Protein

Options
I always seem to be going over on my Protein allowance. I always thought protein wasnt the enemy it was more fat, carbs, and calories that were. Will going over my protein allowance daily hinder on my weight loss?

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    It isn't a problem, and you can change your protein goals yourself, if you don't like seeing red. Personally, I aim to go over in protein each day, so the red in that column means "success" to me!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No... I changed my goals to 45% protein, 25% carb, 30% fat ..... do what works for you!

It will vary based on individual sitaution but this works for me as I have PCOS (insulin resistance) so lower carbs helps me lose weight easier.
  • DDaniels1234
    Options
    Ohhh Ive had the same problem, glad I don't need to be worried. :)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just have the MFP set up and I go over protein and fiber almost daily. It hasn't hurt my weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As long as you aim for .5 - 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass, then you are good. so if you weigh 150 and about 30% body fat, to calculate LBM [weight - (weight x BF%)]; 150 - (150 x .30) = 105. So that means you should eat 55-100 g of protein.

Also, not all carbs are your enemy, it's simple and processed/white carbs that are the enemy. And fats are healthy for you.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've read about 4 different studies now that all state your body can only process about 1.4g of protein per kg of body weight in a day. Anything more than that is just excreeted in your waste. It doesn't hurt you to have more but you don't have to push the limits more than that. So if you convert your body weight to kg and then multiply by 1.4, you'll have your optimum intake of protein according to the studies I've read. This is what I've been following and for me at 170lbs it equates to about 130+ grams per day.