LEGIT SUGAR QUESTION

Options
SOME WOULD SAY I'M TOO LEGIT....
TOO LEGIT TO QUIT....

THAT FELT AS AWKWARD TO TYPE AS IT MUST HAVE FELT READING IT.... LMAO

EITHER WAY I DO HAVE A SERIOUS QUESTION. I EAT A LOT OF FRUIT DAILY AND I LIKE MY SWEETS, NOT DAILY BUT I'M NO SAINT. I AM NOTICING THAT PEOPLE SAY SUGAR IS SOMETHING TO BE MINDFUL OF. I AM GLUTEN FREE AND IT HAS IMPROVED MY THYROID ISSUE AND MY BODY FEELS GREAT. I AM JUST CURIOUS IF THERE ARE GUIDELINES TO SUGAR CONSUMPTION. I'VE LOST THIS WEIGHT WITHOUT A DIETICIAN AND HAVE JUST LISTENED TO MY BODY. NOW THAT I'M FINE TUNING I AM CURIOUS ABOUT WHAT MOST PEOPLE EAT :)
THANKS,
SARAH

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I pay little attention to natural sugars. For me, this is primarily fruits and milk. I am mindful of processed sugars (starches), and try to avoid HFCS as much as possible.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    bump
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I pay little attention to natural sugars. For me, this is primarily fruits and milk. I am mindful of processed sugars (starches), and try to avoid HFCS as much as possible.

That's a smart man. You should listen.
  • JasonsWeightliftingWife
    Options
    I am also gluten sensitive and I eat alot of fruit. I worry about the same thing, Dr. Mercola says to only eat 25 grams of sugar a day. Which I think is very difficult to do, especially when you take grains out of your diet.

I would love to know what other people think. I don't do any processed sugars, sometimes I have to have a protein bar, but NO high fructose corn syrup and all that junk.

I eat relatively healthy food.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your thyroid condition remains stable and healthy, you should not be worried. Personally, I stay away from even natural sugars. Sugar just makes me crave more sugar. But, if I didn't have to deal with those cravings and subsequent binge eating, I'd probably share JACKSONPT's on it. Just stay away from the refined ones and you should be fine.
  • MovesLikePuma
    Options
    I agree with Jacksonpt. I was originally worried about eating a lot of fruit but have found that it doesn't seem to gift my loss at al. But if I eat too much processed sugar, it seems to mess up my loss for days.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your thyroid condition remains stable and healthy, you should not be worried. Personally, I stay away from even natural sugars. Sugar just makes me crave more sugar. But, if I didn't have to deal with those cravings and subsequent binge eating, I'd probably share JACKSONPT's on it. Just stay away from the refined ones and you should be fine.

While I agree somewhat with JacksonPT's post, I am in the same boat as MommaToSam.

I am gluten free and too much sugar from fruit or higher carb vegetables causes me to go into a tail spin. I eat primarily vegetables to keep my sugar content low.

For some people even natural sugars keeps the monster of sweet cravings alive.
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I have researched this topic to no end but have seen it cut in the middle. Some people feel that sugar is sugar, so you should stay at your limit. But if I eat a banana, then I'M ALREADY THERE. Other people feel that natural sugars from fruit are fine, and you should be able to eat as many as you would like (within reason of course).

My mom did a test on their blood sugar spiking from eating a bowl of oatmeal (just regular oatmeal, no refined sugar in it) compared to a piece of fruit. She found that her blood sugar spiked with the oatmeal and stayed about the same from the fruit. Maybe it's the fiber that surrounds the sugar, and it doesn't digest? I could be completely wrong... and I might have researched at the wrong places.

But still... I can't help but eat all that fruit!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have researched this topic to no end but have seen it cut in the middle. Some people feel that sugar is sugar, so you should stay at your limit. But if I eat a banana, then I'M ALREADY THERE. Other people feel that natural sugars from fruit are fine, and you should be able to eat as many as you would like (within reason of course).

My mom did a test on their blood sugar spiking from eating a bowl of oatmeal (just regular oatmeal, no refined sugar in it) compared to a piece of fruit. She found that her blood sugar spiked with the oatmeal and stayed about the same from the fruit. Maybe it's the fiber that surrounds the sugar, and it doesn't digest? I could be completely wrong... and I might have researched at the wrong places.

But still... I can't help but eat all that fruit!

I find that grains tend to spike the blood sugar more in some people and in others fruits spikes the blood sugar just as much as grains.................

Each person is different, so it is a case of using yourself as the test steak to find what works for each one of us.

Me, I am super sensitive to grains, beans and a lot of fruit - rears bad blood sugar readings and causes bad cravings...........which I find the cravings to go hand in hand with the ups and downs of the roller coaster blood sugar ride............

It is easier for me to stay away from those trigger foods than to eat them.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Quick hijack - HI GROKETTE! Haven't seen you around in a few days =) I miss your wisdom!