BMI/weight question

Options
I’m 5’9 and am obese with a BMI of 32. I’ve yo-yo’d with my weight all my life.

In 2011, I lost 50 pounds and went from a size 16 to a 6 in less than 7 months. (Yeah, diet pills. I know it wasn’t good for me.) At 160 pounds, I looked gaunt. Everyone told me I literally looked sick and I should quit dieting. But the diet clinic I was visiting showed me weight charts that said I should shoot for under 150 for my height.

Now, today I am nowhere near that weight and my first goal is to get under 200 (I’m 223), my second goal being 180. No one believes me when I tell them my weight. I carry it well with my height and frame. If I get back down to 160 I will look sick again, but according to the charts the 180 I want is still overweight! I just want to know what is a realistic, healthy weight for my height/frame.

Replies

• Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted with your medical professional? What specific health risk factors require you to "get to a certain number?" Fitness and weight loss should meet a goal that you can reasonably sustain. Don't make yourself nuts with the charts.
  • realnurse26
    realnurse26 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Have you consulted with your medical professional? What specific health risk factors require you to "get to a certain number?" Fitness and weight loss should meet a goal that you can reasonably sustain. Don't make yourself nuts with the charts.

No insurance. Would love to be able to consult a professional again, and I hope I can someday, but my circumstances just don’t support that at the moment. I’m trying to not focus too much on the charts, it’s just incredibly confusing at times.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp * and the only time I've had a BMI as low as 24 was after 6 weeks of undereating and overexercising during boot camp. (When I first arrived there, I had to get boots and hats from the men's side of the uniforms room because there weren't any big enough in women's. At 5'6", I'm not especially tall. I've always had a hard time buying bracelets. I wear men's shoes as often as I can get away with it.)

My goal is to get back into my skinny jeans from when I was a full time yoga teacher, which will have me at a Low Overweight BMI, and I'm ok with that.

*This calculator may be inaccurate for people considerably overweight. I still had a large frame when I had a BMI of 24 when I was in the military.
  • realnurse26
    Options
    Thank you, all, for your responses!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, and my goal weight is mid 170's.

I agree that 150 is too skinny for me personally, as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Here's something I do with my clients. First you need to know what you're lean body mass is. You can get an estimation of it by finding out what your current body fat is and subtracting it from your total weight. There are several sites online where you can try to get an estimate of body fat.

Once you know your lean body mass, you just have to decide what body fat percentage you want to be. Then use the formula: Lean body mass divided by 1- desired body fat percentage. Then you'll know the weight you want to shoot for.

EX: Lean body mass = 135lbs
    Desired body fat % = 25%
    1- 25% (.25) = .75

135lbs divided by .75 = 180lbs

So 180lbs would be the target weight.

This works for any height and frame.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• amyrosebennett674
    amyrosebennett674 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your post caught my attention, I’ve been researching this lately. I’m also 5’9” but I feel the answer you are looking for is so very different for everyone. Truly the goal isn’t to achieve a number on the scale, the goal is to be a healthier version of you, physically and mentally. Although I have a ballpark of where I’m headed but truly as long as you slowly incorporate changes that can be sustained, master those then reevaluate. Is it worth it to you to make some more changes. At some point the roads will converge to where you feel physically and mentally the happiest. You can live your life and enjoy the things that are important to you and physically feel your best. Even if it were only 20#, it’s about your quality of life, not everyone else’s opinion about it.
  • realnurse26
    Options
    Your post caught my attention, I’ve been researching this lately. I’m also 5’9” but I feel the answer you are looking for is so very different for everyone. Truly the goal isn’t to achieve a number on the scale, the goal is to be a healthier version of you, physically and mentally. Although I have a ballpark of where I’m headed but truly as long as you slowly incorporate changes that can be sustained, master those then reevaluate. Is it worth it to you to make some more changes. At some point the roads will converge to where you feel physically and mentally the happiest. You can live your life and enjoy the things that are important to you and physically feel your best. Even if it were only 20#, it’s about your quality of life, not everyone else’s opinion about it.

You are exactly right, couldn’t agree more. I’m just trying to set some kind of a realistic, but healthy, goal. Regardless, the scales are surprising me every morning, so at least it’s going in the right direction.

• digestibleplastic
    digestibleplastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do a Bod Pod or hydrostatic body fat testing or another reliable way to figure out your body fat %. Otherwise you and everyone else here are just guessing at what your ideal weight is.

For example, at an overweight BMI I had 28% body fat. That's healthy and normal for a woman even though BMI said I was too heavy. I would have been unhealthily skinny had I kept trying to lose weight to become "normal" on the BMI scale.