Next step: cut or bulk?

Options
Hi everyone,

I’ve been in calorie deficit for few months and I’ve lost 7 lbs. I’m 22 years old, 5”8 and I now weigh 130 lbs. I don’t know my BF% as I’ve not been able to measure it in quarantine. If this information is important, I can measure it now that the gym is open.

My goal weight was 130 lbs and now that I’ve reached it I’m wondering if I should keep cutting or start bulking? I feel like there is room for more weight loss but I also feel like I’ve reached a healthy weight for my height and age. I want to gain muscle and I’m just starting a strength training workout program focused on glutes by Bret Contreras.

I’m unsure what my next step should be, keep cutting or start bulking? If start bulking, how to start?

Replies

• StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't think continuing to cut weight will help you right now. You can try a recomp or a bulk, up to you. I'm more a fan of recomp because gaining weight is hard for me mentally.
  • hirabid
    hirabid Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Based on your stats, I would imagine you are pretty lean and probably won't get the results you desire if you keep cutting. If you feel happy with your muscle base and just want that extra ab definition or glute pop, then cutting will get that... But if you still don't have close to the definition you desire, I would switch over to either a small bulk or maintenance to recomp. With recomp you can slowly build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I am similar stats to you (5'7", 132-135lbs) and have seen decent results over the past 5 months. It is slow going so patience will be key.

It all depends on your ultimate physique goals and what you are comfortable with.

Would I be able to still grow my glutes if I’m cutting? I’m definitely going to look into recomp, right now I don’t know much. Do you have any guides where I can start? :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    hirabid wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Based on your stats, I would imagine you are pretty lean and probably won't get the results you desire if you keep cutting. If you feel happy with your muscle base and just want that extra ab definition or glute pop, then cutting will get that... But if you still don't have close to the definition you desire, I would switch over to either a small bulk or maintenance to recomp. With recomp you can slowly build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I am similar stats to you (5'7", 132-135lbs) and have seen decent results over the past 5 months. It is slow going so patience will be key.

It all depends on your ultimate physique goals and what you are comfortable with.

Would I be able to still grow my glutes if I’m cutting? I’m definitely going to look into recomp, right now I don’t know much. Do you have any guides where I can start? :)

Being on the leaner side in your case I would say probably not much growing of glutes if you were to continue cutting. Some people like to get very lean before they bulk, but it could also be time wasted that would be better spent building. I would say if you wanted to cut I wouldn't go too much lower. But I would only do that if you have the intention to gain after.

On the other hand, recomp is best if you aren't ultra lean and have something to work with.

Here is a great resource on it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Let me know if you have any questions. I have run bulks, cuts and now recomp using programs by Bret. Lots of success with them in the glute department :)
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm at the end of my cutting phase and will be bulking soon. But, there is more fat I can drop even though I'm already in decent shape. So, keep cutting or start bulking?

The way I'm approaching it is I will be cutting again in the future. Bulking will probably add some bodyfat. So, I'm ok with not cutting all the way down to my final cutting goal right now. Get close, get fit, then bulk, then cut, etc...

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jtechmart wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm at the end of my cutting phase and will be bulking soon. But, there is more fat I can drop even though I'm already in decent shape. So, keep cutting or start bulking?

The way I'm approaching it is I will be cutting again in the future. Bulking will probably add some bodyfat. So, I'm ok with not cutting all the way down to my final cutting goal right now. Get close, get fit, then bulk, then cut, etc...

I think unless you are a bodybuilder stepping on stage there will always be some fat to cut. I think the key is to get lean enough to make nutrient partitioning more optimal (so you gain a good ratio of muscle to fat), also to see what you are working with and get to a place where you will be comfortable putting on weight again. I know if I cut down and I start looking worse (and losing size in places where I want to gain), then it's time to gain.
  • sheena_shewell
    sheena_shewell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey hun I have recently done a bulk have put on 4kgs and have grown my arms and booty whilst keeping a small waist. If you want a booty with good muscle definition eat more and lift heavy. If ur not mentally ready to gain weight I'd suggest maintaining and recomping and hitting the weights working on your lower body.