Should I lose weight?

Options
I’m 5’ 6”, around 119, and around 19.4% body fat. Would you recommend weight loss to me I can’t tell

Replies

• hadleyjones16
    hadleyjones16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I feel like you know the answer is no.
    In a way yes, but in a way no. Like I guess I want people to tell me I don’t because I feel like I can’t stop dieting. Like is this good enough? Can I stop now?
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I feel like you know the answer is no.
    In a way yes, but in a way no. Like I guess I want people to tell me I don’t because I feel like I can’t stop dieting. Like is this good enough? Can I stop now?

You should seek help for an eating disorder. You shouldn’t need other people to tell you when to stop or feel like you can’t stop dieting. It’s very dangerous.

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    You are already at the lowest end of your BMI. Have you looked into doing a recomp instead of weight loss?
  • hadleyjones16
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    You are already at the lowest end of your BMI. Have you looked into doing a recomp instead of weight loss?
    harper16 wrote: »

What’s recomp? Like building muscle in legs and stuff?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If you are not happy with your body composition at your current weight I would focus on building muscle. If you don't want to gain weight to do that I would look into recomp as mentioned. See this thread for more information

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • hiyasweety
    hiyasweety Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    darling, that’s healthy (don’t quote me im not an expert, but I know when people are under or over.) you don’t need to lose weight at all in my opinion, and I bet you already look amazing.
  • my4570
    my4570 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    that is a weight on the low end of healthy and almost at the “athlete” level of body fat. I agree with focusing on body composition; perhaps focusing on “toning” by building muscle without gaining too much fat. Or having strength goals / fitness goals rather than weight goals. Also just focus on enjoying life outside of the scale since you are a healthy weight!
  • hadleyjones16
    Options

hiyasweety wrote: »
    darling, that’s healthy (don’t quote me im not an expert, but I know when people are under or over.) you don’t need to lose weight at all in my opinion, and I bet you already look amazing.

Thanks that’s really nice of you to say, it makes me feel better about where I am
  • hadleyjones16
    Options
    my4570 wrote: »
    that is a weight on the low end of healthy and almost at the “athlete” level of body fat. I agree with focusing on body composition; perhaps focusing on “toning” by building muscle without gaining too much fat. Or having strength goals / fitness goals rather than weight goals. Also just focus on enjoying life outside of the scale since you are a healthy weight!

Thanks that helps me be more decisive. I lift (along with a sport and running) so I’ve thought before about being serious in regards to gaining muscle
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    It sounds a lot like when you look in the mirror, you're still seeing a fat person. Believe me, with your numbers, you're really not. You have a body many of us would love to have.

Did you take any photos at the start that you can compare, so you can better see for yourself that you have changed and you do look different now? I'm not saying post them online, because it doesn't sound as if you would be confident enough to do that, but do you have anything you can look at yourself?

The changes are so gradual that sometimes we really struggle to notice that we do look different after weight loss. Photos can help with that.
  • chantalnarcisse
    chantalnarcisse Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Not weight loss that sounds a nice slim size any smaller probably wouldn’t be ideal.
  • hadleyjones16
    Options
    It sounds a lot like when you look in the mirror, you're still seeing a fat person. Believe me, with your numbers, you're really not. You have a body many of us would love to have.

Did you take any photos at the start that you can compare, so you can better see for yourself that you have changed and you do look different now? I'm not saying post them online, because it doesn't sound as if you would be confident enough to do that, but do you have anything you can look at yourself?

The changes are so gradual that sometimes we really struggle to notice that we do look different after weight loss. Photos can help with that.

That’s exactly what I struggle with, I can’t see myself anything but wide. Pictures are a good idea, thanks for the tip