Sit ups

Looking for exercises to improve full body sit ups any ideas?

Replies

• Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Crunches, by cycle crunches, planks, squats, v ups and anything that engages your core because you’ll strengthen it more and more over time
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,976 Member
    Sit-ups and crunches are no longer recommended for core/ab strengthening due to the risk of lower back injury.

Hanging or seated leg raises are a better option for direct core work, as are many types of lifts and exercises that work the core indirectly, such as squats, deadlifts, farmer walks, sandbag carries, tire flipping or sled push/pulls.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Dead bugs are also good as you also learn to do core exercises while keeping your lower back on the ground.
  • tegass1994
    tegass1994 Posts: 11 Member
    Sit-ups are hard.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Hollow rock holds. Maybe only a few seconds at first but you’ll get better quickly
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Sit ups only hurt your back if you round your back while performing them. A lot of people struggle to keep their back straight and sit-ups wouldn’t be for them. I focus on keeping my back straight while doing them and have no back issues. I also do crunches on a cable machine.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Try googling pilates seated roll downs, or half roll downs. It is an exercise for absolute beginners, to start figuring out form for core work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Among the types of exercises good for direct ab work, situps are pretty much at the bottom. There are so many better ways to perform direct ab work.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    edited July 2020
    https://www.healthline.com/health/sit-ups-benefits

That is a useful article talking about the benefits of sit ups. That said, if you don’t like sit ups, if they hurt your back, if they don’t target your abs properly, then don’t do them.