time for gym?

Options
I've been looking at success stories, and seeing all this time people spend in the gym makes me wonder - are those of you who spend hours on end in the gym not working? I mean, I fit in about 20 min at home, but can't imagine getting to a gym! I have 3 kids - one in daycare, one in elementary, and one is 6 mo. old. I get up at 5am, leave my house with the middle child at 615am, drop him at daycare and me to work by 7am. Work til 4pm, pick up middle child then drive 30 min to pick up the baby from her sitter. By the tiem I get home it is 5:15 and the husband comes home w/ the oldest. I make dinner while overseeing that the oldest does his homework and by 630 we are done eating. Kids get baths and showers- i bat baby, husband tends to middle and oldest showers on his own (2 bathrooms and baby in her little tub). Then I spend much needed time w/ the kids, let the oldest read a bedtime story, and get them in to bed. Husband begins laundry and I feed baby before her bed time. Then I have to get the dishes done and kitchen cleaned, hubby stil lwroking on laundry.. or he may do kitchen so i can spruce up the bathrooms and vaccume. By the time we're done with all of that is is pushing 830 ... No way I could get to a gym , workout, and back at a decent hour. I work in medical and i am not going to risk being groggy so i have to get a decent amount of sleep... So yeah i do 20 min at home maybe every other night.. then shower and in to bed by 10.... only to do it all again.........
someone - help! I want to commit moretime so if you think of something , im all ears!

Replies

• rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Do you have a gym at or very close to your work? I've been goign to the gym in my building - I go during lunch or take a late lunch and workout, then eat at my desk while working. It isn't ideal but it works.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Personally, I am just going to school right now, I'm currently the only parent to my two toddlers, but I out them in the daycare at golds
  • allison_joan
    Options
    If you can't find time for the gym during the week make sure you commit to at least 45 minutes to working out on Saturday and Sunday. During the week maybe you and your family could go for a 20 minute walk after dinner? During your lunch break at work, walk around while eating if its possible. And after all at least you're doing dishes, laundry, and other household chores which do burn calories!
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would suggest work out videos that are under an hour long. You really don't need a gym to shed weight.
  • jennifer0626
    jennifer0626 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get into a routine. My schedule is much like yours, two kids to daycare at 7:30 and get to work at 8:30. Desk job until 5. Home to eat dinner and hang out with the kids until bath/reading/homework/bed at 7:45 and 8:30 respectively. It's tough, but I do plan on going to the gym at night. We are also going to start heading to the gym as a family to swim or for the husband and I to work out for an hour while the kids are at the child center in the gym.

On the weekends we try and pump up our active time together and take lots of walks or swim or fit in extra time outside doing other things. Now that the weather is beginning to turn, we will move indoors to the gym to work out more and swim inside.

If the weather is particularly bad or I need to do a quick work out, I have some DVDs and podcasts for workouts that I can do right when I get up or some yoga to do right before bed.

Not sure I helped at all but I am interested to hear what others do as well.

Jenn
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym instead of housework. It's a tradeoff but housework can wait until the weekend. Plus you can take probably your younger 2 with you, or all three, depending on the childwatch hours. You could go straight after work and take those 2 with you to childwatch, get 30-60 mins in, then come home and eat. If you're short on time, skip the laundry that night and have hubby have dinner waiting for you when you get home. Or, is it a 24 hour gym? What time do you go to sleep? Can you go to the gym 9-10 and still be in bed by 11, which is a reasonable amount of sleep, and once you get in a routine it will be very normal and easy to get out of the house and go and you will feel like something is missing if you don't go!

I used to go in the morning before my son woke up and before I had to be at work, but that only required being up by about 6:30. Before that I used to go most every evening around 7ish (off work at 6/6:30) to be home by 8 for dinner and getting the boy to sleep at a reasonable hour. That annoyed hubby a bit - me being gone in the evenings, and no chance of him coming with - so I cut back to doing that to about twice a week. Currently I go only Wednesday evenings and Saturday mornings because we have some special circumstances going on, but I'm trying to get back to going maybe 2 evenings a week and 2 early mornings a week. I'm also going to work in some DVDs because I can do those in the morning or evening.
  • cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Chantel, I'm exhausted just reading your schedule and very much ashamed of my earlier whinging to hubby. My three babies are now 20.22 and 23 but are all currently at home this week. It's like having 3 6 foot tall puppies bouncing around the house with all their possessions in boxes and them leaving dishes everywhere. I went back to school yesterday where I work as a teaching assistant from 8.45 to 3.15 with a half an hour break. During the 6 weeks holidays I went to the gym early every morning. I've found it harder yesterday and today to go after school, after reading your day I shall bounce there on Thursday! LOL x
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I started my weightloss I did no exercise and about 2 months in I started fitting an evening run....simply put on your trainers and get out there for 30mins, it makes a world of difference and you can do it whilst dinners in the oven. Its about making small changes to your otherwise hectic lifestyle.

Good luck x
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I spend 14 hours a week at the gym, but ya, i'm lucky enough not to have a "real job". I just maintain the house, take care of my in-laws, keep tabs on my kids, and entertain 6 busy dogs. :D
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I'm a single dad. My youngest is 5. My issue isnt the gym, its the sleep, or lack there of. If you can afford one, get a home gym...even if its a basic one like a Total Gym. From there, work with your husband to get you more time in your day. Maybe he can start cooking?? If he values you as a person and is supportive in your efforts then he should step up. even 30 minutes more of something is better than nothing or excuses. If you cant afford a home gym, get the resistance bands, an exercise ball, and maybe a medicine ball....I found a great time to work out, for myself...that's when my little guy goes to bed. 7:30 ish. Yes Im exhausted, but I am dedicated.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    You don't need a gym. You simply need to exercise... and it sounds like you're managing that.
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    Options
    I suggest making a weeks worth of food during the weekend. Oh well leftovers. I have two kids, husband, and job. However, I make an effort to hit the gym. I sometimes bring 1 or 2 kids with me. I have learned to "shorten" certain things like getting ready. I shower at night and sleep w/ wet hair. Otherwise I just go to work w/ wet hair and let it air dry. I also try to have easy dinners.. (i.e. roasted chicken from supermarket).. i makes life easier.
  • kirkemorgan
    Options
    My fiance has 2 kids, works 1 full time and a part time job, is volenteer firefighter and is on a downtown development board, she gets to the gym 3 times a week because they have babysitting there. She does her cardio at home then the kids get on the TM and do some too. So find a gym with a babysitter or have your hubz watch themwhile you workout. I would do that for my girl.

p.s. I'm her trainer too
  • pholbert
    pholbert Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do EA Sports Active 2 at home.Right now I am doing a 9 week program. Did 3 week one first. You set 4 workout days a week. The workouts are about 30 min. I haven't missed one yet. Cause I love seeing -0 workouts missed-. You can also set up your own workouts. And try to walk with hubby and dog. The diary has been the best thing for me. You dont realize what your eating till you see it in writing.
  • megz85g
    megz85g Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    during the week i'm up at 5am, start work at 6am and finish at 4pm. i usually go straight to the gym unless i'm doing a class which is a bit later. home by 8pm cook dinner and go to bed.
    on the weekends saturday i work 6am-12pm and do a 2 hr session in the afternoon, sunday i sleep in til 8am then do 2 hrs in the morning, usually two classes.
    its just a case of making the time, housework and clothes washing get done on the weekend and meals during the week are usually quick and easy
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 20 minutes every other day at home, then kudos to you. I don't think you need a gym at this point. I have 3 children, and it always took at least a year for me to get back to normal after each of them. I belong to a gym now, and I love the time totally to myself listening to a book while I exercise. However, my youngest is 4 which makes a world of difference.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    When my kids were younger I mainly walked on a treadmill at home, then when the oldest started taking swimming lessons at the local Y - I discovered a step class that I could do at the same time as her lessons twice a week. Then I added Saturday mornings. Then gradually as the kids got older and easier, and with my husband's commitment to helping with their schedule - I managed to fit in more classes. Now I usually manage 5-7 hour classes at the YMCA each week. You just have to do what you can with your current situation and take it one step at a time. It sounds like you are already fitting in time at home, maybe just try carving out a little more time in your routine, and then a little more. I think the key is scheduling it like you would an appointment, and taking baby steps.
  • patilee
    patilee Posts: 125
    Options
    I've read that 80% is what you eat and 20% is working out.
    If you don't have time to exercise, don't stress out about it. Watch what you eat. Walk a little more, up stairs, across the parking lot etc. But keep it in perspective.
    Good luck!!