HCG - What is this?

Options
I've been hearing a lot about HCG. The reviews are not that great - also it needs a 500 calorie per day! Why take it!

Anybody out there taking this??

I also heard that if a MEN is taking HCG - and they take a pregnancy test - it comes up positive! weird!

Replies

• MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    *head desk*
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    ............. there are people on this site taking it. they have their own threads though, because the majority of people on this site disagree with it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a lot about HCG. The reviews are not that great - also it needs a 500 calorie per day! Why take it!

Because some people just like to waste their money drinking pee. :bigsmile:
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

Because some people just like to waste their money drinking pee. :bigsmile:

Ahahah.. i might have to hijack that.... best...answer...ever.
  • wallz8
    wallz8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have friends that have done this. It's basically a pregnancy Hormone from what I understand and peeing on the stick is a way to confirm the hormone is in your system. The first fthere are 2 types from what I understand. There is the kind you inject into your gut and another in drop form (but diluted). You can only eat 500 calories a day. Here's more: http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/diets/hcg-diet.htm

2 of those people lost weight fast, but didn't keep it off since they went back to eating bad and then followed with gall bladder issues b/c it was such a dramatic change.

The few that did the drops - lost minor weight, but were in different on the cost benefit.

That's all I know - sorry, it's probably not much help. My 2 cents: Stick with natural hard work - it will help change habits for the long term :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Disagree is putting it lightly.
    It's made out of pregnant lady pee. I don't drink pee.
    I have yet to see someone who has lost weight, then KEPT IT OFF.

You can be one of the pee bandits or get on board with the rest of us and change your lifestyle instead.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    *head desk*

ditto
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You can be one of the pee bandits or get on board with the rest of us and change your lifestyle instead.

Pee bandit... ROFLMAO!!! :drinker: :laugh: :drinker:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

I drink pee, but I draw the line at pregnant lady pee. It is also known as the Hungry Crazy Girl Diet. If you like tossing money down the commode, drinking that icky preggo pee and eating nothing, so turning into "Oscar the Grouch" then it could be fun.
  • reinach31
    Options
    I much rather do it the right WAY! Work hard at the gym and eat healthy.

I do know some people(not close friends) but I've heard they've lost a lot of weight in very short time.. but end up going to the hospital b/c their stomach was not accepting the food. scary!

Anyway, the only thing I've tried in the past(about a year ago and it did NOT work for me) was SLIMQUICK! Again, waste of $$.

I just thought I asked!

Thankx ya'll
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

I drink pee, but I draw the line at pregnant lady pee. It is also known as the Hungry Crazy Girl Diet. If you like tossing money down the commode, drinking that icky preggo pee and eating nothing, so turning into "Oscar the Grouch" then it could be fun.

I'm just going to go with a no comment and use my imagination to your wild orgies.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    *head desk*

Thanks for giving me my first chuckle of the day.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Is it seriously made out of pee? :noway:

I've never cared to research it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    HCG is the pregnancy hormone. It's what will give you a positive pregnancy test.

Back in the 1950's a doctor did some research on HCG and found that it is effective in burning fat when calories are severely restricted. But, no one today cares to understand WHY that actually happens or that it's a survival mechanism for women during pregnancy. HCG is present during the first half of pregnancy, which is why pregnancy tests are only accurate early on. The first half of pregnancy is also when many women experience morning sickness. Many women even lose weight during the first half of pregnancy without trying, even if they're eating a normal amount of calories. HCG, combined with increased levels of estrogen and progesterone cause a number of side effects during pregnancy and morning sickness is just one of them. While experiencing morning sickness most women have aversions to certain foods and smells, nausea and/or vomiting, and decreased appetite. In order to provide a developing baby with the nutrition it needs the hormones tell the body to go into an increased fat burning mode. How much fat is burned depends on the severity of the morning sickness.

This is a totally natural process but it is only natural during pregnancy. People on this diet and the doctors who recommend it don't seem to care that this is not a normal process for a normal person. The long term side effects have not been studied and no one gives much thought to the long term weight loss effects. This is just another quick fix diet that isn't healthy in the least. No one can survive on 500 calories regardless of how much fat is being burned. It simply doesn't give your body enough nutrition because vitamins and minerals aren't stored in fat cells, only fat, hormones and toxins get stored. This diet doesn't allow you to exercise and it doesn't teach you how to eat a healthy, balanced diet. The hormone may be natural but as I said, the process is not natural during any time other than pregnancy.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *head desk*

w222018622.gif

There ya go!
  • reinach31
    Options
    lol - too funny! :D

Just to be clear - I WAS NOT PLANNING TO TAKE THIS CRAP! hahhahaha
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    headdesk.gif?1273001727
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    This would be why my cousin was SUCH a c*nt yesterday. She's on like day 6 or something. THE stupidest diet I've ever heard of. I will laugh at her later. I'm too polite to laugh right now while she's in the throes of wasting her hard-earned money.
  • abazooday727
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_chorionic_gonadotropin

I found this interesting. A bunch of people I work with are using it, and I wanted to see what it was. Nothing worth having has an easy solution, IMO...Work it off, cancerous tumors are not fun. Everyone will lose weight if you are only eating 500 calories a day...Doesn't seem to help the real issues of WHY you gained weight to begin with...
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    This would be why my cousin was SUCH a c*nt yesterday. She's on like day 6 or something. THE stupidest diet I've ever heard of. I will laugh at her later. I'm too polite to laugh right now while she's in the throes of wasting her hard-earned money.

you are better than me, because I would have stood right in front of her with a big beer in one hand and a sammich in the other and then I would have mowed down the sammich and chugged the beer.