Bulking while pescatarian

Options
I’m currently trying to bulk while only consuming fish and animal byproducts (no meat from land animals.) I keep getting told that it’s going to be really hard to gain weight due to me only eating fish as a protein. Any non meat eaters got any advice on how to bulk

Replies

• giancarlov1191
    giancarlov1191 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you maintain caloric surplus, no matter what you eat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You were told wrong.

What is required to achieve muscle protein synthesis is...
    1. Sufficient volume of stimulus at appropriate intensity.
    2. Adequate protein consumption including sufficient EAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine specifically) which is plentiful in fish.
    3. Repeat and adjust volume.

To gain weight, eat in a surplus or eat more calories than you burn.

So one of the variables will be the amount of protein(fish in this case). General default will be 1g=1#bw for adequate protein consumption daily.
  • vindoza209
    vindoza209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! I’ll continue my gains, I have been eating 3200+ calories a day. And I’ve kept my carbs, fats, and proteins in line pretty good :) excited for results
  • stuffyknee
    stuffyknee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't know where to go for help, but this seems like a decent spot :) I'm a 118 pound woman, 5'3.5" in my 40s. Stress dropped me to 105 about 18 months ago, and I rebuilt through 2400 calories a day--vegetarian leaning vegan--and boxing. With COVID-19 I've been lifting at home and running. I find it harder to eat enough and am aiming to keep my minimum above 1800. Boxing starts up again now, but it'll be a lot less because of restrictions. I want to keep building muscle, and also need a little fat to cushion some of my pointier bits. Does Dirty Bulk work for women?
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    vindoza209 wrote: »
    only eating fish as a protein

As a pescatarian you hopefully know this, but you should be getting protein from other foods than just fish. Dairy, eggs, legumes etc. have lots of protein as well.

• vindoza209
    vindoza209 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    vindoza209 wrote: »
    only eating fish as a protein

As a pescatarian you hopefully know this, but you should be getting protein from other foods than just fish. Dairy, eggs, legumes etc. have lots of protein as well.

Sorry yea I misspoke fish is just my main source I am also consuming eggs, milk, beans and such. Just fish is my main source