Polar HRM issue?? Or Am I just getting fitter?

Options
Question all those with a Polar HRM (specifically FT4).

As of late, I've been experiencing a lower heart rate and quicker drop in HR as well as a lower calorie burn according to my HRM.

For example in my Hip hop class, my HR can get as high as 184, but lately it's only been about 170. I used to burn 600-700 cals now I'm bearly getting 500.

What's the deal? Do I need to send my HRM in for maintenance or is my body getting more efficient?

Replies

• MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Could be a battery in the chest strap...or you are getting fitter :) Possible both...
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are just getting fitter!

Check a few times during the workout to make sure the sensors are working the whole time - but if it is just the upper level is coming down - yep, you are just getting fitter.
  • lcs1211
    lcs1211 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you are close to maintenance weight and healthier, it will be harder to get your heart rate up and keep it up - or at least that is my experience. If you haven't washed your strap, that will help as well (wash in machine in laundry bag with no fabric softener and then just lay out to dry). Mine was acting up a little last week and after the wash (which is recommended after every 5th use and rinse after each use) and now mine is working fine again. I have found since I am only about 5-10 lbs from my goal weight, it is much harder to burn calories and keep my heart rate up - just getting fitter I guess. Best of luck to you and hope this helps.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    When you weigh less, you burn less calories. I don't know specifically about the Polar HRM but I'll check back here because I'm interested in any responses. I'm thinking about getting one.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I asked Polar customer service the same thing. Your hrm does not give reduced numbers because of a low battery or a malfunction. Your body is working more efficiently.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yep. You're getting fitter (and used to your exercise). If you took a couple weeks off and started up again, you'd see it go up high again.

I also notice that hot weather vs. cold weather makes a difference.
  • mags2504
    Options
    I've notice this in the last couple of weeks at zumba. I have an ft7. Same on my 5k jog on the treadmill. I put it down to getting fitter.
  • sherrylhoward
    sherrylhoward Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If this is an exercise that you've been doing consistently over a long period of time, your body is getting used to it AND getting fitter, which is why you're not seeing the same HR. As a fitness instructor, my HR doesn't get as high as it used to in the classes that I teach on a regular basis, so I try to make time to do things that I don't normally do to get my HR up that much more. For example, I will teach a spin class, and work as hard as I can, but not be able to get my HR into that 90 -92% range like I used to. But, if I run (which I'm not used to doing) my HR will stay consistent in the 88 - 92% range for the entire run. You just have to change things up. Good Luck!!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Lower top heart rate, faster recovery, and a reduced calorie burn from the same exercise are all signs of increasing fitness! That's great, even if it does mean you have to change things up to get the same calorie burn. Congrats!
  • akgrl1020
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4, too. I would make sure your chest strap is snug, I know I had to adjust mine as I have lost weight. I think you are just getting fitter, though. It isn't as much of challenge as it previously was, so your heart rate does not get as elevated, and you are having a quicker recovery. I have seen the same thing with my running. Good luck!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Your heart rate has lowered therefore your calorie burn lowers. How do you feel during and after class? Less effort to complete the class or to keep up. If so I'd say your becoming fitter which is a good thing. Make sure you are keeping the user information current, like current weight and such. And then your battery could be low but I beleive it gives you a low battery warning if that occurring. Chances are you are just becoming more fit and if that's the case you have accomplished a great deal so BE PROUD>KEEP IT UP.
  • AnuMe901
    Options
    Most likely you're getting fitter. :smile:
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    When you weigh less you burn less. Unless your body is becoming more efficient at the exercise then I guess you might have to incorporate other types of workouts?
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I noticed mine did the same thing...but its mostly because my heart rate is lower even resting now and doesn't get as high during workours so I burn less which means your getting fitter:):) I don't know if the ft4 has the fitness test on it but if it does you can do that and it'll tell you where your at fitness wise..I have the ft40 which is just a step up from the ft4.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies!!

It just sucks not seeing the same burn as I'm used to, but its great to know my body is getting more efficient.....which means I have eat a little less (booo..cuz I love to eat) or boost up the intensity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Lowered heart rate does not mean that calorie burn has decreased. It means that the intensity at which you are working is now a lower percentage of your maximum--because your maximum has increased.

The HRM doesn't know the difference so it just keeps spitting out numbers based on your old level of conditioning.

If you are doing a quantifiable type of exercise (running, walking, cycling, etc), the response is simple---work harder.

If you are doing a class, then it is a little more complicated since your ability to increase your effort might be limited by the choreography of the instructor, physical coordination, etc. If you find that you cannot raise your effort levels to previous levels, then it may be time to choose a more challenging class.
  • ering
    ering Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Lowered heart rate does not mean that calorie burn has decreased. It means that the intensity at which you are working is now a lower percentage of your maximum--because your maximum has increased.

The HRM doesn't know the difference so it just keeps spitting out numbers based on your old level of conditioning.

If you are doing a quantifiable type of exercise (running, walking, cycling, etc), the response is simple---work harder.

If you are doing a class, then it is a little more complicated since your ability to increase your effort might be limited by the choreography of the instructor, physical coordination, etc. If you find that you cannot raise your effort levels to previous levels, then it may be time to choose a more challenging class.

Or depending on the class, add weights. Even just light hand weights can make a difference.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

If lowered heart doesn't mean my calorie burn has decreased, does that mean my HRM is inaccurate in calories burn? (I know there is already a certain degree of inaccuracy) I hope it isn't too off.
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A couple of HRMs I own have ability to change fitness level, current weight, etc. Have you adjusted yours to your current stats? I also cross reference the readings off HRM with online cals calculator and use avg on MFP.