Keto, weight training and inches gain

Options
I have been on keto, maintaining calorie deficit, I have had about 5 gym sessions.
Barbell rack: military press X 5, squats X6, row x7, deadlift X 8, push up X 9 lunges X 10
Plank 30 sec
This entire cycle X 5
15 mins elliptical

I lost 2kg to start with. Since then no weight loss. My waist is thinner but thighs are getting bigger. Makes no sense.
I am short with thick legs anyway.

Anyone has any advice?
Thanks

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How long a period of time are you talking about?
    What is your height and weight?
    How much of a deficit are you in?
  • medhakhanna471
    medhakhanna471 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

151cm, 62kg, I m sticking to 1000kcal, intermittent fasting, almost 4 weeks on keto
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

151cm, 62kg, I m sticking to 1000kcal, intermittent fasting, almost 4 weeks on keto

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day, and you should be eating back your exercise calories.
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day, and you should be eating back your exercise calories.

Thank you but eating back exercise calories doesn't work for me. I m anyways not losing weight. If I eat my exercise calories my weight goes up. According to my trainer, I cannot afford to eat more than 1200kcal anyway.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Thank you but eating back exercise calories doesn't work for me. I m anyways not losing weight. If I eat my exercise calories my weight goes up. According to my trainer, I cannot afford to eat more than 1200kcal anyway.

So subtracting for your exercise how many calories are you netting a day?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Can you make your diary public so we can give advice there? If not losing weight, it usually comes down to calories, or retaining water.
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So your trainer is recommending you eat below the scientifically proven bare minimum for a sedentary female to eat with your exercise program?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    Really good advice. Thanks. I usually use carb manager but I am opening my diary and logging in FP too now. I m also going to weigh everything.
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    So I have started logging in FP. I can't seem to calculate exercise calories. But the rest is accurate. Measured on kitchen scales.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So I have started logging in FP. I can't seem to calculate exercise calories. But the rest is accurate. Measured on kitchen scales.

You can get a rough estimate for your strength training by entering the duration of your workout like this (in the CV part of the exercise diary)
    vw8zlnqiennh.png

There's also a database entry for elliptical but your machine's estimate might be more reasonable (if might also not be a great estimate as they are very variable).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If this is traditional weight lifting with sets and reps and rests of 2-5 min, then it's in the database under Strength Training - it's not many calories and that is true.

If this is circuit training with rests around 1 min, then that is under Circuit training and since it's moving closer to cardio it's higher calorie burn, which is true too.

Or is this body weight type stuff, no bars and weights almost?

You lost 2 kg in what space of time - like when starting the keto in that 4 weeks doing IF?
    A large part of that would have been water weight then if you were on more balanced diet prior.

Inches gained is easily water weight in muscles trying to repair if you had good workouts.

Those 5 gym sessions is in the same 4 weeks, or more recent and how often?

You may be seeing that the info you initially provided was really lacking in any useful details for anyone to discern anything.
    If you really thought it was enough info - then you have a misconception about the whole workout, diet, weight loss thing and all the variables that play a part and can cause an effect.

You sound inspired to lose the weight really fast.
    Be very careful of such inspiration with a lack of knowledge.
    You didn't gain it fast probably, and promises by a "trainer" to lose it fast should be huge red flag if they are saying that.

• medhakhanna471
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    If this is traditional weight lifting with sets and reps and rests of 2-5 min, then it's in the database under Strength Training - it's not many calories and that is true.

If this is circuit training with rests around 1 min, then that is under Circuit training and since it's moving closer to cardio it's higher calorie burn, which is true too.

Or is this body weight type stuff, no bars and weights almost?

You lost 2 kg in what space of time - like when starting the keto in that 4 weeks doing IF?
    A large part of that would have been water weight then if you were on more balanced diet prior.

Inches gained is easily water weight in muscles trying to repair if you had good workouts.

Those 5 gym sessions is in the same 4 weeks, or more recent and how often?

You may be seeing that the info you initially provided was really lacking in any useful details for anyone to discern anything.
    If you really thought it was enough info - then you have a misconception about the whole workout, diet, weight loss thing and all the variables that play a part and can cause an effect.

You sound inspired to lose the weight really fast.
    Be very careful of such inspiration with a lack of knowledge.
    You didn't gain it fast probably, and promises by a "trainer" to lose it fast should be huge red flag if they are saying that.

Hey, thanks for helping me out. Here is some additional info. I started keto/IF on 13th June. I lost 2.5kg until end of June. Since then my weight has not shifted.
    My 5 gym sessions were in the last 10 days.
    This is the program. I use a barbell with weights.
    Barbell rack: military press X 5, squats X6, row x7, deadlift X 8, push up X 9 lunges X 10
    Plank 30 sec
    This entire cycle X 5 - I complete the entire work out in 30 mins. So 5 min/cycle
    15 mins elliptical

I have had the usual DOMS that one gets with weight training. So you could be right about water weight due to muscle repair.

Hope the above info helps.

I am inspired to lose weight and get into a good shape. I am willing to be patient but I need to know that I am headed in the right direction. If I need to change something I need to know that too :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    So a huge part of that 2.5 kg was water weight that everyone starting keto has.
    Usually everyone starting a diet has some extra weight loss due to less stored carbs and less food in body, but keto is a whole lot more water lost.
    Normally you don't do math with weight loss until the 2nd week out to account for that effect.

But you would have lost some fat too. Measurements are great to go along with scale, because there are many reasons for water to fluctuate throughout the whole body - but a few measurements where fat is lost last or most - very helpful to know.

So for sure you have gained water weight for repair, DOMS, maybe eating more sodium with more protein now (just 1 of many ways to shift water weight), since you started the workouts recently.

That would be circuit training - that does burn more carbs since it is so intense, and body is going to get them somewhere. Fat isn't fast enough metabolizing to meet the needs. Neither is ketones, neither is lactic acid.
    This asks the body to store more carbs to improve for the next time.
    Problem is you aren't giving it many to store.
    That's stressful.

Protein can be used, usually it's excess protein that will be converted to glucose and stored.
    I'm really trying to recall the last research I saw if the body will take protein that could be useful elsewhere and use it for conversion anyway because of the demands placed on it.

No matter what - that is stressful on the body and therefore increased cortisol wouldn't be unusual at all - increased water weight. Can slowly gain 20 lbs that way.
    How many weeks of fat loss could be hidden by gaining 20 lbs?

You can keep plugging along, if that is the reason, there is a max, so eventually the scale will be go down.
    Sadly it also means the body is in a highly stressed state, going to fight you for fat loss.

Do you seem more tired during the day/evening?
    AC working plenty easy to keep you cool, almost too cold?
    Of course digesting protein takes more energy, but fat sure doesn't, so that may or may not make you warmer when you eat and after.
    Hair still growing at normal rate?
  • medhakhanna471
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    So a huge part of that 2.5 kg was water weight that everyone starting keto has.
    Usually everyone starting a diet has some extra weight loss due to less stored carbs and less food in body, but keto is a whole lot more water lost.
    Normally you don't do math with weight loss until the 2nd week out to account for that effect.

But you would have lost some fat too. Measurements are great to go along with scale, because there are many reasons for water to fluctuate throughout the whole body - but a few measurements where fat is lost last or most - very helpful to know.

So for sure you have gained water weight for repair, DOMS, maybe eating more sodium with more protein now (just 1 of many ways to shift water weight), since you started the workouts recently.

That would be circuit training - that does burn more carbs since it is so intense, and body is going to get them somewhere. Fat isn't fast enough metabolizing to meet the needs. Neither is ketones, neither is lactic acid.
    This asks the body to store more carbs to improve for the next time.
    Problem is you aren't giving it many to store.
    That's stressful.

Protein can be used, usually it's excess protein that will be converted to glucose and stored.
    I'm really trying to recall the last research I saw if the body will take protein that could be useful elsewhere and use it for conversion anyway because of the demands placed on it.

No matter what - that is stressful on the body and therefore increased cortisol wouldn't be unusual at all - increased water weight. Can slowly gain 20 lbs that way.
    How many weeks of fat loss could be hidden by gaining 20 lbs?

You can keep plugging along, if that is the reason, there is a max, so eventually the scale will be go down.
    Sadly it also means the body is in a highly stressed state, going to fight you for fat loss.

Do you seem more tired during the day/evening?
    AC working plenty easy to keep you cool, almost too cold?
    Of course digesting protein takes more energy, but fat sure doesn't, so that may or may not make you warmer when you eat and after.
    Hair still growing at normal rate?

Thanks you so much for responding. So I used to be more tired in week 2 -3. It is a lot better now.
    I have hypothyroidism. So I tend to feel cold especially after my meals but hot before.
    Hair growth seems normal.
    I didn't measure but I have definitely lost inches from my waist. I am fitting in clothes I couldn't fit in before. I ll try and record measurements for future