Fit women who are short and stocky? Looking for inspiration.

Options
HippieGypsySoul
HippieGypsySoul Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2020 in Motivation and Support
So I’m 5’4” and even at my leanest (140 lbs) I’ve always felt big because I’m stocky. My legs are super muscular, I’ve got huge calves. My forearms are very defined and muscular.

Sometimes I do not feel feminine - I try to focus on my strength but it can be a challenge. I feel like I’m built like a man. 😕

Can anyone share pics or links to profiles for women around my height who are stocky but still feminine looking? I could really use some realistic role models to look at when I’m feeling like a hobbit.

Thanks!

Replies

• camillasmith1987
    camillasmith1987 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5 foot 4 and muscular. I weigh 132 at the moment and still feel feminine. I'm not sure what the rules are about pictures but happy to be friends and motivate!
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    Thanks!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and anywhere btwn 130-140. I used to compete in powerlifting, so I'm pretty muscular (still bench and deadlift, but squats were killing my foot, so I stopped competing).

I'm not a particularly "feminine" lady, but I'm definitely never mistaken for a male. My butt is too big and shapely to ever be mistaken for the butt of a male.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.
    I suppose getting back down to 140, I might feel differently. I’ve been looking up women of my height and haven’t really found anyone looking stocky so maybe it’s just that I need to lose the fat layer and I won’t feel so hefty. I haven’t been 140 since I was quite young and I got there in a really unhealthy way so I suspect losing another 30-40 lbs will make a much more noticeable difference in my physique now that I’m eating right and lifting weights.

I hold most of my weight in my stomach, upper arms and upper back so I feel like a linebacker right now.

• my4570
    my4570 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I’ve always considered myself an “athletic” build as I carry my weight in my upper arms, inner thighs, and calves. I’m 5’3 and was 125-130 for the past two years, but recently have shed some weight to be 118. I totally get it with the stocky/linebacker build; I’ve always had broader shoulders and a small waist so it makes my shoulders look even broader. Losing a little weight has improved my confidence so much! My goal is to be around 112 and then focus on toning during maintenance. I already have sooo much leg muscle, so it was just a matter of losing some outer fat to be able to notice any definition...same with my triceps. There isn’t a need to lose weight since you are healthy! But I did personally find losing just 10ish pounds to be a significant difference!
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    The woman from the YouTube channel 'My thoughts will probably offend you' is shortish apparently. She's a personal trainer. There are numerous photos of her floating around online, plus her videos.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    my4570 wrote: »
    There isn’t a need to lose weight since you are healthy! But I did personally find losing just 10ish pounds to be a significant difference!

Thanks for your reply!
    I definitely have some weight to lose. I’m working my way back down. And I think maybe once I’ve manage to get the extra fat off I will feel less stocky. That seems to be the consensus.

• HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    Thanks @threewins I will look her up
  • Clive_1963
    Clive_1963 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    your body is just a shell, the beauty is whats inside.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    @TiisTitanium
    Thank you for sharing!
    I can absolutely relate to the peasant reference you made. Lol
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    @Clive_1963
    Thank you. I do realize that and I’m working on body image but it’s not always easy. This is why I asked for examples of women who share my stature 😊
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have the same physique. I have broad shoulders and carry all my extra weight in my stomach and upper body. In the past when I’ve lost weight it was much less noticeable and I actually like my body at a healthy weight. Right now I have about 30 pounds to lose so it bothers me. I’ve noticed though that as I age my weight distribution is slightly shifting! 😊 I don’t know if it’s because I’ve not been strength training my upper body much anymore or simply my age but I definitely look more balanced.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    @Kupla71
    Thanks for your comment. I definitely feel better when i'm lighter. I have about 20lbs until I'm back down to where I was when I last felt decent - but even then I still felt big. I am hoping to be able to lose 30-40 lbs total. I have been looking at photos of women of my height that I'd like to look like, and getting a bit discouraged that many of them are another 10-20lbs lighter than that. I'm not sure that's realistic for me so I've been on a search to find women who are more "dense" like me, while reminding myself that my body is unique to me and I can only try to improve myself. My stomach and my arms are my biggest insecurities. Ugh.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I’ve put my goal as getting down to 140 lbs because I think that’s a realistic goal but really I think being around 125-130 or less would be a more appealing weight for me. I’ve always had a solid build. Even as a kid my mum described me as solid. It’s kind of a good thing in that I’m reasonably strong but it’s not a delicate look. I like feeling strong though. My stomach is my “biggest” problem area.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Your description made me think of @PowerliftingMom!!! She’s badass! I haven’t seen her on the boards for awhile, but maybe this will summon her and she’ll come post some pics.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I hear you. I’ve put my goal as getting down to 140 lbs because I think that’s a realistic goal but really I think being around 125-130 or less would be a more appealing weight for me. I’ve always had a solid build. Even as a kid my mum described me as solid. It’s kind of a good thing in that I’m reasonably strong but it’s not a delicate look. I like feeling strong though. My stomach is my “biggest” problem area.

That is absolutely me as well. I really don't know how i'd get down under 140 lbs. That's the lightest I've ever been and I starved myself to get there. I won't do that again.

Do you happen to have PCOS? I do and allllll my weight goes to my stomach. Ugh.
  • HippieGypsySoul
    Options
    Your description made me think of @PowerliftingMom!!! She’s badass! I haven’t seen her on the boards for awhile, but maybe this will summon her and she’ll come post some pics.

Thanks!
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm short (5'3") with wide shoulders and not much in the way of hips but it never occurred to me that I was not feminine When I was doing triathlons I weighed 128 When I weighed 114 I looked terrible. Someone said I looked like "a hank of hair and a bone" . I once bought a suit and the skirt was a size 6 and the jacket a 12. It's hard when the media portrays the ideal woman as tall and willowy. Try to embrace the beautiful you.