Where are my bodyweight/calisthenics beginners?

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
I started training bodyweight on Monday and it was not very successful in the sense that I've not done anything like this in ages and most things looked rather sad, and I'm still experimenting with suitable equipment/work arounds. I'm following the Reddit Recommended Routine mostly.

Did another round yesterday, which went much better. Proud to have a 30 second dip bar hold and 30 second planks. I also improved on ab wheel use by anchoring my lower legs underneath the sofa. Previously I'd somehow managed to get sore muscles just underneath the sternum due to lack of strength. Ouch! No such problem this time.

Anyone else doing something similar and want to write along?

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Not sure if it counts or if I would be considered a beginner but I do some bodyweight workout as part of my normal workout routine and part of judo. Since judo gyms are closed right now, what I'm doing to keep up with judo is more bodyweight conditioning type stuff - cartwheels, roundoffs, wall walks, handstands, etc. I still need the wall to do a handstand but I injured my shoulder last year and so I'm still building my strength (and shoulder mobility) back up.
  • yirara
    yes, totally! I guess everyone is welcome here. Lets see if some more people do show up.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    https://youtu.be/i5LmxXz_HII
    Something like this? I've been doing her workouts for almost 2 months. She has some yoga/pilates/bodyweight type workouts a couple times a week lately.
  • yirara
    edited June 2020
    Hello DancingMoose (I so love that name!) I don't think I could do your video: the music would drive me insane :D Also the reason why i don't go to gyms. I don't want blinking screens and loud music around me. I'm doing this one here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

I have no idea where this comes from as i've not done a lot of sport since last summer apart from a bit of running and walking, but I can hold a proper 40s plank. My HR shoots up at around 30 seconds though and I need quite a rest afterwards :D Otherwise I end up on my belly an awful lot. Ab wheel? Not strong enough. Hyperextensions? Um... Pushups? Slow negatives. At least I manage 6 now.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Hmm...I never thought the music was overly distracting...and there's no blinking lights/screens...I know the intro is loud and obnoxious, but the rest of the video isn't
  • yirara
    Yay, today I managed to do pushups! These are super difficult for me and I usually need months rather than weeks to learn them. Looks like I chose the right routine. I managed 3/1/1, ok, or rather 3x0.85/0.85/0.85 as I still wiggled myself up a tiny bit :D
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    I love Reddit's bodyweightfitness subreddit and their recommended routine. It's very balanced and you will definitely gain strength. I find most of the people that part on the subreddit to be supportive and helpful as well.
  • StargazerB
    yirara wrote: »
    Yay, today I managed to do pushups! These are super difficult for me and I usually need months rather than weeks to learn them. Looks like I chose the right routine. I managed 3/1/1, ok, or rather 3x0.85/0.85/0.85 as I still wiggled myself up a tiny bit :D
    Are you following the push up progressions? You can start at an incline to make them easier and to ensure your are using correct form.
  • yirara
    StargazerB wrote: »
    Are you following the push up progressions? You can start at an incline to make them easier and to ensure your are using correct form.

Oh yes, I do. But I only have the back of my sofa to work with. None of my other furniture is suitable. Hence I went from 8x3 easy inclined ones to slow negatives. Tried a push-up in the previous session without luck, and again yesterday and had a result.
  • StargazerB

Oh yes, I do. But I only have the back of my sofa to work with. None of my other furniture is suitable. Hence I went from 8x3 easy inclined ones to slow negatives. Tried a push-up in the previous session without luck, and again yesterday and had a result.

Do you have a bath tub? That would be a good transition from the couch to the floor.
  • yirara

Do you have a bath tub? That would be a good transition from the couch to the floor.

Nope, as they aren't common here. And nothing else that I could use. Even my chairs have a too awkward shape. But I'm getting there, thus no problem. It's all about improvising. Hey, I do dip holds on a corner of my balcony, and sliders are old, discarded socks.
  • StargazerB

Nope, as they aren't common here. And nothing else that I could use. Even my chairs have a too awkward shape. But I'm getting there, thus no problem. It's all about improvising. Hey, I do dip holds on a corner of my balcony, and sliders are old, discarded socks.

You gotta with what you have, good luck with it!
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Hello DancingMoose (I so love that name!) I don't think I could do your video: the music would drive me insane :D Also the reason why i don't go to gyms. I don't want blinking screens and loud music around me. I'm doing this one here: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

I have no idea where this comes from as i've not done a lot of sport since last summer apart from a bit of running and walking, but I can hold a proper 40s plank. My HR shoots up at around 30 seconds though and I need quite a rest afterwards :D Otherwise I end up on my belly an awful lot. Ab wheel? Not strong enough. Hyperextensions? Um... Pushups? Slow negatives. At least I manage 6 now.

I've done a few bodyweight routines and when I looked at the reddit recommended routine I thought it was the worst one I've ever seen recommended. What kind of a bodyweight program requires THAT much equipment? Pull-up bars, dip bars, rowing equipment? And if it's a bodyweight program, why do you need dumbbells and barbells? Most worthless bodyweight program I've ever seen...

I'd recommend YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) or Convict Conditioning. Both are pretty much true bodyweight only programs with lots of progressions, especially the Convict Conditioning program.

Hope that helps a bit.
  • yirara
    briscogun wrote: »

I've done a few bodyweight routines and when I looked at the reddit recommended routine I thought it was the worst one I've ever seen recommended. What kind of a bodyweight program requires THAT much equipment? Pull-up bars, dip bars, rowing equipment? And if it's a bodyweight program, why do you need dumbbells and barbells? Most worthless bodyweight program I've ever seen...

I'd recommend YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym) or Convict Conditioning. Both are pretty much true bodyweight only programs with lots of progressions, especially the Convict Conditioning program.

Hope that helps a bit.

Look again. YAYOG needs something to do pullups, rows (doors/tables), chairs or other things for dips, etc. it's basically exactly the same: you basically use what you have. The YAYOG way of how workouts are build up are not for me though. As does convict conditioning (pullup bar, chair, door, etc). basically it's all the same. It's just what format you prefer.
  • yirara
    My workout kit:
    A pull-up bar for screwing into a door frame. I do have three kettlebells. Other than that I use
    old pair of socks as sliders (works on wooden floor)
    yogabelt over pull-up bar for rows and a few mobility things. can also use a table for rows once I get there
    90 degree corner of balcony for dips
    ab wheel? blackroll and a solid piece of round wood
    and a small and low balcony table for various other things.

Biggest annoyance: when it rains as I don't want to bring the table inside or do dips in the rain. Otherwise there's no problem at the moment.
  • letsdothisej
    letsdothisej Posts: 5 Member
    I'm doing YAYOG and I've just finished week 9 of the beginner programme (1 week to go!) . I did it a couple of years ago after having my 2nd child and it knocked off my weight, but then I stopped after the 10 week programme when I was back to my pre preg weight . I maintained over the past few years, but 9 weeks ago I realised how weak I've become and want to build up and maintain my strength (and muscle!) this time! A sort of recomp I guess :) I'd love to hang around here with like minded people as most the posts I see are cardio mad people or weight lifting mad people hehe :)
  • letsdothisej
    letsdothisej Posts: 5 Member

What about an upturned washing/laundry basket? In the UK they're only about a foot tall or so I'd guess, not sure where you're from or what you use :) I've been using that anyway as my dining chairs are too high and the step for the kids for the loo is too low :)
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    I want to do more body weight strength training! I have wooden rings, but their current location isn’t working well, I need to find another way to hang them... not many options. I am floundering around without a suggested beginner routine, you tube videos are great for ideas, but I need to look for a printout to have by my side to work through.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    I want to do more body weight strength training! I have wooden rings, but their current location isn’t working well, I need to find another way to hang them... not many options. I am floundering around without a suggested beginner routine, you tube videos are great for ideas, but I need to look for a printout to have by my side to work through.

Have you tried a tree? I currently attach mine to a tree at the local park.

I pick a skill each day and focus on it.

Anatranik has an incredible rings routine which covers a lot of skillwork.

For hypertrophy, I do the following split twice a week.

Workout A
    RTO Push-up
    Ring Judo Push-up
    Ring Archer to Fly
    Ring Pike Pull Through
    Ring Dips

Workout B
    Ring Pull-up
    Ring Inverted Pull-up
    Ring Chin-up
    Ring Stagger Chin-up
    Ring Rear Delt Row