks if you do want to do ahead of time:

http://bakingbites.com/2008/03/how-to-store-leftover-egg-yolks-and-leftover-egg-whites/

http://eggs.ab.ca/recipes-tips/handling-storage

They are only good for 2-4 days though.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

^^
    This
  • zoodalia
    Options

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, surely that's the only way to keep them fresh? Hope someone can help more than I can. Good luck!:)
  • remembertheharddrive
    Options
    My mom always kept eggbeaters in the freezer. As long as you're just storing the whites, you can just put them into a freezer safe container. My suggestion would be to separate them into one of those ice trays with a cover. Make egg white cubes, so you know how much you're getting at a time. Like every cube is two egg whites.

I don't think yolks keep. However, I could be wrong.
  • donbet69
    Options
    4 days in an airtight container, refrigerated.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Keep them in the shell unless you are going to eat then with in 2 days. are you tossing the yolks?
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Another vote for keeping them shelled. Shelled eggs stay fresh for 3-4 weeks in the refrigerator.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Thanks everyone!

^^^ So practical. lol
  • sistermooooon
    Options

Thanks everyone!

Well...........Because there are some days that I just might not have the will power to separate and toss the yolk away, but rather just get lazy and plop it into the pan. Another reason would be to save time when I'm getting 3 kids ready for school in the morning, and other reason would be so I don't revert back into thinking "why am I wasting what I spent my money on by throwing it away?". Thank You donbet69, very helpful!!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Separate them and freeze them, you can actually freeze eggs without separating them, crack them into a plastic container, put the lid on and freeze.
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    Keep them in the shell unless you are going to eat then with in 2 days. are you tossing the yolks?

I am definitely tossing the yolks. No need to keep that poison around. :) Just teasing. Thanks for the info. I was hoping it would be longer than 2 days. Bummer.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Also remember egg yolks aren't all bad for you - tossing a full egg in with your eggs whites is actually a good thing. They get a bad rap. The egg yolk contains many good vitamins and minerals.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Like everything - in moderation! But they certainly are NOT poison!
  • sistermooooon
    Options
    Also remember egg yolks aren't all bad for you - tossing a full egg in with your eggs whites is actually a good thing. They get a bad rap. The egg yolk contains many good vitamins and minerals.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

Like everything - in moderation! But they certainly are NOT poison!

Thanks for the link. I was just teasing about the yolks being poison. I tend to just use the egg whites as a sort of 'binder' for all my veggies anyways, and I like to see my plate filled up. Therefore just having the whites works well for me and I can have a larger quantity of food. More bang for my buck, sort to speak. I understand it's not for everyone.