Walking for weight loss...

Options
I've read articles by people who claim that walking along with a healthy diet aid in their weight loss.

I'm curious to hear if only walking, and of course healthy eating, helped people to lose weight. If so, was walking the only form of exercise? And were you walking casually or briskly? Thanks.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking is great for fitness and adds a few calories to your day.
  • crispaholicshaz
    crispaholicshaz Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    walking at a pace thats gets your heart pounding is great cardio.. i lost, just walking few year ago... but over ate and regained.. I've just lost 1.5kg in last 2weeks....
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I used to walk for weight loss. If you have a lot of spare time, it's great especially if you have an enjoyable walk you can do multiple times. But I lost interest in walking around the suburbs for 1-2 hours every day, it got too boring. There is a mountain nearby which I would love to climb daily (4 hours up, 3 down) but I just don't have the time.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I listen to a wonderful podcast called “We Only Look Thin” which is a couple and the wife lost 150 pounds and the husband lost 100 pounds and they have kept it off for a number of years. They often talk about the fact that literally the only exercise they did while losing weight was walking outside (albeit a lot of walking). It won’t let you eat whatever you want, but being active through walking can definitely aid in weight loss and overall health.

Although I run 3x a week and do barre classes (strength training) 3x a week, I still walk as much as possible. Step counters are great for that. I average 17K - 21K steps a day.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I used to run, then injury moved me to elliptical or stair machine for cardio. COVID closed my gym. So now I walk 60-90 minutes a day (usually 60 min in am, sometimes another walk w a friend later) at 4-4.5 mph, and it has helped boost my calories enough that I feel more satisfied. It doesn’t increase my hunger like higher intensity cardio does.

I do lift weights, but I don’t count any calories burned there, since I don’t actually burn much in the actual exercise session.

Walking is the some form of exercise for my BFF (w whom I walk at night), and she usually walks at more a 3-3.5mph pace and loses weight. She adds more another walk/some extra time to her normal routine when she needs to lose.
  • Alisonzina
    Alisonzina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost 6.5 lbs and 1.5 inches off my waist in June just from walking, I’m a sahm with my kids so walking is basically the only thing I can do every day because I can put them in the stroller and use the tredmill when they nap or it’s raining. I was doing 15,000 steps a day then upped it to 20,000 the last week of the month and I’m gonna keep it at 20,000 for July. It’s not that hard for me to walk a lot. Sometimes we do a long walk like 7 miles or I break it up and take the kids in the morning, then go solo with the dog when my husband gets home, then again with the kids before it gets dark. I’m so bored in quarantine I do like 6-9 miles a day.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You cannot outrun your diet--meaning, you can't exercise enough to make up for eating well above your caloric need on a regular basis. (Actually, we gain from overeating even small amounts--eating 200 calories over your caloric need every day will result in a 10 lb weight gain over a year).

Walking has so many benefits, and supporting a healthy caloric deficit is one of them. I used to dislike walking--found it boring. I was always a runner. Well, many years later, I love walking and use it to add exercise and fresh air to my day--I still run, too. I try to do 2.5 miles every morning and evening right now. I'm coming back very slowly from a running injury, so I do my jogging as part of one walk. I also do most of my walking in dog parks with my dogs--and it's been awesome. They need the exercise (they go a lot farther than I do, and do a lot of sprinting) and I enjoy the time with them.

So, if you want to try walking, find a way to do it that makes you happy--it will take time to figure it out, but if all you do is slog through something boring, you won't want to stick with it. But remember to keep a calorie deficit if you want to lose weight, with or without the walking. Good luck.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I started walking when lockdown started. Think it's really helped my fitness and general wellbeing. I started off walking for 25mins just to get out of the house, now I'm walking for about an hour, five days a week. Burns a few hundred calories. I'd go every day if I had the time. I have lost weight but I'd say that was just by creating a bigger calorie deficit. Plus I've got to listen to a tonne of new music :)
  • wschleyer
    wschleyer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have neurosarcoid its hard for me to balance myself yet I keep going because it helps build musle and great for lungs and heart.
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight due to walking and calorie counting using my fitness pal too!
    A day at work for me I could do 15,000 steps a day :)
    Good luck with your weight loss journey xx
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Thestepper wrote: »
    Thank you for all the responses.

In the past, I would create a calorie deficit and do hiit workouts to lose weight. I know 90 percent of the weight loss happens in the kitchen, but I've found that I lost weight faster when I did hiit exercises.

However, I no longer can do high intensity exercises. I physically and mentally just can't do it, or rather don't want to do it, anymore; this is why I'm curious about walking for weight loss. I need something easy on the joints.

There is evidence to show that HIIT does create a higher/longer calorie burn than more traditional aerobic exercise for the same amount of time.

I hear you on the joint issue. I'm coming back from a knee injury and the walking is about 80% of my exercise, still. When I walk a lot, I'm outside more and away from home. Less time around food; more time in nature. It has been so good for me this spring and I suspect has made staying home a lot easier. Good luck; I hope you enjoy it and find it a worthy replacement exercise.

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Thestepper wrote: »
    Thank you for all the responses.

In the past, I would create a calorie deficit and do hiit workouts to lose weight. I know 90 percent of the weight loss happens in the kitchen, but I've found that I lost weight faster when I did hiit exercises.

However, I no longer can do high intensity exercises. I physically and mentally just can't do it, or rather don't want to do it, anymore; this is why I'm curious about walking for weight loss. I need something easy on the joints.

Do you swim? That might be another form of exercise that you can tolerate, and variety is good.

Of course you might not currently be able to do it, pools in the UK are still shut sadly. But might be worth a try when you can.