Does this ever happen to you?

Options
meharmahshahid
meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
edited July 2020 in Motivation and Support
I stepped on the scale today to see that I was one pound heavier than yesterday. Now I'm simply agitated and so frustrated. I feel so out of routine, and don't even want to do my workout. My diet didn't change, so the pound must have been water weight, but it is still messing up with my mind like crazy

Replies

• mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens. This morning I was 1# heavier than yesterday. Yesterday I was 1# heavier than Wednesday.

Don't get on the cycle of trying every weight loss fad that comes around. Instead, make the goal one of developing a healthy life style that include healthy eating, sufficient exercise, and a healthy emotional state. Learning to meditate can help just as can calorie tracking apps, but those are just tools. Decide which tools you want to use then use them.
    EAT LESS
    EAT BETTER
    MOVE MORE
  • jlsmith4439
    jlsmith4439 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Same , I actually started this time without weighing . And I’m in 3 weeks now and still haven’t stepped on the scales . This time I’m just doing it and it does kill me not to see if it works but I get very obsessed with numbers so it helps to just ignore it . I did take measurements so I have some point of reference .
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, but weight fluctuations are normal. In my case, for example, my weight will fluctuate +3/-1 lbs during the day usually trending up. If this thing messes with you then maybe you should weight yourself once a week instead of daily.
  • meharmahshahid
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    I'm not expert, but weight fluctuations are normal. In my case, for example, my weight will fluctuate +3/-1 lbs during the day usually trending up. If this thing messes with you then maybe you should weight yourself once a week instead of daily.

I REALLY try to not check my weight daily but it is literally an obsession
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yep. It’s just 1 data point though.

And for me I also get a drop when I’ve had a big meal and do expect it to go up. That’s a weird thing but it’s just water fluctuations and soon to be poop
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

I would maybe have a bit of a think about the intense anxiety around weight loss. It feels like there's something else going on..
    You seem really anxious about it and seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself.
  • meharmahshahid
    Options
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683010/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-fluctuations/p1

I would maybe have a bit of a think about the intense anxiety around weight loss. It feels like there's something else going on..
    You seem really anxious about it and seem to be putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

I know, I feel so toxic
  • Geneveremfp
    Options
    Y

I know, I feel so toxic

You're not toxic! It's not your fault that you're feeling this way at all. I personally have come through eating disorders and mental health problems so that's why I am a bit worried about your thought patterns. Food feels like something you can control when you don't feel control of other things and then the scale doesn't tally up it feels terrible because you feel like you're losing control - at least that was my experience.

I found therapy really helpful. I took the time to unpack some of my anxieties and thought patterns and to use some strategies to help me. Either in person or online. I also find working on mindfulness has been one of those strategies that's really helped and yoga is one of those mindful activities that I find really valuable.

You deserve to feel comfortable with yourself and successful. This is not your fault and you are not toxic.
  • meharmahshahid
    Options
    Y

I know, I feel so toxic

You're not toxic! It's not your fault that you're feeling this way at all. I personally have come through eating disorders and mental health problems so that's why I am a bit worried about your thought patterns. Food feels like something you can control when you don't feel control of other things and then the scale doesn't tally up it feels terrible because you feel like you're losing control - at least that was my experience.

I found therapy really helpful. I took the time to unpack some of my anxieties and thought patterns and to use some strategies to help me. Either in person or online. I also find working on mindfulness has been one of those strategies that's really helped and yoga is one of those mindful activities that I find really valuable.

You deserve to feel comfortable with yourself and successful. This is not your fault and you are not toxic.

Honestly, you are so correct! I'm a teenager (18) and at this point, i honestly feel like food is the only thing I can control. I couldn't have put it in better words myself. Whenever I see an increased number, I feel so out of control although I KNOW ITS WATER WEIGHT. This causes me to lose control on other parts of my day, such as a very half hearted workout where I feel like I didn't put all my energy in, and eating an extra bite or so, although it feels like a whole plate to me, and so on. I wish I could have a better mindset, but very toxic aspects led me to my weight loss journey, such as the constant ''comments'' I got from my own family. I wish I could be stronger than this
  • meharmahshahid
    Options

I just read the link you sent and I want to thank you as it was so good and helped me clear the anxiety I have!!!
  • Geneveremfp
    Options
    Just some things that might help:

Mind.org.uk - lots of information and support on there. You might not be uk but still helpful

Kooth.com online crisis counselling service. They're only open some hours and again uk but might be helpful.

Good luck. We're all here for you and rooting for you. You've got this and you are good enough.
  • meharmahshahid
    Options
    Just some things that might help:

Mind.org.uk - lots of information and support on there. You might not be uk but still helpful

Kooth.com online crisis counselling service. They're only open some hours and again uk but might be helpful.

Good luck. We're all here for you and rooting for you. You've got this and you are good enough.

Thank you so much again<3
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I wish I could climb out of your screen and give you a hug, @meharmahshahid - I remember being your age and obsessing about my weight. 18 is tough. Really tough.

If I could go back in time and tell my 18-year-old self anything, it would be this: "You're beautiful, you really are. And you don't look as bad as you think, honestly. Eat a bit healthier, make smarter choices, but don't get hung up on the numbers and it will all sort itself out in the end. Oh, and one more time: I mean it, you are beautiful."

I can't speak to my 18-year-old self, but I can speak to you, and that same message stands. It's so hard to see yourself for what you really are at that age, and as unbelievable as it sounds right now, one day you will look back on this moment and wonder why you couldn't acknowledge how great you look and how great you are as a human.

@Geneveremfp has posted some really helpful links and she is so right in that we are all rooting for you. You can do this.
  • meharmahshahid
    Options
    I wish I could climb out of your screen and give you a hug, @meharmahshahid - I remember being your age and obsessing about my weight. 18 is tough. Really tough.

If I could go back in time and tell my 18-year-old self anything, it would be this: "You're beautiful, you really are. And you don't look as bad as you think, honestly. Eat a bit healthier, make smarter choices, but don't get hung up on the numbers and it will all sort itself out in the end. Oh, and one more time: I mean it, you are beautiful."

I can't speak to my 18-year-old self, but I can speak to you, and that same message stands. It's so hard to see yourself for what you really are at that age, and as unbelievable as it sounds right now, one day you will look back on this moment and wonder why you couldn't acknowledge how great you look and how great you are as a human.

@Geneveremfp has posted some really helpful links and she is so right in that we are all rooting for you. You can do this.

You guys are honestly so great, I feel like crying. It feels like this is the most support I've gotten out of anyone during my journey. I really hope I do get better in the future and look back and think back to this.
    18 is that age when you realize that sooner or later you are going to be pushed in the real world, and can't go back to being a kid again. I hope I can reach my journey as soon as possible, and be who I want to be, without the comments I get from others. I'm 63 kg and hope to go to 54kg (5'5) I'm so grateful for your support, honestly, it refueled me so much<3 <3<3
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    When the scale is the sole motivator and measure of success, you will find yourself discouraged easily because the body weight can fluctuate day to day. I find that I am more motivated when I do not center everything on the scale. I weigh in every morning but I use other indicators, such as how I feel, how I've reached mini goals, how my clothes fit, a current fitness streak, my state of mind, etc. to measure my success.