Over 60 and its not as easy as it used to be!

Options
I've always dieted on and off and its not generally been a problem to lose weight BUT.....now I'm older its so much harder and dispiriting.
I hate the shape that looks back at me from the mirror but its hard when you're retired and not as active any more.
I've joined StepBet and DietBet the last couple of weeks and that's been a real help and something different to obsess about! I know I can do it but it would be nice to hear from others who identify with my situation.
Keep safe everyone.

Replies

• helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not old enough (or financially set) to retired -but I'm 58, overweight and also doing StepBet and DietBet. I'm also doing HealthyWage and WayBetter.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    For me, I found that retirement gave me more flexibility for enjoyable activity, though it's true that there was less built-in incidental daily life activity. I'm 64, retired for a good bit already so pretty well adjusted to it. I joined MFP at about your age (I was 59), and have been maintaining since weight loss that first year, after around 30+ years of previous obesity.

While I hear what you're saying about some things being harder, I'd say it's a plus that by our age we usually know ourselves pretty well (makes it easier for me to game my foibles to achieve my goals ;) ), and probably have a decent handle on chipping away gradually at longer-term goals (having had to deal with other such situations in career, finances, home improvements, etc.).

Best wishes!
  • ReneeChantayRena
    ReneeChantayRena Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I understand it can be frustrating trying to lose weight keep healthy and enjoy your golden years.
  • kathsk53
    kathsk53 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I’m with you this lockdown hasn’t helped my gym closed yet to reopen and no date yet, weight seems to have stuck 1lb on 1lb off 1lb on again very disheartening, one day at a time we will get there
  • cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    It does take longer to lose weight at our age I am really inspired by @dmkoenig saying we are never too old and cited the example of the parents in their 90's remarkable! Gives us all hope!
  • AgnesFerniot
    AgnesFerniot Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One is as young as one feels...
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I buy into that being older makes it harder to lose weight. What I know.. is that I got burned out getting in shape...getting out of shape..and going back and forth all during my younger years. I got to a point where I was tired of doing it and felt like I truly had used up all the willpower given me for my lifetime. I also thought it would be harder because I was older..a great excuse to just not do it.

but..really not true. 2.5 years ago.... somehow my willpower of my youth came back and I lost all my weight. It was just as fast as 15 20 years ago. Now.. do I need some muscle work? Yes.. age does take its toll on muscle mass. But bottom line.. look at some of the older people on here in fantastic shape. It can be done. You just have to dig deep and tap into your youthful willpower. It is down there somewhere . Good luck finding it.

I don't buy it either, and if a person thinks this way, it is just an excuse to give up when things get hard. Not coming down on the op, but it is a fact.. I barely could walk without breathing heavy when I started in April 2019 at age 54....now I am doing 20 plus miles on my mountain bike every morning and weight training. I also see many seniors in their 60s -80s out walking or jogging.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Don't make it a diet, but a slow and gradual lifestyle change. You've dieted all your life on an off? Don't do that anymore, please! Select a small weightloss goal and learn to live with that, make small changes, learn how to eat and be active, and enjoy your life.

True words
  • bobbyorr99
    bobbyorr99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about losing weight after 60 (Im 59). The only thing that I could find that really is an age thing is that our metabolism slows down as we age. However, if we eat a healthy diet and we do exercise (both cardio and strength), we will lose weight and gain muscle. Thankfully, I do see that as I'm in the process of losing alot of weight. The important thing is to start and understand this is a lifestyle change that will contribute to having a better life as we age.
  • annliz23
    Options
    I think it's about being constant accepting the ups and downs as we get older we have to adapt for example this week no exercises as my back and knees hurt but next week I will be back to it. Since adding friends on here it has motivated me to keep going otherwise I would have given up. Good luck
  • AgnesFerniot
    Options
    down 2.5 #. B)
  • ReneeChantayRena
    ReneeChantayRena Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. I didn’t workout Yesterday. I had to wash some clothes, mop the kitchen floor and then I went on line to look at a few meal videos. I was back on track today. I don’t want to skip too many days because your muscles tend to get use to you flexing them. I am past the roughest part now when I crunch I just feel a burn but after the second set of 10 reps. I can see an indentation around my waste forming. I didn’t have waste. Lol!
  • annliz23
    Options
    I have also found yoga and pilates have helped me get stronger and helps my mobility (hip and back problems) as I get older.
  • AgnesFerniot
    Options
    Goal wt for last day of Jy is 205.
    Here goes nothing.
    B)
  • IWTBF67
    IWTBF67 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I’m 68 and determined more than ever to lose. Pre diabetes and high cholesterol. Would like friends for support!