Walking for weight loss

Can walking plus a calorie deficit help lose weight?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Yes.
  • Ghenry1892
    Ghenry1892 Posts: 5 Member
    So far that's all I've done, walking 4_5 k every other day and watching what I eat. I've lost 3 kg so far, but I'm sure in time I'll need to do more, not sure I'd have the courage for the gym at the moment.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    Absolutely!!!!!!

I ramped up my walking during lockdown because I was frantic to get out of the house. (We are fortunate to live adjacent to a wide walking/bike path as well as a beautiful and peaceful National Cemetery. ). I do a lot of exercise, but the additional walking made some more weight fall off.

Someone here suggested podcasts while walking and running. I’ve never done them before but now I’m addicted to a couple of true crime series.

Bonus neck flexibility because I’m always looking over my shoulder now!!!

Seriously, I’d rather be moving and listening to an interesting podcast than sitting and watching tv.
  • mmyellow
    mmyellow Posts: 13 Member
    Absolutely! I love walking and have a go to place after work where I can do some loops a safe area, I look forward to it every day.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Walking is great. If you struggle to get motivated when it's 90° and humid, check out walking workouts on YouTube.
  • BJM0970
    BJM0970 Posts: 8 Member
    It has worked for me. I tore ligaments running 1.5 months ago and had to wear a knee brace and stay off it and gained over 4lbs. I started brisk walking 4 miles a day and watching my diet just 3 days ago and have already lost 3lbs. Again diet and some weight training included.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member
    BJM0970 wrote: »
    It has worked for me. I tore ligaments running 1.5 months ago and had to wear a knee brace and stay off it and gained over 4lbs. I started brisk walking 4 miles a day and watching my diet just 3 days ago and have already lost 3lbs. Again diet and some weight training included.
    Props for immediately getting up and back out there!
  • GeneralSTpower
    GeneralSTpower Posts: 25 Member
    You will lose weight just by being in a caloric deficit, walking will help to boost the process increasing the energy difference. Walking has additional benefits, of not needing much equipment, less injury prone, helps with cardiovascularity too.