Push ups

Options
whats the easiest way to strengthen whatever muscles to do pushups?

Replies

• wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    do pushups
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    do modified push ups...

start with your hands against a wall and feet a few feet behind you...do wall push ups

when this is easy put your hands on a bench and feet on the floor so you are making a 30-45 degree angle

then go to hands and feet on the floor

when thats easy keep hands on the floor then put feet on the bench (inclined push ups)

the push ups on your knees dont really strengthen your core and aren't the best at improving strength.

see the onehundredpushup.com challenge too!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    do pushups

:laugh:
  • imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    do pushups

LOL!!! that's blunt. But I guess you're right. I started only doing "lady" pushups and I could only do maybe 5 or 6 of them. Now after 8 months I'm able to do 20 of the proper ones at a time.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    Planks will help, as will "walk-out" push-ups---put your hands on the floor, walk them out to push-up position, do one push-up, walk back and repeat.
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    do modified push ups...

start with your hands against a wall and feet a few feet behind you...do wall push ups

when this is easy put your hands on a bench and feet on the floor so you are making a 30-45 degree angle

then go to hands and feet on the floor

when thats easy keep hands on the floor then put feet on the bench (inclined push ups)

the push ups on your knees dont really strengthen your core and aren't the best at improving strength.

see the onehundredpushup.com challenge too!

http://hundredpushups.com is this the site you meant? the other wouldnt work for me...
  • lnorwood81
    Options
    If you can't do a push-up, start by doing a push-up against a wall, then progress to a bench or step. Then you should be able to do them on your knees, then progress to toes.

You could also try doing a few at a time a couple times a day until you build up strength to do many at a time.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You can do some form of modified push ups, or you can do various weight exercises, or use different weight machines, to strengthen your arm and back muscles. You also need to strengthen your abs so that they and your back muscles can be used to support your weight and not just your arms.
  • bsheuma
    bsheuma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try doing them with the knees on the floor - if you haven't already. If that's too difficult, do pushups against a (sturdy) chair, counter, dresser....just something so that you're at a 45 degree angle instead of parallel to the floor.

Now, you're doing pushups with the actual muscles you'll use to do 'regular' pushups. As you get stronger, change the angle so you're more parallel to the floor.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Thanks! I can do about 10 then I shake ha ha!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    If a wall push up is too easy and even push ups on your knees are very hard then make some slight adjustments. Don't place your hands out too wide. Keeping your arms closer to your body will give you more power and you may be able to do 4 or 5 more. As you get stronger, you can vary the way your elbows travel. The further away the travel from the body, the harder the exercise.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Thanks fornthe help guys and gals,
    I see people qt the park doing pushups on benches and such.
    Maybe I should be utilizing my park time lol kids don't want to play with mommy at the park anyways lol
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I just did a post on this subject
    I swear by push ups as one of the single best exercises you can do
    Start VERY slow
    I started by kneeing and pushing up off a pilates ball, start with 10 reps
    I also worked on doing the yoga rod pose...which is just a push up, without pushing up, just lower self then hold it
    From there I worked on holding up my own weight on my arms while I supported my tights on a pilates ball
    later I was able to do a push up off the ground with my tights on the pilates ball
    Once you're able to do full "old school" pushups...try to work to doing 3 sets of 10
    Keep with it...back in March I couldn't hold my own weight up
    Now, (70lbs later), I'm able to do two sets of 50 every morning
    Good luck!