Is calories the main factor for weight gain?

Options
Most of the fitness people I ask for advice say to me that I should eat more calories. What I got to know about calories is that
100g of Potato chips has 500 calories
100g of chocolate has 550 calories

Suppose if I each just 200g of chips and 200g of chocolate all day, thats 2100 calories. So if it's above my calories burnt..will I gain weight ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Yes. When you consume more energy than your body can use, then your body will store the excess calories. Doing this consistently will result in gaining weight.

Someone who consistently gets all their calories from potato chips and chocolate will eventually have consequences from failing to meet their nutritional needs. You can gain weight even if you're malnourished, so that's something to keep in mind.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    If it's above your NET maintenance calories -- calories consumed - exercise calories -- yes, you will gain weight (regardless of where the calories come from).
  • kirsh200
    kirsh200 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes. When you consume more energy than your body can use, then your body will store the excess calories. Doing this consistently will result in gaining weight.

Someone who consistently gets all their calories from potato chips and chocolate will eventually have consequences from failing to meet their nutritional needs. You can gain weight even if you're malnourished, so that's something to keep in mind.

This is absolutely surprising to me. Thanks for clearing my doubt. Actually I could be eating some foods that are less in grams but having high calories.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    kirsh200 wrote: »
    Most of the fitness people I ask for advice say to me that I should eat more calories. What I got to know about calories is that
    100g of Potato chips has 500 calories
    100g of chocolate has 550 calories

Suppose if I each just 200g of chips and 200g of chocolate all day, thats 2100 calories. So if it's above my calories burnt..will I gain weight ?

If your maintenance needs are 2100 per day and you eat 2100 cals worth of chocolate & chips: you'll maintain. But you'll probably be hungry/miserable/feel lousy most of the day. In terms of bulk or quantity, that is not a lot of food - so its not likely to keep you feeling 'full' even if you split it out into 3-4 'servings' of each. And that quantity of grease and sugar: would leave me feeling sick to my stomach.