What to bring food to work in?

Options
Hi all, I'm having some trouble figuring out what to carry food to work in. (sorry for the poor grammar there) At this point, I'm bringing my breakfast, snack, lunch, and snack to work. I like cute lunchboxes and lunch bags, but none seem to be big enough to store all of this food! I've tried the "bring two lunchboxes every day" route, and the grocery store plastic bag route, and neither seem to be working for me. Ideally, I'd like something thermal-esque so I can throw an ice block thingie into it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    what are you eating? get a thermos for the soups, leak proof containers for leftovers, and toss fruit in a bag. bananas and oranges come in their own containers.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't get it :/
    I have a Thermos brand lunchbox and it's insulated and can keep quite a lot of food it in and it had two zippered compartments.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Maybe a small Igloo cooler? The kind with the handle on top.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I thought they made sone pretty large thermal bags that you could through something in. My wife has one that she uses for cold groceries. The bag is pretty big, I think she got it at target or wal mart.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Sorry, to be clear: I have the small containers/plastic baggies/etc. for the food items. I'm looking for ideas as to what to carry everything together in. Like a lunch box or thermal lunch bag or something, that will carry things like yogurt, veggies, a banana, a sandwich, cheese stick, waffles, or whatever all together. So I can put the bag in the fridge at work.
  • bethgarzonie
    Options
    I use a small ice chest. I use bottles of frozen water to keep everything cool. I drive a school bus, so no office or break room for me. I use and reuse plastic bags for my eggs and precut fruit. I also keep my extra water bottle and diet green tea in there.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I have one of those but it won't hold all of the food I bring. I leave the house at 6 am and dn't get home until 7 pm (or sometimes 10 pm) so I need to carry almost all of my food for the day in something.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    They make all different size thermal totes. I have 3 different sizes myself. One is large enough to hold lunch for me, my hubby and my 2 kids when we go out for the day. I think I got them in the grocery store. Shop around, anyway walmart or target should have them.
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    there is a "party" type of thing called thirty one Gifts. but you can get them online. they have various sizes of thermal totes. one is a picnic thermal tote which might do it for you but they have other sizes. the website is www.mythirtyone.com. might be one way to go.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have an insulated lunch bag.. that people make jokes about lol. They say I look like I'm going on a picnic. :)

It holds my breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks and 3-4 bottles of water.

oh and 2 ice packs
  • wendibartel
    Options
    there is a "party" type of thing called thirty one Gifts. but you can get them online. they have various sizes of thermal totes. one is a picnic thermal tote which might do it for you but they have other sizes. the website is www.mythirtyone.com. might be one way to go.

This is what I was going to suggest. I love my thirty one products. I have a ton of them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's loads of small, medium and large insulated coolers out there. Lots now with back to school stuff in stores now, and there was a lot in the beginning of summer with picnic supplies.

My husband has a solid blue one that has room for about six cans of soda (not that he takes that many) in a top compartment, then a small zippered compartment below that comes with a sandwich sized tupperware container. But I wanted to get him the Hello Kitty one. :wink:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    why not store stuff at work? if you eat cheese sticks every day, then keep a pack at work same with yogurt, and similar stuff. My coworker brings in 5 apples every Monday and keeps them in a bowl at her desk. She also has a box of cereal and a carton of milk.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    Thank you all! I will take a look at the thirty one products, and for some reason I hadn't thought of an insulated cooler/picnic bag! I can bring frozen water and ice packs so I don't have to fit it into the work fridge.
  • jlowensby
    Options
    I have a lunch bag I got from thirtyone....look up thirtyonegits.com They have different sizes and such, but mine works pretty good. I bring my lunch which usually consists of a salad, a fruit, and lowfat cottage cheese then I have raw fresh veggies in a ziploc baggie as well and I usually bring a snack or two for the afternoon. I bring my water in my shoulder bag.
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thermos have all sorts of bags www.thermosonline.co.uk
    :drinker:
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a Built lunch bag and I love it!

http://www.builtny.com/lunch-bags-totes-cat.html
  • rbryntes
    Options
    We aren't allowed to store food at work, and the work fridge is cleaned out every other day. In previous jobs I was able to keep a loaf of bread, package of meat, etc., in the fridge, but I just started this job a few months ago and have been having trouble with this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a soft insulated 6-pack cooler from Igloo that I use to bring lunch. It's not huge but I can fit my lunch, my husband's lunch (he works in the same building) and snacks in it. It's not especially "cute", just a baby blue bag, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make it in cute prints.